• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• ORUalum

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

WHOA - WAIT A MINUTE - are you telling me that THE LEATHERNECKS knocked off 6-0 North Dakota State?? What has happened to our predictable conference????

NDSU losing their first game is a big surprise.....especially against WIU......TheEagleman still thinks it will be ORU and Oakland battling for the title at the end.....both teams are very good..... :nerd:

Judging by the scores and outcomes, the Summit League is tightening up. Western Illinois loses to SDSU by one pt. Oakland only beats the Roos by 13. IUPUI seems to be out of it this year though. They are getting beat a lot. Starting Summit League play against the State schools in the Dakotas can't be the easiest thing though. On the other hand, Western Illinois did okay. Unless the teams come together at much different rates, the conference tournament this year could be very interesting, with a lot of potential upsets.

NDSU is probably one of the youngest teams in DI at the moment. Our current starting lineup consists of a redshirt sophomore, three true sophmores, and a true freshman. The guy who was supposed to be the leader, senior Eric Carlson, had his jaw broken during our first exhibition game. Even after he gets the wires out, it's going to take quite a while for him to build himself back up to playing weight(if there will even be a starting spot left for him). On the other hand, this is probably the most athletic group of starters that NDSU has ever had. So, we've got the 5-0 start and the drubbing of IUPUI for most of the game last night, and then we've got the loss to reduced-scholarship DII MSUM in exhibition, the loss to WIU, and the weird almost-collapse at IUPUI that could have lost the game. The word for the year for us is going to be 'inconsistant'.

Pretty impressed with the Summit so far this year. Sagarin has the Summit ranked as the #14 conference, just above the Horizon. So far, even with a fairly strong OOC schedule, the Summit is nearly .500 (24-25), which is WELL above recent history.

And, the list of Summit opponents between now and 2012 is fairly impressive:

Arizona State (NDSU)

Minnesota (NDSU)

Michigan (OU)

Valpo (OU and IPFW)

Arizona (OU)

Washington (SDSU)

Purdue (IPFW)

Michigan State (UMKC)

New Mexico (UMKC)

Louisville (IUPUI)

Oklahoma (ORU)

Gonzaga (ORU)

Xavier (ORU)

Winning just a few of these 14 games would cause a nice bump in everyone's RPI!

IUPUI getting hammered at Louisville tonight.....Oakland down 1 late at home vs. Ohio and IPFW ahead of Valpo by 7 late......TheEagleman a little surprised at that last one.... :nerd:

A late Grizz rally falls short and they lose to Ohio U by 84-82 at the Orena.....Ohio is pretty good at 6-1.....still a tough home loss for Oakland...IPFW beats Valpo by 9......I guess it won't be easy playing on the road against the Mastadons.... :|

no matter how many years it's been since Valpo and ORU last played, i gotta admit that i still enjoy seeing Valpo lose.

that Oakland score is a bit of a surprise, but it sounds like they found another good big man...LINK

"Corey Petros had 23 points and 16 rebounds to lead the Golden Grizzlies (6-3), whose 11-game home win streak ended. Reggie Hamilton matched Petros’ 23 points and Travis Bader had 21, but Oakland was outscored 42-8 off the bench."

As of December 12th, the Summit League is ranked as the #12 rated conference - right below Conference USA. The league appears to be much stronger from top to bottom this year. Several teams have had nice wins against the 'power' conferences. Oakland had a good showing against Michigan this weekend; they were tied at halftime and ended up losing by 10.

RPI Link

ORU could really help things out for the Summit by winning 2 of 3 this week.....maybe we have a shot at Xavier with four players suspended for the Musketeers?..... :nerd:

I saw that they won by 2 - didn't realize it was by a buzzer beater. I think they were down by two at the half.

It's always a good day when Valpo loses.....TheEagleman still doesn't like them...congrats to the Grizz.....I am looking forward to that game vs. Oakland in early January..... :nerd:

Impressive road wins today by ORU, SDSU and IPFW.....the Summit League is becoming a powerhouse conference!.... :nerd:

Impressive road wins today by ORU, SDSU and IPFW.....the Summit League is becoming a powerhouse conference!.... emoticon-0126-nerd.gif

Yea, I got to watch both ORU beat Xavier, congrats, and SDSU beat Washington on TV. Great day for the League!