Summit Tourney 2012

TrueBlue82

NDSU outlasts Oakland 3-2 in 11 innings. I'm sure both teams were disappointed to use an extra two innings of pitching, but especially Oakland, who will now have to play five games in three days to earn the title. Oakland has to be concerned with their five errors. With that level of defensive play, they won't stick around Tulsa until tomorrow night.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• TrueBlue82

• ORUTerry

• ORUJason

Gutty win by the Eagles tonight. Facing the same lefty that one-hit (and nearly no-hit) ORU in Cedar City and pitched nine shut-out innings last year at JLJ, the Golden Eagles broke through with two runs (RBIs from Trevino and Schiller) in the bottom of the eighth to knock off Southern Utah. Conference pitcher of the year Drew Bowen gets the win, giving up only an unearned run in 8 innings.

Bring on the Bison!!!

Big comeback win for ORU tonight....would have been tough going to the losers bracket....nice game by Bowen to outdue the SUU lefty who gave up on the 2 runs on 5 hits.....Trevino comes up huge again....Does Coach Walton go with Torrence, Griller or Gonzalez vs NDSU tomorrow?.....tough call but I am wondering if he will roll the dice with Gonzo....I am thinking he saves him for Game 3 and goes with Torrence and the bullpen.....any thoughts out there?... :nerd:

Geoff Haxton said on the post-game that he suspected Walton would go with Giller tomorrow, but it was clearly only a guess. A tough game tonight and the team kept their heads in the game and finally cashed in a couple runs in the bottom of the 8th.

The SUU lefty was not really a fastball pitcher. He was not "bringing the heat." Instead he was just mixing up his pitches and keeping the hitters off balance. ORU made a lot of contact but kept grounding-out or popping-up.

If I remember correctly, in the top of the 8th (maybe 7th) SUU had a runner on 2nd base with only 1 out who tried to steal 3rd base and was just barely thrown out. A great throw by Pickar. I told my son how surprised I was that the SUU coach would try to steal 3rd when they are already ahead by 1. I felt that play was a turning point in momentum for the rest of the game. Up until that point SUU had the momentum and could have possibly scored another run with a base hit in that inning when they had 2 outs to work with. I guess the SUU coach got greedy and was trying to set up a potential sacrifice fly. I thought that was over coaching in that situation.

Definitely a tough loss for SUU because they seemed to be in control of the game until the 8th inning came around and their lefty tired out a little bit.

Great patience and confidence by ORU tonight and a great win!

One more loss and the T-Birds are done... REALLY done, since the baseball program folds at the end of this season (which should be sometime tomorrow).

One more loss and the T-Birds are done... REALLY done, since the baseball program folds at the end of this season (which should be sometime tomorrow).

SUU done forever. They have to feel snake-bitten... leading both games heading into the eighth inning... and leave Tulsa 0-2.

Don't look now but we might be done forever, too.....ORU stunned by NDSU this afternoon 4-3 in ten innings....ORU blows a 3-zip lead late wasting a great performance by Gonzalez.....now our backs are against the wall...must beat Oakland tonight and sweep NDSU a pair tommorrow....will our streak of Summit championships end in our final year in the league?....oh my..... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

ORU leads Oakland tonight 3-2 and still batting in the home 7th.....we just got a pair in the 6th to come from behind....good effort on the mound tonight by Griller who has given way to Rush......what's happened to our bats this weekend?.... :sweat:

ORU takes a slim 3-2 lead into the 9th inning....TheEagleman has no fingernails left....... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

ORU wins 3-2!!!....one down and two more to go....great relief pitching by Matt Rush to get the save in this victory over Oakland....the Grizz are eliminated and ORU has a rematch vs. NDSU tomorrow....hopefully, two games.....we are looking at possibly seven games vs. NDSU within the past week.....these teams should be very familiar with each other.....TheEagleman would think that the Bison have the pitching edge since we've played the extra game....but maybe not.....guessing that Torrence will go in the opener tomorrow.....should be an exciting day at JLJ.....can NDSU end ORU's streak of 14 straight Summit titles and NCAA appearances?....does ORU get an at-large bid if we lose?......it's probably win two or we are out.....the pressure is on the Good Guys tomorrow..... :sweat:

TheEagleman agrees....gotta win two on Saturday....not gonna be easy vs. the Bison.....Who will be our starters?....Torrence and ????..... :nerd:

TheEagleman will say this.....the ORU bats had better come alive on Saturday or we will have no reason to watch the NCAA Selection Show on Monday afternoon..... :nerd:

TheEagleman agrees....gotta win two on Saturday....not gonna be easy vs. the Bison.....Who will be our starters?....Torrence and ????..... :nerd:

My bet would be Zufall for the second game start (if we win the first game). I have to believe that Bowen would be available for an innning if needed, but think Cheech and Giller are done for the series. I could see Springs and Rush still making an appearance tomorrow, if needed, too; however, there's Alec Smith, Lars, Martony(?) and Trevino available if needed, too.

TheEagleman will say this.....the ORU bats had better come alive on Saturday or we will have no reason to watch the NCAA Selection Show on Monday afternoon..... :nerd:

The hits need to be plentiful and timely. We left 13 runners on base in the second game and still won. I think we left 9 or 10 runners on the bases in the first game, too. We're leaving WAY too many runners in scoring position this season.

We won the third (7 inning) game against NDSU last weekend by a score of only 3-2 on a walk-off single by Logan Dominico. We run ruled the fourth pitcher 10-0 in the Sunday finale last weekend. I hope we play well enough to get to the #4 pitcher.

Spring threw a lot of pitches between last night and this afternoon. Maybe he would be available for an inning in Game 2 tomorrow at the most would be my guess. If we can get to a 2nd game tomorrow our pitching strategy should be interesting.

ORU stranded 22 base runners today between the 2 games. I expect we will cash in on more of those opportunities tomorrow.