ORU vs. Texas Tech

ORUTerry

When Tolbert got going in the second half we got in some serious foul trouble. Then Scott went to a zone for awhile and it was pretty successful. Overall a solid defensive effort.

I watched some of the game replay and Roundtree needs to leave opposing players alone once they corral a rebound. He could have been called for at least 2 more reach-in fouls than he was. We need him on the court, not on the bench. However I love his competitive fire.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

• ORUTerry

• ORUalum

Random observations:

1. Mike MInyard deserves a pat on the back for his work in gathering a very nice crowd last night. Great job! I wish the powers that be could get the corporate seats reassigned so that those seats would not be empty all the time. It would also have been nice if we could have encouraged the people in the blue seats to move down into the gold seats.

2. We played hard in the first half - especially on defense. It frustrated Texas Tech and caused a lot of turnovers. The Red Raiders did not look very good in the first half.

3. Texas Tech's big guys are pretty good - especially the freshman (Tolbert). They had trouble getting him the ball down low in the first half - but were more successful in the second. He is a very good player with nice moves down low. Our guys had trouble containing him. We switched to a zone and also doubled him up to keep the ball away from him.

4. Their guards were not very good - especially Adams, the diminutive white kid. He was guarding Niles who had at least six inches on him. I thought we should have had Warren post him up. They did better in the second half when they used some other perimeter players.

5. Very nice to see Niles get his shooting touch/confidence back. We need him in conference play.

6. Our big guys did not play/score great - but I think a lot of that is a result of our guards not getting them the ball in good position down low.

7. Another nice win for ORU and coach Sutton against a 'power' conference opponent.

DoMo scored 19 against Xavier, 19 against Gonzaga and 26 against Texas Tech. That's a pretty good run over the last 10 days or so. Also, I noticed last night that when DoMo isn't in the game, the offense doesn't appear to be nearly as fluid. It kind of loses its' flow. He has really developed into a strong offensive player and yet his game is so deceptive because he can score several different ways. I hope we can reward him with an NCAA tournament run for his senior year.

I agree about Morrison - he is the glue. Did you notice that in the latter part of the game, with Pearson on the bench for a breather, we had DoMo playing point forward? He really is an (the?) integral part of the team.

what are the thoughts on the crowd? it looked like a legit 8,000, although they did not sound very loud. i guess they were missing the students and ORU cheerleaders. more importantly, will they come back?

It was a good crowd with lots of families/young kids. I think it was a legit +8,000. The crowd was not as loud as you would think for a couple of reasons: (1) the game was not close for most of the contest, (2) a lot of the fans were casual basketball fans there to see the game - not necessarily cheer for ORU

I thought it was a great idea to have the Union cheerleaders there in lieu of the ORU squad. It appears that they included all of them - (9th thru 12th grade). They seemed excited to be there. It was a bit confusing initially because the Union colors (red and black) are the same as Texas Tech.

The crowd last night was very much a smart basketball fan crowd, and not at all a sports fanatic screaming crowd.They knew when to cheer at the right time, but never too loud or for a prolonged period of time. The loudest reaction I heard all night was when the boos and heckles rained down on that official for calling a phantom foul on Domo in the 2nd half. That only lasted about 20 seconds because of the timeout and band music.

Here's a nice quote from Gillespie after the game:

“He’s a very good player,†[talking about Morrison] Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie said. “I thought before the game that this was the best team that we’ve played, and I’m not feeling any differently.â€

Here is a link to the whole article:

http://www.gosanange...ises-72-56-win/

Among others, Texas Tech has played Indiana State, Wake Forest and TCU.

Our boys seem to have consciously chosen to make this a special season. As crazy as it is to talk about at juncture, I think we are good enough to set one more record in the Summit League as we leave for more southerly climes. If our boys bring the game they brought to Gonzaga, Xavier and again last night, we could r__ t__ t_____. I hope we respect our Summit League adversaries in every game that we play them, but I believe that IF both teams bring their "A" game, we win.

With all the hype around Wolters and Hamilton, who I think are both legitimate NBA prospects, we have the most balanced team in the league in numbers of ways. Two of these ways are between offense and defense and in the way that we spread our scoring around. What we hoped at the beginning of the season is starting to happen. We have three players in double figures, with the fourth not far behind.

Whatever else I receive for Christmas, I got one big present already. Our guys have chosen to play to their potential. Woohoo! :clap::eagles:

DoMo had a very efficient scoring night. Shooting 7-11 FGs including 3-5 from three for 26 points. It reminds me of a Tim Gill stat line.

here is what John Klein said about the crowd...

"Tulsans seem to be taking notice. ORU’s game with Tech drew over 8,000 fans. That’s not an inflated number. Those were real fans in the seats.

It will be interesting to see if ORU can maintain this level on the court and in the grandstands as we hit January and February.

If so, the excitment of the 1970s at ORU, when the then Titans were a nationally-known mid-major, could return to the south Tulsa campus."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?ORU_is_Soaring_Once_Again/15-13579

Good quotes. Alum, I agree with your earlier post. I think having the students back will bring some level of noise and life to the crowd. I expect we could see large crowds for Oakland, the Bracket Buster Game if we get a solid opponent, and possibly SDSU. I don't think the average Tulsa basketball fan would care that much to come see WIU and the like even though we know it will be a good game.

Watching the game upclose and center court I was able to see alot.

1. I estimated the crowd at 7k to 7.5. Not far off.

2. Great game to watch . The guys looked to Niles and Domo to get them back to the 15 plus lead when it got down to 9.

3. Tech will be much better next year . Freshman Tolbert is freakish and will be a great pro prospect

4. The Time outs and change to zone is a greeeeaaaat improvement from the past.

5. We have a great coaching staff who are teachers and hands-on ; not just motivational speakers.

6. We still need work on rebounding position. Especially on defensive glass.

7. It was nice to see the cheerleaders from Union . I also thought they were from Tech due to colors.

8. Overall, I think we have stepped our play up a level but these guys can take it to even another level.

9. It sure would have been nice to have Ken Holdman this year.

8) Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night

Not just nice for us, but good for Ken. I can't help but feel bad for him with all that's happening this year. You know he longs to be a part of it. It's a personal tragedy for him.

TheEagleman grew to like Holdman after initially thinking he wasn't very good....miss his defense and energy....a big loss for this season....will he come back next year?

I would definitely think that Ken will play next year. Why not get to probably start with Rod gone and get a start on that MBA or other Master's degree? Actually, the competition between Ken and DJ Jackson for starting point guard could be interesting next year.

Ken was going to start this year so next year the job will be probably be his to lose.

Not sure about that....I hear that Billbury and Jackson are pretty good.....time will tell..... :nerd: