TU in Charleston Classic: Bold Prediction

Old Titan

All I know is that I am adding 1 to the ORU win total in the ORU-TU series total.

We SHOULD have played them this year. And, it WOULD have been a Golden Eagle victory. We was robbed, I tell ya!

Frickin' Crazy Eyes!

All I know is that I am adding 1 to the ORU win total in the ORU-TU series total.

We SHOULD have played them this year. And, it WOULD have been a Golden Eagle victory. We was robbed, I tell ya!

Frickin' Crazy Eyes!

I'l second that emotion. AND, I'll bet that if you could find another TU fan that isn't Blinded by some crazy distaste for ORU, (and there are quite a few of them really.) They would tell you the same thing. You would have one in a blowout.

And on the subject of the TU-SMU game. If their 3pt shooter is guarded at all like TU has guarded the three this year, he'll have a career night like the Creighton kid did. And, TU will lose by double figures AT HOME!

• 5 weeks later...

Geez, could my original prediction actually come true?

TU wins their seventh in a row, and remains one-half game out of first place in C-USA, beating Marshall by nine at the Reynolds Center to go 14-9 for the year.

How can they fire a guy who just tied Clarence Iba for all-time wins at TU with 137? (only 137? Shows how many coaches over the years have used TU as a stepping stone, I guess). He's not going anywhere now, unless he leaves for somewhere else on his own.

I'm telling you, TU fans, if you really want to get rid of this guy, you're going to have to drive a stake in his heart, cut off his head, and throw it in the river, because otherwise he's like freaking Jason from "Friday The 13th" - he simply won't die!

And, I can't remember how long ago I posted this (it may have been in the summer when it was announced TU wouldn't play us) but it's time to say it again: if TU keeps winning, but loses in the C-USA tournament, and we win the Summit League regular season but falter in Sioux Falls, don't be surprised if the two of us are matched up in a first-round NIT game.

• Upvote 1

Starting to see th wisdom in that prediction, OT.

I have to say, 7 games ago, I as about as done with DW as any person could be.

Here we are, on a streak, and by golly, the guy is actually starting to coach.

If the streak continues and/or we win the CUSA title. I believe he will get picked out of our pocket.

I honestly don't know abou the NIT. We have too many bad OOC losses to give us much hope of an NIT invite.

Though, th thought of a TU-ORU game would be very nice to see. Not o net ion do a lot o promote the Tulsa community.

Great win Saturday. You guys get on your streak again, and TU will continue there's. Who knows, Yvette we could see each other in a NCAA game. Well, OK, maybe not.

C-USA may merge with the Mountain West Conference to form 1 conference with 16 football members and 15 member institutions for all sports (Hawaii is a football only member.) Is this a good spot for TU? C-USA will also talk to Temple later in the week to see if they want to join in the fun and leave a tight eastern seaboard geographic footprint (Atlantic-10) in order to join a conference that spans 5 time zones. I'm guessing that won't be a hard decision for Temple. They are simply trying to position themselves to join the Big East.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7554045/conference-usa-board-discuss-possibility-merging-mountain-west-source-says

As long as Villanova stays in the Big East, they will NEVER approve of Temple (another Philadelphia school) joining their conference.

As long as Villanova stays in the Big East, they will NEVER approve of Temple (another Philadelphia school) joining their conference.

I've heard that too. But with as fluid and unpredictable as things are right now, I'm not sure Villanova brings enough to the table (doesn't even have D-1 football) to remain on their high horse. I'm not saying that Temple will be added either. In fact, they probably won't. But would C-USA football be better than playing in the MAC for football?

When the dust settles on this potential merger, there might be one less automatic bid for basketball (and other sports) and therefore one more at-large bid to go around.

TU should keep their football team in the new MWC/C-USA and move all other sports back to the Missouri Valley.

Temple definitely wants back in the Big East....and they should be....their basketball and football teams are both very good....and a heck of a lot better than Nova....problem is...yeah, Nova thinks they are "all that" and more....TheEagleman detests that University and their uppity attitude..... :puke:

Getting back on topic......TU got rolled tonight at UTEP....they stink.....hey basplayer....you need to get some tickets to ORU-WIU on Saturday night and forget about the Golden Hurricane....... :nerd:

LOL, @ theeagleman5

Sorry I haven't been around here much. I am in the middle of a "project" at work, and it is taking up some of my extra time. It's even cause me to cut back some on the TU boards.(yikes) It also means that I may not make another ORU game this season, and I was really hoping to catch one of the last two games.

Hopefully, you guys will host a post season game that I can attend.

ORUAlum - I, and about 20% of the TU faithful would love to see that happen.

I've heard that too. But with as fluid and unpredictable as things are right now, I'm not sure Villanova brings enough to the table (doesn't even have D-1 football) to remain on their high horse. I'm not saying that Temple will be added either. In fact, they probably won't. But would C-USA football be better than playing in the MAC for football?

When the dust settles on this potential merger, there might be one less automatic bid for basketball (and other sports) and therefore one more at-large bid to go around.

Let's not kid each other. the Big East is a Basketball conference first and foremost. They will cater to the Basketball schools every whim.

I believe the only reason they are trying to form this super conference is because of what lies down the road in reference with the NCAA.

a) they need to protect their BCS status to keep the big bucks coming in

B) If the NCAA does reorganize, they could have enough swag to be able to ensure their members get included in the new D1, or upper tier classification

A couple of interesting aricles in the TW today propping up Wojcik. Especially curious coming on the heels of the second game he has cost his team this season because he refused to foul up 3 with a few seconds left in the game.

While reading the Wojcik "signature wins" article, I actually felt sorry for TU fans for a second.

No one ever fouls up 3 with seconds to go. It's talked about all the time, but I haven't seen it done successfully yet, anyone seen a time that it has been done? Seriously we always talk about it but I can't remember anyone doing it.

if it wasn't before, i think it is pretty much coaching 101 since Memphis failed to foul Mario Chalmers in the national championship game.

Have to disagree, bballmangc - I've seen it done several times, including by ORU, and seen it work. As you say, though, lots of talk about it, but conditions have to be just right to impliment. Scott Sutton has said he will do it, but only under the following set of conditions - up by three, less than six seconds (probably want even less than that) and the opponent has the ball. Just not that many games where those conditions apply.

I've thought many times about that strategy, and what's the best thing to do in that situation. If the opponent makes the first, misses on purpose with the second and gets fouled on the rebound they can tie the game, or with a rebound and putback tie the game, or rebound and kickout for a three win the game. It's just a matter of where you want to take your chances - either way there are no guarantees - a trey to tie without a foul, or with a foul and fight it out under the basket. There's probably a higher probability of winning outright with the foul.

Agree with you tmh, My little group of buddies at TU have had this discussions since the MoState game where the same thing happened. And then there is the game where TU allowed the opponent to weave his way up court for an uncontested shot. UGH!!!

I see a couple of ways to play it when there is little time(6.1sec) left on the clock.

a ) IF you are going to foul, foul on the inbound pass as soon as the player touches the ball. Do not give him time to set up a shot at the basket.

This means you force the opponent into multiple plans. Make the first, miss the second and make certain you get the rebound.

Then he also has to put it back up to tie, or kick it out to try to win. This put the odds into your favor as multiple things have to happen to

the game.

b ) Put pressure on the ball at inbounds and don't allow your defenders to sink in past the 3 arc to protect against the three. A pressured three

is harder to hit than an open one, so let them dirve thru the lane if they want.

If they make it, the thing you do not want to do is foul on a their shot.

Neither of these things was done by Wojcik, and the frustrating part is that you took a time out to set a strategy, that didn't work.

Worse yet, you allowed your opponent more time to plan against the players you were putting in.