ORU vs. SDSU

ron

Question for the historians on the board: When is the last time that we had two 13-4 teams facing off against each other in conference? We are on our way out, and I understand the reasons, but what a great last season in the Summit! I am looking forward to the game against SDSU on Saturday. If I were in Tulsa, I would try to get my aunts, uncles and cousins out to the game. It should be a classic. Whoever wins, and I am confident that it will be ORU, will get a nice RPI boost.

Our offense is warming up, and our defense will probably get a nice workout yet today. It will be a hard-fought game, but I think we can beat SDSU 77-70.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUalum

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

• 89rabbit

Not sure about a historical analysis on 13-4 teams, but suffice it to say, this is a BIG game. The #1 seed in the conference tourney is a big deal most years. This year seems to be even more so. Almost a "must-win".

Sadly, the name South Dakota St. isn't going to bring throngs of casual fans out on Saturday night. I hope I am wrong. Also, hope a few of the students and cheerleaders are back by then.

The die-hards really need to be there and try to bring a friend...

Good article. Overall, as I've said before, Terry V. is a good guy. GREAT beat writer for SDSU.

One interesting quote:

". . . after all, the Summit League tournament is more like a home game than a road game for the Jacks."

A real but minor annoyance with the tournament being held year after year in Sioux Falls. Kind of surprised to see him admit this.

NDSU just came in here and stood on their heads for 40 minutes, making 20-of-18 three-pointers for a shooting percentage of around 120%, and we STILL covered the 7-point spread.

I really like our chances against an SDSU team who's ONLY signature win came against a Washington club that just absorbed another 20-point drubbing last night at the hands of middling Colorado. SDSu also has a double-digit loss to the Fightin' (insert mascot) of North Dakota, who are literally and figuratively the bottom of the "marginally D-1" barrel with an RPI of something like 340 (seriously, it is. I didn't even know there that many teams in D-1).

In other words, while Nate Wolters may be the best PLAYER on the floor Saturday night, I don't think SDSU is as good a TEAM as us, or NDSU. I say we win by 8-12 points.

OOC SOS -- ORU - 138; SDSU - 208

ORU will need 40 minutes of defense Saturday. I don't think the hot shooting from 3 will/can continue. I would feel better about this game if ORU had the students on campus. hopefully ORU will get another big night from DBH.

With the game just 48 hours removed from last night, and being at home, someone will still be hitting their shots.

Just takes one or two. Last night was kind of an embarrassment of riches: even Damon hit a couple from outside.

Nate Wolter's background picture on his Twitter profile is him scoring a layup over Roundtree presumably from last year. https://twitter.com/#!/NateWolters

I hope Tree sees this and makes a few highlights of his own with Nate in them so that I could send those to Nate and tell him to update his background pic. :devil:

Compare these "Strength of Schedule" screen shots from the official NCAA.org RPI website, and you can see that not only has SDSU not played many Top 100 teams, they also haven't fared that well against the better teams on their schedule, with the notable exception of Washington, who we already said is a mercurial bunch that lost badly again last night to Colorado.

post-50-0-22516600-1325876885_thumb.jpgpost-50-0-25740000-1325876888_thumb.jpg

Yeah, memo to the powers that be at SDSU: when picking a school mascot, might have been a good idea to go with something a little higher on the ol' food chain.

I can probably like SDSU's team if people quit treating Wolters like the Tim Tebow of college basketball.

• Upvote 1

I like all the hype he's getting. It's good for the Summit. It was Caleb Green, and then Benson. Now its Wolters. The league needed a snazzy player to grab whatever little headlines we can. If we beat them it's great for us. For some reason I don't remember him standing out in my mind last year. Looking forward to seeing if all the hype surrounding him is legitimate. Someone else was comparing him to Jimmer.

Some SDSU statistics:

last three games

@SUU: 44.6% fg%; 23.5% 3-pt%; 33 rebs (vs 30 for SUU) and 8 turnovers. Allowed 48.3% fg%; 28.6% 3-pt%

Oakland: 51.0% fg%; 47.4% 3-pt%; 27 rebs (vs 29 for Oakland) and 9 turnovers. Allowed 49.0%% fg% and 26.3% 3-pt%

IPFW: 53.8% fg%; 44.8% 3-pt%; 36 rebs (vs 33 for IPFW) and 8 turnovers. Allowed 36.8% fg% and 19.0% 3-pt%

Players: (conference only stats)

Wolters (6'4"): 22.6 ppg - 44.0% fg%; 25.0% 3-pt% with 5.4 rpg, 6.4 apg and 2.6 turnovers

Carlson (6'4"): 11.8 ppg - 59.4% fg%; 66.7% 3-pt% with 3.0 rpg, 2.4 apg and 0.6 turnovers

Callahan (6'4"): 10.2 ppg - 38.1% fg%; 44.0% 3-pt% with 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg and 1.6 turnovers

Dykstra (6'8"): 12.0 ppg - 51.0% fg%; 37.5% 3-pt% with 5.6 rpg

White (6'6"): 10.4 ppg - 53.6% fg% with 3.6 rpg, 2.0 apg and 0.8 turnovers

Fiegen (6'7"): 6.2 ppg - 56.5% fg% with 4.2 rpg

They have five starters that average double figures in scoring (conference) and commit a low amount of turnovers.