TU in Charleston Classic: Bold Prediction

Old Titan

The Key to Basketball attendance is winning games. And you are right, if DW had beaten Memphis just once, the fanbase would be a little more tolerant. But, it cannot be about beating one team, it must be about winning consistantly against your entire schedule. Not just agaiinst the other "middle-of-the-pack" teams in you conference. And, the winning must come while entertaining the crowd.

ORU has had it's issues in attendance as well. Do you think that there would have been 8000 fans in attendance against a 5-4 TTech team if your team had not beaten someone like #8 Xavier, or had not played Gonzaga close? Would you have gotten those #'s if you had beaten mediocre teams the likes of your own conference mates or the mid/lower tier CUSA teams?

That is the Issue at TU, DW has not beaten a top 30 team in the 7 years he has been here. Not once has he even come close. ORU has done it 5 times that I know of.

ORU has proven that the fans in Tulsa will come back to a program that provides entertainment while beating teams they are not expected to beat. If DW could grasp that concept, and adapt, even a little, then the TU fans would back off and the attendance could improve. But, we believe that he has had the opportunity to make those adjustments, and he either is not capable of change, or just doesn't have the desire to change.

As to your comments about coaches being hesitant to apply to a school with TU's expectations. . .

Coaches understand the expectation levels, it comes with the job. And honestly, I don't know that I would want a coach that didn't think that he could meet, and even exceed, those expectation levels.

Kudos to ORU for having a coach that understands it is not about him, or his preferred BBall style. It's about the entire program. And about the expectations from both the administration and the fans that support that program.

Attendance in college basketball has plummeted in recent years, and no one is quite sure why.

A lot of theories have been suggested, but none have been confirmed, and the only cure seems to be fielding a winning team.

Otherwise, count on plenty of empty seats.

Well TU may have overachieved with Nolan Richardson and Bill Self, and so it makes it tough on JD Barnett or Doug Wojcik or John Phillips because the expectations are that they will bring TU back to the good old days. Coaching is a tough profession because many programs have similar expectations and that's why the coaches are paid the "big bucks".

TU has beaten ORU in most of the match-ups under Doug Wojcik because the Big 10 defensive style of play makes it tough to score against. It takes a "smoother" offensive team like ORU out of their comfort zone. Just like Kelvin Sampson did, you have to recruit a certain type of player who can play tough hard-nosed defense. OU fans complained about Kelvin Sampson but he took them to a final four (maybe two?). Then after he left (obviously for recruiting violations) they only succeeded because of a special player, Blake Griffin. Once Blake was gone, the OU fans started to miss the success Kelvin Sampson had even though his style of play was boring. Once Doug Wojcik is gone, I'm just wondering if the guy who follows him might actually have a losing season or two, and then fans may miss Doug Wojcik at least putting competitive teams on the floor that normally won 20 games or more a year. It can be a "be careful what you wish for" type of situation.

So my point is that the TU coaching situation for an existing successful D-1 coach even in a "lesser" conference is wrought with risk. If Scott had made the NCAA tournament last year and won a game, and Mike Anderson had decided not to go to Missouri, then maybe Scott would have been offered the Missouri job. At Missouri, he could have a legit shot at making the NCAA tournament most years due to the ability to recruit at a high level. To me, that job has high expectations, but a much more realistic chance of meeting those expectations. That to me is the "special" type of job that Scott has talked about before.

No doubt the attendance issue is widespread, I was simply mentioning it to say that attendance is not an "advantage" to be considered at this point when evaluating the TU job. I am not trying to be critical of TU. I think Bubba Cunningham did a good job there and he will be missed. But I am trying to be honest about the reasons why Scott Sutton or a similar coach might steer clear of the situation even though the $ would be enticing.

A good coach could win right away with Wojcik's talent.

In his first year at OU, Lon Kruger has the Sooners in the Top 25 with less talent than TU has this season.

I couldn't agree more about Lon Kruger. I'm amazed at what he has done with what appears to be lesser talent. OU had to throw a lot of $ at Lon Kruger to get him.

I don't think TU could get a proven coach like Lon Kruger (or a coach of his caliber). So there is more risk in letting Doug Wojcik go. The relationship may have soured to the point where he is let go, but until a new president and AD are in place, high quality coaching candidates may be concerned about taking the job when they don't know who their next boss might be. Another reason why Wojcik is probably still going to be the coach until the AD/President situation is resolved.

First, let me say that I am enjoying reading this thread & BasPlyr's perspective on TU hoops. I hope you stick around to post more, Bas.

Secondly, I'm not even sure it would even take a 'high caliber' or 'proven head coach' like Kruger to turn TU's situation around. With the players that they have, Tom Hankins could go over there tomorrow and have them playing much better than they are now. And that's no knock on Tom. That's just saying a good coach that understands how to make adjustments can be extremely successful with good talent even without head coaching experience. Wojcik seems like he can get good athletes, but is unable or unwilling to make the adjustments needed to win.

2 of the most amazing things that I believe have helped ORU win some closer games this month of December were Scott Sutton being willing to start calling a timeout to stop an opposing team's run, and his willingness to play zone when we were constantly getting beat off the dribble.

• Upvote 1

2 of the most amazing things that I believe have helped ORU win some closer games this month of December were Scott Sutton being willing to start calling a timeout to stop an opposing team's run, and his willingness to play zone when we were constantly getting beat off the dribble.

I make it a point never to call in to question the judgment of our coach - he knows a lot more about the game and his philosophy pertaining to it than I do. But in this case I'll make a brief exception, and say I agree with you, VCB. The question is, why has it taken so long for him to recognize these things?

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's hard to deviate from family tradition when your Hall Of Fame father is both literally and figuratively looking over your shoulder while you work.

The new attitude regarding time outs and zone defenses may very well be the result of Scott now having the perfect alibi around the proverbial Sutton family dinner table: "Sean made me do it."

First, let me say that I am enjoying reading this thread & BasPlyr's perspective on TU hoops. I hope you stick around to post more, Bas.

Secondly, I'm not even sure it would even take a 'high caliber' or 'proven head coach' like Kruger to turn TU's situation around. With the players that they have, Tom Hankins could go over there tomorrow and have them playing much better than they are now. And that's no knock on Tom. That's just saying a good coach that understands how to make adjustments can be extremely successful with good talent even without head coaching experience. Wojcik seems like he can get good athletes, but is unable or unwilling to make the adjustments needed to win.

These are things that many TU fans believe also. and the highlighted point is what is holding DW back for doing at TU what we believe the talent is capable of doing. Think of it this way. TU had 2 NBA players on it's roster, and it was a "down" year for Memphis. And he was still unable to make adjustments that would have enabled us to win the conference that year. IF you cannot win your own conference with 2 future NBA players, then something is wrong on the bench, and it isn't wearing a uniform.

One of the names I am hearing is an "established" coach, and he "is" interested in TU. So, that alone makes me believe that TU can get a coach that can win with our current players. Coupl ethat with he is aware of the administration situation, and is still willing to listen. So, though I agree in 90+% of the times, the aD situation would be a hinderance, it goes to show that it isn't always going to hold you back.

if ORU makes it to the NCAA tournament or even has a good showing in the NIT this year i really think Coach Sutton will be moving on. i would imagine he is ready for a new challenge, but put me in the camp of hoping that it is anywhere besides TU. (no offense BasPlayr)

how real is this talk of Sutton to TU? is it purely conjecture or is there a real ground swell from the power brokers at TU to can Wojcik and bring in Sutton?

I agree, Alum. There has been a lot more noise than usual about the potential of this being Scott's last year at ORU. I'm not sure what the opportunities out there will be like when the season ends, but I hope they are good.

Pure conjecture on my part, though there is a poster on the TU message board with supposed OSU connections who says he has it on VERY good authority (implies it's either a Sutton family member or perhaps a ORU assistant coach) that Scott would be interested in the job if TU came calling.

If Sutton leads this team to a post season birth (especially an NCCA Tournament trip), I think that he will be courted by several schools - including TU. Hard to see how he could trun down the additional money that these schools could throw his way - and as others have said, choosing TU would allow him (and his family) to stay in Tulsa.

I attended the TU-Creighton game. Tulsa has good athletes; tall and athletic. They play tough defense but their half court offense looked sluggish. Too much dribbling but not enough driving to the basket. In the first half they ran the ball some and looked pretty good. For some reason they discontinued any up tempo play in the second half. Idlet (senior) looks like he did as a freshman - not a lot of progress. They have talent (and more coming in) and could do better than they are. The next coach (if there is one) will be set up pretty nicely.

All the new TU coach needs to do to be immediately successful is exactly what Lon Kruger did this year at OU, and it's something that Wojcik has been unable to do in eight years at Tulsa: bring in a good point guard.

I say TU go grab Kampe. He's a real maximizer of talent. He's also an "offense first" coach who could get that fan base excited.

Not to mention, after we leave for the SL next year, I wouldn't mind having a chance to go head to head with our sweater vest wearing foe once a year.

Anyone but SS. Ugh.

Kampe can win the press conference too. He is a savvy coach. That would be an interesting choice but I suspect TU might want to go a little younger than Kampe. Just a guess and not in any way a shot at Kampe. I think he would be a great choice IF Wojcik gets fired.