Summit League Scores

ORUalum

What has me pretty concerned about next season is that night in and night out we'll be playing teams with RPIs at 200 and below. Here's a link to Southland Conference RPIs. Note that only four have RPIs above 200, and that two of those ARE LEAVING! It may be rough sailing, RPI-wise, in our new conference.

Not only that - but if we think officiating has been bad in the Summit League wait till we see what awaits us in the Southland. I have a feeling I'll be needing blood pressure medicine before the first season is over.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• ORUalum

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

StatSheet shows our RPI at 46 and SDSU moving down to 73, Realtime RPI has not updated for last night's scores.

StatSheet shows our RPI at 46 and SDSU moving down to 73, Realtime RPI has not updated for last night's scores.

I had to use Statsheet this AM, too. I wonder what's up with Live-RPI.

I've decided to take the following approach to life in the Southland: if we win the tournament in Katy and have to go as a No. 16 due to the conference RPI, we might get one of the play-in games, which could be a fun way to get a win.

Of course, after that we have to face a No 1 seed, so the fun might be short lived, but what the heck? You're in the dance!

Okay, that's my first concern about the Southland. My second is recruiting. I know that we haven't really been able to recruit anybody by saying that they'll get to play in the Summit League, but my concern is, what kind of players are we going to be able to get, knowing that they'll be playing teams in the 200s and 300s for a good part of the season. I don't know if HS kids really are looking at that sort of thing, but I have to wonder - will the Southland and it's low RPI teams hurt our already challenging recruiting situation?

In some respects, baseball has had the same situation IN the Summit League, and they've done pretty well over time. Hopefully basketball will have a similar situation.

The way to recruit in a perceived weaker conference is to tell kids they will be playing in the NCAA Tournament because ORU will have a very good chance of winning the conference & tournament. I think that is a good draw for baseball. Of course it helps to have nice facilities and a good coaching staff too.

How can it be a bad thing to be recruiting a kid from Texas, Arkansas or Louisiana, and telling him: "Where do we play our road games? Son, we play all our conference games in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana."

All we have to do is recruit those three states, plus Oklahoma and Missouri, and we'll be fine.

We've hit such a rich vein mining recruits in KC - will that continue if we're not playing up there any more? Man, I hope so, because I've LOVED what we've found up there.

We need IUPUI to finish 7th....TheEagleman doesn't want to see them in the first round and have to beat them a 3rd time.....Jags are more than pesky....and Alex Young is a really good scorer.....I would rather see ORU going up against IPFW or UMKC in the first round....Go Jags on Saturday at SUU!!!.... :clap:

We will have to see how it shakes out, but the 1-seed (most likely ORU) could certainly face IUPUI, Oakland, and SDSU in the Summit League tourney. That would be a tough draw. It might actually turn out that the 2-seed has an easier road. Even SUU or Western Illinois could end up being a 3 or 4 seed.

I sure am surprised that NDSU has dropped several winnable games. NDSU lost to UND and SDSU lost to USD. Just those 2 games may have dropped our conference RPI a couple spots. It would be nice if the Summit could end up with a winning record on Bracket Buster Saturday. That could actually move our conference RPI up a couple spots since several of the conferences are very close in the RPI standings.

Summit League almost went .500 on the Bracket Busters this year - going 4-6 for the day:

ORU 67

Akron 61

Buffalo 65

SDSU 86

IUPUI 84

Nichols State 80

Wright State 76

UMKC 62

Oakland 75

Illinois State 79

IPFW 69

Eastern Ky 78

Texas State 93

So Dakota 92

Western Michigan 73

No. Dakota State 86

Western Illinois 45

Evansville 68

Southern Utah 52

UC - Riverside 57

We were 3-0 against the MAC though.

MAC 3-0

Southland 1-1

Big West 0-1

Ohio Valley 0-1

Horizon 0-1

MVC 0-2

The Summit needs to do better against some of these other conferences - especially the OVC and Southland - if they want to build on their successes for the future.

Halftime score tonight - Oakland 50 - UMKC 15 ! Oakland trying to make some kind of a statement in the final week of the season?

Halftime score tonight - Oakland 50 - UMKC 15 ! Oakland trying to make some kind of a statement in the final week of the season?

some back story to what is going on at UMKC...LINK