Sam Houston St. vs. ORU 2nd Round

theeagleman5

thanks to Warren and Damen for their contribution to ORUMBB. 

i'm not going to bag on any players or coaches, but some things need to change (recruiting philosophy, coaching strategies, etc.).  this in an unacceptable outcome after steping down in conferences.

• Upvote 1

Don't worry, 82.....the CBI or CIT WON'T come calling....... |(

Sutton has gone through a lot over the last couple of months with the loss of his mother. I am sure he is ready for the season to be over too.

This season has been a big disappointment for everyone.

Terry - how long would your employer allow you to use the death of your mother to rationalize your poor job performance?  Scott is not twelve years old - he is a grown man, with his own family.

Yeah....Warren really came up big in the CLUTCH, didn't he???......that sequence was about as bad as it gets.....a big time player steps back and puts up a 3 ball that could have won the game at that point in the final 10 seconds.....he tried to drive and couldn't even get off a shot or draw the foul.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!..... :fubar:

Even if ORU had won tonight....TheEagleman was calling his dentist to schedule a double root canal at 8:30pm tomorrow night....rather do that than watch more of this team....... |(

thanks to Warren and Damen for their contribution to ORUMBB.

i'm not going to bag on any players or coaches, but some things need to change (recruiting philosophy, coaching strategies, etc.). this in an unacceptable outcome after steping down in conferences.

The ulimate goal is winning, advancing the program, & putting the players in best position to succeed. Something needs to change.

Let's go Liberty!!!..... :clap:

Welp . . . should we start a Dederick Lee "Days Until He Gets on Campus" countdown? 

Other bright spot: Korey Billbury is a winner. That kid is going to be great . . . regardless of how terrible this season was. 

In case you did not watch his postgame on SLC TV...

Coach Sutton said they would welcome a chance at CBI or CIT.  He thinks they would win some games. (not sure what he's basing that on)

He also said SHSU's physical play took Warren out of the game and the officials were not going to call a foul every trip down the court.  He said this team never reached it's potential.

Coach Sutton said they would welcome a chance at CBI or CIT.  He thinks they would win some games. (not sure what he's basing that on)

Please no . . . 

He also said SHSU's physical play took Warren out of the game and the officials were not going to call a foul every trip down the court.  He said this team never reached it's potential.

We were in the bonus at something like the 12 minute mark. No room to complain about the refs . . . 

Tough crowd. I was stating the obvious about what Sutton has been dealing with. I have dealt with grief and know how debilitating it can be. That is not to excuse coach Sutton's performance - and I don't think he would make any excuses. The failure this year is on the coaching staff (recruiting, game plans, lack of motivation, etc) as well as the players. I suspect that we might see some changes in the lineup (players not returning?) next year.

Tough crowd. I was stating the obvious about what Sutton has been dealing with. I have dealt with grief and know how debilitating it can be. That is not to excuse coach Sutton's performance - and I don't think he would make any excuses. The failure this year is on the coaching staff (recruiting, game plans, lack of motivation, etc) as well as the players. I suspect that we might see some changes in the lineup (players not returning?) next year.

I probably was a little harsh with my thoughts after another disappointing game.  I think everyone is very disappointed with the outcome of this season, given the perceived talent level that we had this year. 

without naming names, if you are 3 or 4 years in the program and you either can't get on the court or contribute when you do, those scholarships need to be opened up.

go find an undersized widebody to clog up the paint...they seem to excel in this league.

I agree that there have been some curious coaching decisions. Coaches can get a little set in their ways and stubborn at times. Old habits like certain player substitution patterns and when to or not to call timeouts can be hard habits to break even if it may make sense to do so. There is nothing wrong with scrutinizing these things especially after a season like this. But I wouldn't want anyone else to be running the program. Scott has a strong track record of success. However I do have a wish list...

I would like to see a little more of Brandon Conley.

I would like to see timeouts called to kill a scoring drought.

I would like to see some called plays out of timeouts that actually work.

I would like to see the offense focus more on the low post instead of settling for missed jumpers.

I would like to see a legit starting PG on this team that you can rely on with at least a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

I would like to see a team that could play consistently on defense.

By the same token, it is not Scott's fault when Glover and Niles go cold. Perhaps having such a short bench caused fatigue to catch up with our guys in the 2nd half of several games this year, including tonight' s game.

We (staff and players) did not seem to be ready or get used to the physical style of play in the Southland Conference. I wanted to see someone get mad and respond - but no one did. Too much complaining and not enough attitude. Obi Emegano will provide a level of toughness next year.

And we need leadership on the floor. Our seniors are good kids but they are not leaders. Hopefully some of the returning players will grab the leadership mantle next year.

I hope our returning players spend a lot of time shooting baskets, practicing rebounds, watching tape, etc. to get better in the off season.