TU in Charleston Classic: Bold Prediction

Old Titan

Jackson St 23-20 over TU at halftime....how sweet would that be?..... :P

TU rallies to beat Jackson State, 57-51.....Rats!....Big win for Wojcik..... |(

my TU bold prediction is that Doug will get his 19-21 wins, fail to make the NCAA tournament, run off a couple players in the off season, and be back coaching TU to mediocrity again next year.

well, he did not wait until the off season this year. medder leaving TU...LINK

well, he did not wait until the off season this year. medder leaving TU...LINK

Why bother? If you were playing for Doug Wojick would you stay? Dante Medder obviously saw that his abilities were being wasted.

Geez, I would be inclined to think that things are reaching critical mass at 11th & Harvard, with another "Christmas surprise" on the horizon (see: John Phillips resignation), but the simple fact is there's no one minding the store over there right now.

AD Bubba Cunningham is off to North Carolina already, and his interim replacement, Ross Parmale, may not even have the authority to fire anyone for anything other than cause.

The president of the school has also resigned effective in the spring - can't imagine he would fire ANY coach until they name his replacement and decide who the new AD is going to be.

Such a fragmented situation makes me wonder if someone local and trusted, like Mike Carter for AD or Scott Sutton for basketball coach, is more likely to happen immediately after the basketball season ends - especially if some of the more powerful regents at TU are fed up and and want to do something quickly before the April signing date.

TU hire another ORU coach or AD?....heaven forbid....if they detest us so much, why would the dopes at 11th and Harvard go after anyone from 7777 South Lewis?....if that ever happens....they are true hypocrites and TheEagleman will declare war on the BA$&*%#DS!!!....... :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello BBall fans.

Sorry Old Titan, but yeah, you were really wrong. However, don't think that the lameduck administration will not make a move when necessary. even midseason.

I am hearing Parmley is in a good position with the current prez for the AD position.

I don't know enough about him to comment one way or the other, but after witnessing the recent events, I think most TU fans would agree an outside candidate MUST be considered.

As to Sean, or even Scott as a HC candidate, I think most TU fans would be happy with either one. The question is, would the administration consider him.

We are hearing three common name being banteres about, so we'll have to see.

If there is a mid season move, they would likely look to the only guy currently on staff to have any HC experience, Emmit Davis.

Who by the way, was fired from his las HC position.

I have nothing concrete, just a gut feeling that if TU loses Wednesday to Mercer, that the wheels will really start to spin. If TU loses both games next week, we may see the axe fall before the New Year rings in.

Keep watching.

Mercer is capable - they won at Georgia Tech a couple of nights ago.

They're coached by Oklahoman Bob Hoffman, who was a candidate for the ORU job when Scott was named, after which he went to Pan American, where he put a couple of beatdowns on us.

He was also a candidate for the TU job when Wojcik got it. He landed the Mercer gig when Barry Hinson turned it down. He will be gunning to show the TU folks what they missed out on, just like he did to us.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they beat TU.

They may simply be the better team.

Mercer is more than capable, and most of us don't give us much of a chance.

As to Hoffman, most feel that a loss to a team coached by him would be a major faux paus on DW's behalf.

Thus the reasoning behind my comments above.

We'll need to be watching and listening for signs on Thursday if it is a loss.

Let me ask your board a question. IF TU was to come calling, and I have nothing that says they would, do you think that he would listen? I have my doubts, because I feel he really loves it at ORU. It's just a feeling I have from his comments & actions surrounding the WSU chajob.

I'm on record as predicting he would be interested, if for no other reason than it affords him the opportunity of making more money in a more prestigious conference without uprooting all his family members.

Would also give assistant-and-brother-in-law Tom Hankins or assistant-and-brother-Sean Sutton the chance of landing the ORU job, which would be a win-win for everybody involved.

If Tulsa is destined to hire a new coach, I would love to see them hire a guy like Scott who respects ORU and the rivalry between the two schools.

And, if we are destined to lose Scott to some other school following a great season this year at ORU, I would love to see him stay close to home.

But - that's just me. I know there are some posters on here that I respect a lot who feel differently.

TheEagleman would understand why Scott might want to take the job at TU....more money, better conference and not moving the family are 3 big reasons.....still, I wouldn't like him leaving to go to our crosstown rival....it would make me want ORU to beat them all the more....honestly, if they want Coach Sutton at this point...go for it.....change at ORU at this point might not be a bad thing....we are gonna have a lot of new players in the next couple years....maybe Hankins is ready to take over......might be interesting.....Let's see the TU fans go ballistic when Scott fails to call a timeout during an opposition 14-0 run..... :nerd:

Bas, to answer your question I do think Scott Sutton would go if asked because of the reasons OT mentioned above. If he doesn't end up at TU next year, he will go somewhere better. I personally would NOT like him to go to TU, but I would't begrudge him if he did.

Isn't Doug Wojcik still the head coach at TU? Aren't we possibly getting a little bit ahead of ourselves?

Scott has said it would have to take a "special" job to leave ORU and I just don't see TU being that "special" job. Wichita State has been in the Elite Eight within the last 5 years and now TCU is in the Big 12. Scott didn't take either of those jobs. I understand that WSU hadn't made their run yet and TCU wasn't yet in the Big 12 when he was basically offered those jobs, but TU is a hornet's nest of unrealistic expectations and they have significant attendance issues as well. Who would want that? Doug Wojcik clearly doesn't seem to want the TU job either since he has been looking for other opportunities every offseason. Certainly Scott is smarter than that.

I think ORU fans would be very forgiving of Scott jumping to a Big 12 or PAC 12 or SEC or Big 10 or Big East or ACC job, but I think he would lose most of the goodwill he has built up with ORU fans were he to take the TU job if it were eventually offered to him.

Let me rephrase my response. The TU job is a really good job with all of the resources that Scott would have to work with if he chose to go there. I don't want him to go there because I want him to be successful wherever he goes, and I really don't want TU to be that successful. Just being honest.

Jason, TU attendance has steadily declined since DW was hired.

The biggest reason, is the DW style of play.

TU got to where it was as a leading Mid-Major program because of its up tempo, agressive style of OFFENSE. T

Today we are seeing more of a Big Ten, slow methodical, dribble it around the outside for 20 seconds type of offense.

TU used to be known for it's ability to create turnovers, for the OPPONENT. DW's teams are known for more T/O's THAN the opponent.

TU's teams used to find ways to beat teams when they weren't supposed to win. DW's teams find ways to "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory".

The reason the fans would consider Scott, or Sean, is because they both play the type of basketball that TU is known for. IT is much more exciting than what DW plays. And we believe that the current players would fit in well with the type of basketball either of those coaches would bring to TU. With that type of basketball being played again, we believe we would see a rebound in attendance over the years.

It is all of these things that make TU a great destination job for any of the coaches in play.

So, whether it is one of the Suttons, or any of the others, TU would be much better off because of what those coaches have proven they can do.

And honestly, the belief that a change is coming, even if at the end of the season, is what is keeping the core of TU support going at this time.

While this season for TU is teetering on the brink, in most past years Wojcik won 20 games but the fans didn't like him because he didn't get to the NCAAs. The Big 10 style of play can be very successful and if Wojcik had beat Memphis in the finals of the CUSA tournament even once he would have more slack. I consider it unfair to put such unrealistic expectations on Wojcik that he has to make the NCAAs or he is considered a failure even though he wins a lot of games.

I think the expectation level will cause a lot of coaches to think twice before taking the TU job when it eventually does open up. The honeymoon period will be very short at TU and if you don't win right away you will probably be in the same boat as Wojcik before long. If the criticism isn't for style of play it will be something else such as lack of recruiting, poor substitution patterns, etc.