2011-12 opponents

Hoopsdude18

Beats having to play Jackson State.....

Not if you're a huge Jackson St. fan like I am this year... ]:)

Let's GO JSU!!!.... ;-)

Hey, Jackson State's been to an NCAA Tournament more recently than TU :razz:

DBH & the freshman Obeseki will get some major playing time.

Gonzaga has length at every position (especially the 4). DBH will need to focus on his footwork to stay up with Rob Sacre & Kelly Olynyk... I know Gonzaga's record in the Kennel is amazing but I think we could actually win this game. Gonzaga usually outscores teams. They don't play very good defense... at least Few's teams the past 3-4 years have struggled to lock teams down. Plus they lost both their PG's in Steven Gray and Demetri Goodson; we all know how hard it is to play without a true PG.

If we can keep them in the high 60's I say we have a good chance.

Looking forward to the Oral Roberts game (which hopefully will lead to others). In Feb. of '04 I stopped by your campus when I was down for the Gonzaga/Tulsa game. Also -- I kinda feel at home because of the "question" one needs to answer to be a member here -- which ORU sport has had a number one draft pick? Not only do I know the answer, but I know Mike (at least I did). My Gonzaga roommate (and best friend to this day) played AA ball in the Eastern League (Lynn Sailors) with Mike. I believe that was his first year of professional baseball. I stay in contact with a few guys off that team (Bud Black, Dave Valle, Dave Smith) -- and I did run into Mike a handful of times during his big league career in Seattle (my hometown).

All that being said -- I have to differ a bit with the ascertations of the Good Dr. Cornelius vis a vis Gonzaga's defense. That meme was correct during the Adam Morrison's years -- when GU's field goal percentage defense was 145th in the nation. But the Sweet 16 squad of '09 -- GU's field goal percentage defense was #4 in the nation. The other years in the last half decade it's been 18, 21, 33 and 56 (out of the 341 schools that play D1 Men's Hoops. So yes -- it's true that Gonzaga tries to outscore it's opponents (doesn't everybody) -- but it's not exactly as if they don't play defense -- they do -- at least since '06 ended.

Again, looking forward to welcoming ORU in the Kennel (when they start their 2 game Jesuit road trip (GU and X).

Edited to add: While it is true that p.g. Demetri Goodson left Gonzaga to play football at Texas A and M -- it's also true that redshirt freshman walk-on David Stockton* (now on scholarship) earned most of the meaningful minutes at pg down the stretch. WCC Newcomer of the Year (and WCC tourney MVP Marquis Carter, while primarliy a 2 also saw time at pg). Steven Gray was a 3. *Stockton's mom was a GU Volleyball Player.

Looking forward to the Oral Roberts game (which hopefully will lead to others). In Feb. of '04 I stopped by your campus when I was down for the Gonzaga/Tulsa game. Also -- I kinda feel at home because of the "question" one needs to answer to be a member here -- which ORU sport has had a number one draft pick? Not only do I know the answer, but I know Mike (at least I did). My Gonzaga roommate (and best friend to this day) played AA ball in the Eastern League (Lynn Sailors) with Mike. I believe that was his first year of professional baseball. I stay in contact with a few guys off that team (Bud Black, Dave Valle, Dave Smith) -- and I did run into Mike a handful of times during his big league career in Seattle (my hometown).

All that being said -- I have to differ a bit with the ascertations of the Good Dr. Cornelius vis a vis Gonzaga's defense. That meme was correct during the Adam Morrison's years -- when GU's field goal percentage defense was 145th in the nation. But the Sweet 16 squad of '09 -- GU's field goal percentage defense was #4 in the nation. The other years in the last half decade it's been 18, 21, 33 and 56 (out of the 341 schools that play D1 Men's Hoops. So yes -- it's true that Gonzaga tries to outscore it's opponents (doesn't everybody) -- but it's not exactly as if they don't play defense -- they do -- at least since '06 ended.

Again, looking forward to welcoming ORU in the Kennel (when they start their 2 game Jesuit road trip (GU and X).

Edited to add: While it is true that p.g. Demetri Goodson left Gonzaga to play football at Texas A and M -- it's also true that redshirt freshman walk-on David Stockton* (now on scholarship) earned most of the meaningful minutes at pg down the stretch. WCC Newcomer of the Year (and WCC tourney MVP Marquis Carter, while primarliy a 2 also saw time at pg). Steven Gray was a 3. *Stockton's mom was a GU Volleyball Player.

Mike Moore #1 pick in 1985. I remember reading it in newspaper in PA and an army recruiter telling me later in the day.

Though Mike helped another player start a long streak. He hit Cal Ripken in the head. When Cal got back he vowed never to miss another game. He kept that vow for 2632 games.

Enjoyed watching Mike pitch in 1990 World Series with Oakland. (was that the earthquake World Series?). I recall him as he sat beside me in Freshman English class at ORU.

Thanks for coming on the board GoZags. Without question, Gonzaga is the program that our family has most admired over the last 10 years or so. They show what a small school can accomplish with good coaching, good players and fan/ administration support. Numerous times I have caught my boys up late at night watching WCC/Gonzaga playing on tv - when they should have been sleeping.

Clarification: Mike Moore was the first player drafted in the MLB draft, but ORU has had another "first rounder" - Anthony Roberts. He was chosen in the first round (21st pick) of the 1977 NBA draft.

Mike Moore #1 pick in 1985. I remember reading it in newspaper in PA and an army recruiter telling me later in the day.

Though Mike helped another player start a long streak. He hit Cal Ripken in the head. When Cal got back he vowed never to miss another game. He kept that vow for 2632 games.

Enjoyed watching Mike pitch in 1990 World Series with Oakland. (was that the earthquake World Series?). I recall him as he sat beside me in Freshman English class at ORU.

And who did Cal replace?

Ex Zag 2nd baseman Lenny Sakata

And who did Cal replace?

Ex Zag 2nd baseman Lenny Sakata

Gonzaga and ORU are everywhere!!

Glad the Golden Eagles will be playing your team in December!!

I'll add my enthusiasm about playing Gonzaga this season, GoZags! I've long admired Mark Few and the Gonzaga program. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm, uh, "reading" the "Bravehearts" book about your program now!

I love the Spokane area - I've been there several times. My wife and I both have relatives in Spokane - in fact, when I got out of school, it was my desire to move there. But things didn't work out with that, and I'm still living in the Tulsa area. But I still love Spokane.

According to rumors of Gonzaga's yet to released schedule, the Zags will play ORU in the middle of a ten-day, four-game homestand, against some pretty heady competition. Try this on for size...

Dec 10 - Michigan State

Dec 15 - ORU

Dec 17 - Arizona (played at Key Arena in Seattle)

Dec 20 - Butler

No matter how much Coach Few will attempt to prepare his team and "talk up" ORU, they can't help but look past the Golden Eagles. Each of the other games are ones "circled" on the schedule - and ORU is meant to be the "breather" in between. Add that to the fact that Gonzaga's finals week is Dec. 12-15...and I can't think of a better time to play them!

According to rumors of Gonzaga's yet to released schedule, the Zags will play ORU in the middle of a ten-day, four-game homestand, against some pretty heady competition. Try this on for size...

Dec 10 - Michigan State

Dec 15 - ORU

Dec 17 - Arizona (played at Key Arena in Seattle)

Dec 20 - Butler

No matter how much Coach Few will attempt to prepare his team and "talk up" ORU, they can't help but look past the Golden Eagles. Each of the other games are ones "circled" on the schedule - and ORU is meant to be the "breather" in between. Add that to the fact that Gonzaga's finals week is Dec. 12-15...and I can't think of a better time to play them!

I'm beginning to see some wiliness in Mike Carter hanging onto Dec. 15 as his preferred date to play TU. Any chance that he knew in advance that Gonzaga had that date open?

Mike Carter is normally not involved in scheduling - that is done by the coaches. Unless an opponent breaks a contract and then he has to get involved.

Mike Carter normally not involved in scheduling - that is done by the coaches. Unless an opponent welshes on a contract and he has to get involved.

Wiliness, nonetheless! B)

TheEagleman prefers ORU playing at Gonzaga then against TU any day of the week...and with us being in the midst of that rough stretch of home games for the Zags....what will they do when ORU sneaks into Spokane and upsets them?....I can see it now....Niles goes off for 35...DBH and DoMo each chip in with 20 and a double double for Tree....ORU runs away at the end like we did at Lawrence, Kansas 5 yrs ago.... ;-)

I can see it now....Niles goes off for 35...DBH and DoMo each chip in with 20 and a double double for Tree....ORU runs away at the end like we did at Lawrence, Kansas 5 yrs ago.... ;-)

i want some of whatever you're smoking eagleman... :rofl: