UTSA Backing Out Of WAC Deal? (and other conference realignment stuff)

Old Titan

According to this story (and many others like it), UTSA has called a Wednesday regents meeting to accept an invitation to join Conference USA, instead of the WAC as previously planned.

It would be effective in 2013; and they would have no exit fee since they never actually joined the WAC (that was supposed to be July 1).

And Texas State is rumored to be mulling a similar move before July 1st, most likely to the Sunbelt.

Here's my question: these schools were planning to play basketball next season in the WAC. Are they now going to be independents for a season, OR will they stay and play one more year in the Southland with ORU?

C-USA Adding UTSA in 2013 (CBScports.com)

Interesting development. The WAC may be in trouble. Good move for C-USA. Also, a somewhat better travel situation for UTSA and Texas State to not have to travel out west for a bunch of west coast games.

I still wonder if UALR may eventually be pushed out of the SunBelt because they don't have football. I guess it hasn't happened yet. With all the change in conference affiliations nationwide, the SunBelt probably wants to hold on to UALR in the short run.

Interesting development. The WAC may be in trouble.

That's why UTSA and Texas State are getting cold feet: the rumor going around in those circles is that other WAC teams are preparing to bolt for the Mountain West, C-USA, the Sunbelt, and even the Big West. The WAC could shortly (within weeks) be no more: once it dips beneath - or even approaches - the minimum numbers for automatic qualifying to NCAA championships, the exodus will be quick and fatal.

That's why UTSA and Texas State are getting cold feet: the rumor going around in those circles is that other WAC teams are preparing to bolt for the Mountain West, C-USA, the Sunbelt, and even the Big West. The WAC could shortly (within weeks) be no more: once it dips beneath - or even approaches - the minimum numbers for automatic qualifying to NCAA championships, the exodus will be quick and fatal.

Don't usually "requote" myself, but in this case, that previous post felt a little like the "4G" phone commercial: "SO 16 minutes ago":

Utah State Headed To Mountain West Conference From WAC (Salt Lake Tribune)

that's good news for Coach Finkbeiner.

any news where UTSA will play next year? i could not find anything.

I only see two possible options:

1. Play as an independent

2. Play in the Southland

Because if they go ahead and play in the WAC this season, they would have to pay an exit fee in 2013 when they move to C-USA - that ain't going to happen.

Wonder if C-USA will try to shoehorn them into this coming season's conference basketball schedule? If so, would they be eligible for the C-USA postseason tournament, if they're not officially members? Weird stuff...

It will be interesting if UTSA will be part of the Southland. The basketball schedule for next year is already generated with ORU and without the three departers. They would have to redo schedules, which could affect OOC commitments.

It will be interesting if UTSA will be part of the Southland. The basketball schedule for next year is already generated with ORU and without the three departers. They would have to redo schedules, which could affect OOC commitments.

Bogus, is that 2012-2013 Southland Conference basketball schedule accessible anywhere online? I can't find it...

Here's an article where the Texas State AD all but announces they will be joining the Sunbelt Conference in the next few days, but again - it's not effective until 2013.

What's their basketball affiliation going to be this coming season: Sunbelt, as a provisional member perhaps (regular season schedule but no postseason tournament)? Southland (again, as a provisional maybe)? Independent?

What is the motivation for the Southland to let a former program come back in the league for a temporary period? It might generate goodwill - or maybe they could charge them a fee.

Sounds like they may be playing as independents.

If Texas State was to participate as a Southland Conference member next season, it's entirely possible they would have to back out of the Great Alaska Shootout.

My big fear in all of this:

The Southland wrangles a hefty "one-more-year" participation fee from a desperate UTSA and Texas State to stay and play in the league in 2012-2013, then turns to us and says, "Hey, ORU, would you mind too terribly much waiting one more year to enter, along with Houston Baptist?"

They wouldn't do anything like that, would they?

Could they?

I assume we have a written contract. They could ask, but they could not make us do anything outside the parameters of the contract.

At the risk of being jumped, if the Southland started to get goofy with us, any chance we contact the Mo Valley and see if we could get in? I know, too many obstacles such as money, etc., but would be a much better league for us IMHO. OK guys, jump on me.

• Upvote 1

This doesn't affect us directly, but with the apparent demise of the BCS automatic qualifiers - how do you think Boise State, SMU, Houston, etc. feel about their decision to hook up with a conference that necessitates travel to the east coast? I imagine that they are having second thoughts about their move. They will be in the same situation (without an AQ) and will have much higher travel costs.

At the risk of being jumped, if the Southland started to get goofy with us, any chance we contact the Mo Valley and see if we could get in? I know, too many obstacles such as money, etc., but would be a much better league for us IMHO. OK guys, jump on me.

I just don't think The Valley wants us, for whatever reason.

I'm betting their next acquisition would be someone like a Valpo or a St. Louis University: in or near a major TV market, with a high-profile reputation in basketball, and who if they play football, doesn't do so at the expense of the other sports in their program.

Pretty good stuff: Southland Commissioner Burnett says (in article linked below) that Southland is "waiting to see who needs a new home" in the next 45 days, after smoke clears from C-USA/MWC/WAC/Sunbelt debacle.

Also says he doesn't think there will be a vote on Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word membership applications at May conference meetings - must not want them...

SLC In No Hurry To Make Decision On Abilene Christian Membership (Abilene Sports.com)

I want Incarnate Word just so I have an excuse to travel to San Antonio when our teams play there...

And now, this:

Butler May Leave Horizon For Atlantic-10

If they do, will Oakland take the Bulldogs' place in the Horizon, thus striking a crippling blow to the Summit?

And wouldn't it be wild if the Horizon contacted US about taking Butler's place (can't imagine, but who saw SMU and Houston going to the Big East?)

IMHO Horizon is way better than Southland, especially with the teams being mentioned above as possible members.