Catholic 7 could be catalyst of another chain reaction (USA Today)

SOLO_Gold

According to Stu Durando, a sportswriter with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, ORU isn't completely out of the mix but "seemingly a long shot." He also tweeted to me that he thought the decision was going to be made based on, "NCAA tourney potential, geography, and finances". 

But I'm with ORUAlum; I think Valley is thinking to itself that there isn't 1 single school that can "replace" Creighton, so they might as well leverage the best market for TV money. 

the Chicago tv market is third largest in the country.  i think it is obvious that Valpo, UIC, or Loyola will be added,  by comparison, the KC market is 31st and Tulsa is 61st.  i bet this decision is being driven by tv sets for a better tv contract rather than by overall strength of athletic department.

Better to go with the strongest athletic dept. The TV landscape is bound to change over the next few years, count on it. The Internet is going to change TV (as it did newspapers, music, etc...) The Second Circuit Court ruling the other day was pretty big step forward. Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu are trying to become networks before the changes are fully realized.

A larger metro doesn't mean that you are free from the "Bowling Alone" phenomenon. In a country of 300+ million people the most popular TV show "only" gets 17 million viewers. That will dip as more choices are added.

Aereo Wins a Court Battle, Dismaying Broadcasters

AEREO challenges one of the most basic tenets of the television business. Broadcasters have been trying to sue it out of existence for a year. But after suffering a big setback on Monday, the broadcast world may have to learn to live with it. A federal appeals court in New York on Monday upheld a ruling in favor of Aereo, the start-up Internet service that streams stations without compensating them. The decision set the stage for a full-blown trial.

• Upvote 1

I hope the MVC officials and presidents realize that just because a school resides in a metropolitan area does not mean there is any possibility of TV interest in that institution. "If you build it, they will come" is not a reality. The "Chicago" schools are invisible now and will remain invisible. Bad argument to use in adding these schools.

I have heard that the site visits will be finished today or tomorrow. It appears that Belmont has declined the opportunity to join the MVC. The decision(s) will come down to what the university presidents want in a member school.

As was stated elsewhere in this thread, if I were the MVC my list would include ORU, Dayton and St. Louis.  With the current shake-up of the A-10, now may be the opportune time to pick both Dayton and St. Louis from the A-10. Dayton is not too far east from the current  conference makeup, brings a nice areana, good support for basketball, fair size tv market and rich history with it.  Also, with the departures of Butler and Xavier, Dayton will now be the only midwest school in the conference, along with St. Louis.  With St. Louis, you get a team that sits basically close to the center of the current MVC, has a great areana, good support, rich history, located in a large metro area, and is the only D-I program in St. Louis.  As for us, if you can't figure that out nothing I post will help you.  By adding these three teams, you are adding three teams that have a proven recent and longterm track record.  Also, they all have proven over the years their respective committments to athletics in general and basketball in particular.  In the end, the "new" MVC with these three teams added has the potential of not only sending two (2) teams to the Bid Dance, but actually multiple teams every year.  In the end, this new conference I think could challenge the old Big East in competitiveness and respect, and in the process land a very good tv deal for itself.

I also agree that adding Valpo, UIC and Loyola does not get you the Chicago market at all.  With the exception of Valpo's run 15 - 20 years ago, and Loyola if you want to go back to the early 1960's, these three teams are basically after thoughts in Chicago.

people on MVCfans are stating that UIC will be joining the valley.

one would think Oakland to the Horizon will be the next domino to fall.

Reports are UIC will be added... Probably only UMKC was worse. Oakland will move to the Horizon.

Hilarious if true and good for Kampe.

Wow - UIC??? What a headscratcher. That program is flat on its back RPI-wise. Are the other schools even vaguely aware of the financial crisis occurring in Illinois and the possible/probable impact it will have on state schools?

I also thought the MVC was going to try to keep its balance of private/public schools the same.

All of these reports are coming from one blog story. I seriously doubt the member presidents have taken a vote since the site visits ended today (or tomorrow). It may end up being UIC, but I am pretty sure is not even close to official yet.

Clif Smart â€@ClifSmart2h (President of Missouri State University) 

Site visits to prospective valley schools went well. Despite reports on twitter, no decision made on new member. Still couple weeks off.

---

I told myself a couple of weeks ago that they wouldn't make a decision until after Wichita State's run is over; they're going to want to capitalize on all the gained momentum. 

I wonder why the Horizon doesn't have a bigger TV contract even though they are located in Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, & Chicago. |(

• Upvote 1

Wichita State fan here,

Have you guys had a visit yet?

I'm not really partial any longer on who I would like to see added.  I would like it to be 10 only and not 12.  Just cleaner that way with true home/home series against entire league.  

No doubt Creighton leaving sucks big time and can't be replaced.  However I still think the Valley is an attractive conference.  Wichita State alone has 1 sweet sixteen, 1 Final Four, and 1 NIT championship in last 8 seasons.  Bradley, SIU, UNI have all semi recent sweet sixteens.  UNI will always be solid as long as Ben Jacobson is coaching, Barry Hinson seems to have already gotten SIU pointed back in the right direction, Geno Ford will get things fixed at Bradley, etc.  Even without Creighton it's about as strong as mid major as they come (A-10 I don't think is really mid major).  Teams with really good years will still be able to earn at larges and earn fairly high seeds.  Funny though WSU was a 5 seed last year but lost in first round compared to 9 seed this year.  

Anyways good luck if ORU is pushing for membership. 

• Upvote 1

Good luck this weekend, Dub...TheEagleman will be rooting for the Shockers to win it all.... :clap: