UTSA Backing Out Of WAC Deal? (and other conference realignment stuff)

Old Titan

That is what I was thinking.

Could be interesting times in the Summit League.

Hard to imagine that Oakland wouldn't jump to the Horizon if they called to take Butler's spot.....old friends Valpo and the Grizz in the same conference?.....oh my!...... :nerd:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7911693/oakland-wants-take-butler-place-horizon-league

Oakland wants to join Horizon

May 9, 2012,

DETROIT -- Oakland University wants to be in the Horizon League and hopes it isn't kept out by the University of Detroit -- again.

"About 10 years ago, there was interest in us from the Horizon League and Detroit stopped it," Oakland coach Greg Kampe recalled. "I know that's a fact because I called the athletic director then, Brad Kinsman, and he told me."

Kinsman said Wednesday that Kampe's recollection is accurate. . . . (read more)

I said when this story came out the in the first week of May that it was a mistake for Oakland to so publicly politic for Horizon admittance. Deals like this are not accomplished through the media.

And the fact that, a month later, the schools currently being mentioned seriously for Horizon membership are Davidson and Charleston of the Southern League, leads me to believe Oakland's gambit at best had no impact, and at worst actually hurt the Grizzlies chances for Horizon membership.

I said when this story came out the in the first week of May that it was a mistake for Oakland to so publicly politic for Horizon admittance. Deals like this are not accomplished through the media.

OT I think you are right. You can read through the lines of the comments from the Horizon League commissioner:

"We're not going to play this out in the media," LeCrone said. "These are delicate matters and we want to handle this process with respect.

"If we decide to go beyond the number of nine schools, which is not absolutely necessary, we'll do it in a prudent and thoughtful way."

Kampe puts foot in mouth again?....what else is new?.... :razz:

Say what you want about Kampe, but he tells it like it is.

Refreshing in the coaching business, which is generally filled with politically correct 'coach-speak'.

tmh8286, why does your avatar not show up on my computer?

I have no idea. It just quit showing about a week ago. I need to get a new one up. I've actually had quite a bit of trouble with my avatar over time. it just disappears for some reason.

I've got a photo that I want to put on there but so far haven't been able to get the software to accept it. I've had that problem too - it will accept one photo but not another - same format, same size, everything. I don't know why it's been so cantankerous with me about avatars. Am I the only one?