TU in Charleston Classic: Bold Prediction

Old Titan

I see six seconds as an absolute maximum. Any more than that and you leave too much time for the opponent to miss, rebound and set up, miss and call a TO, OR miss, let us rebound, foul immediately, then let us shoot free throws and then the opponent get another possession. I'm very keen in that situation for us purposely missing the second free throw and hoping that in the ensuing scrum that time runs out and the opponent doesn't have time for another shot. Domo did that very thing this season at the end of a game - don't remember which one, though.

Recently at an ORU home game ORU was up by three with 15-20 seconds left, and a buddy sitting with me was yelling "FOUL THEM! FOUL THEM!" And when it didn't happen he said, "I wonder why they didn't foul." Concept right, timing wrong. Timing is imperative with the strategy, and really, the less the better. The more time left, the more options for the opponent.

I think a team needs to be well-versed in the options in a situation like this, for when it arises. It's pretty difficult to try to work through the options and which one is desired given the situation in the heat of a close game.

It's kind of amazing all that can happen in the final half-a-dozen seconds, or even less, in a basketball game.