UTSA Backing Out Of WAC Deal? (and other conference realignment stuff)

Old Titan

Valpo would have a stroke. Not going to happen. They will take Oakland. The Grizzlies are a perfect geographic fit. Unless Detroit makes a big fit.

That's a good point about Detroit not wanting Oakland in the same league.

Wonder who the Horizon would go after - perhaps a Western Kentucky or similar Sunbelt or even Ohio Valley school?

Just can't see them venturing as far south as us...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18912164/onceproud-and-large-wac-is-on-its-death-bed-and-thats-a-shame

Once-proud (and large) WAC on its death bed, and that's a shame

This fall the league is down to seven football members -- Idaho, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, Utah State, San Jose State, Texas San Antonio and Texas State. After this year, Louisiana Tech and UTSA are headed to Conference USA, Utah State and San Jose State are bound for the Mountain West and Texas State is off to the Sun Belt.

Texas San Antonio and Texas State, who both just made the move up to the FBS ranks, already agreed to leave the WAC before they even started playing in the league.

Why would we assume that the athletic department would jump to a bigger conference with again more travel and budget. This move was clearly for financial reasons, I don't see us jumping back into a bigger conference real quick; maybe in 5 years.

Good point - we really need to see how the whole Southland thing works out; could be great for ORU.

These days, a school's options for conference affiliation is just like the old Will Rogers quote regarding Oklahoma weather:

"If you don't like, just wait a minute - it'll change."

The Southland has to be better than the Summit financially for ORU....the cost of all that northern travel for all the sports had to be taxing on our small budget...our baseball team won't have to worry about playing in sub freezing temps and both basketball teams will not have to deal with the winter travel issues any longer...... :nerd:

ESPN is reporting that Butler is leaving the Horizon League to join the Atlantic 10 Conference tomorrow (Wednesday). If so, who does the Horizon League go after? My bet is on Oakland.

Agree that Oakland is a target as long as Detroit goes along. They don't need Oakland for the Detroit media market, so not sure what value OU brings to the Horizon except their commitment to athletics. Outside of Oakland, I don't know if the Horizon is attractive to schools in the MVC or other schools in the north.

the voting bloc against Oakland has been Loyola, Detroit, and Butler (with three previous votes of 5-3,6-3, and 7-3). With Butler gone, Oakland would seemingly have the votes this time. Another plus for Oakland is that the league is in need of another baseball team.

If the Summit League loses Oakland and doesn't add another baseball team, I think they will be in danger of losing their auto bid for baseball. With ORU and SUU leaving already, that would be a tough blow. As it is, next year there will only be 5 baseball teams. If Oakland left, there would only be 4 teams. Ouch.

If the Summit League loses Oakland and doesn't add another baseball team, I think they will be in danger of losing their auto bid for baseball. With ORU and SUU leaving already, that would be a tough blow. As it is, next year there will only be 5 baseball teams. If Oakland left, there would only be 4 teams. Ouch.

2013 Summit Baseball Teams

IPFW

SDSU

NDSU

UNO

OU

WIU

Total - 6 teams

2014 Summit Baseball Teams (if Oakland is gone)

IPFW

SDSU

NDSU

UNO

WIU

Total - 5 teams

Is the NCAA minimum 5 teams, or 6?

No worries both UND and Northern Colorado have baseball teams who would jump at the chance to join as affiliate members. Both are Big Sky members and the Big Sky does not sponsor baseball. That is if you even believe Jimmy "the export" who thinks that SUU left the Summit the same time that Centenary left.

OT - Thanks for the reminder about UNO having a baseball team. That certainly helps the Summit Leauge for the future. I suggest that the Summit should get on the phone with UND and Northern Colorado today to fill out that baseball schedule for next year.

I also got a text last night from a frequent orusports.com "mole" who rarely posts (and you KNOW who you are!) that UMKC is talking about starting baseball in a season or two.

Do any of you guys know a guy with Money that wants to start another Baseball team in Tulsa.

I was told the only thing keeping TU from restarting Baseball was $1M to endow the sport. That seems cheap, but it comes from a very good source. (Former TU player and Board member.)

How would TU adding Baseball again play with you guys? Would it be good for Tulsa(area) or would it "not help"?

The thought of once again enduring three hours of TU fans yelling obscenities at ORU players, while Gene Shell argued every other pitch and play, does not exactly bring back a ton of fond memories.

It's always struck me as ironic how TU suddenly ran out of money for baseball right when ORU and Misouri Valley-rival Wichita State got really good in the late '70's, and started thumping the once-proud Golden Hurricane on a regular basis.

At the time, the move just seemed like a convenient way to rid themselves of Shell, but I suppose Title IX compliance was probably the true culprit.

They used Title IX, but Shell's "issues" had lots to do with it to.

Everytime the subject is brought up, TU replys that Title IX is the main reason that we don't, and won't have Baseball at TU.

This deal with the $1M to endow, has not come from any TU employed official. But it is gaining a little steam, and I think there is a fund raising thing going on behind the scene.

Of course, there is a lot of things sitting on hold right now. We'll need a feeling out period for the new Prez.