2011-12 opponents

Hoopsdude18

Yeah, I had heard this one was in the works several months ago, but I wondered if it had fallen through after WVU waited so long to announce it.

Will be a chore to go against a Bob Huggins team: they are always tough as nails. :punch:

UPDATED 2011-2012 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

vs. Texas Tech

vs. Missouri State

vs. Tulsa (?)

vs. Austin Peay

vs. BracketBuster opponent

vs. Non D-1 opponent (hopefully)

@ West Virginia

@ Xavier

@ Oklahoma

@ Arkansas-Little Rock

@ 2-or-3-game tournament (hearing it could be a pre- or early-season tourney)

plus, 18 Summit League games - that's pretty much a complete schedule (and an impressive one at that).

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University Director of Athletics Oliver Luck and the BIG EAST Conference have announced WVU’s home and away opponents for the 2011-12 men’s basketball season.

The Mountaineers will play 16 regular season games at the WVU Coliseum this season. BIG EAST teams visiting Morgantown will be Cincinnati, DePaul, Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, Pitt, Rutgers and Villanova. In non-conference play at the Coliseum, WVU will face Kent State, Oral Roberts, Alcorn State, Akron and Miami as well as two additional home games as part of the Las Vegas Classic.

LINK

Man, alum, you are GOOD!! You've become the point man on all info on ORU sports! Keep it up!

ORU at WVU?....TheEagleman loves it.....might call for a road trip.... :ugeek:

On 2nd thought....tickets at the WVU Colisium are probably very difficult to get....tough game here for ORU...great match up of coaches....the foul mouth Huggins vs. the choir boy Sutton....maybe ESPN will pick this one up?.... :ugeek:

Be looking for a story in Saturday morning's Tulsa World regarding the schedule - very cool announcement regarding this season's "exempt" tournament.

We're going to have a killer schedule next year - with or without TU.

Maybe we should dump TU anyway and get a "more worthy" opponent.... :razz::razz::razz:....TheEagleman is now frothing at the mouth waiting for this big schedule announcement over the weekend!..... :wacko:

ORU at WVU?....TheEagleman loves it.....might call for a road trip.... :ugeek:

I'll see you at WVU, eagleman.

Been there for games in the past in Morgantown WV.

Only 1 1/2 hours away from me.

Maybe Minyard can get us tickets.

Maybe we should dump TU anyway and get a "more worthy" opponent.... :razz::razz::razz:....TheEagleman is now frothing at the mouth waiting for this big schedule announcement over the weekend!..... :wacko:

No. Beating TU is too enjoyable. And, watching their message board melt down is priceless!

Very true...beating TU is always the best.....TheEagleman is looking forward to ORU giving them a serious whipping this upcoming season.... :wink:

if ORU draws OSU in the pre-season NIT, how big would a return to stillwater be for sean sutton?

i also wonder if this is what is making scheduling TU early in the season more difficult. i'm not saying ORU will advance, but i would imagine you have to leave certain dates open just in case.

"Here's a look at a few of the headliners:

The season opener on November 11th, at West Virginia. It will be the first meeting between the two schools.

December 8th's match-up with OU in Norman.

On December 12th, ORU takes on defending Atlantic 10 champ Xavier.

The Golden Eagles get a marquee home game as well, as Texas Tech comes to the Mabee Center on December 22nd.

You can add to this tough slate of games the NIT Season Tip-Off, where ORU could play road games at Oklahoma State, Syracuse, Stanford, or Virginia Tech."

I would be shocked if we are not matched up against Oklahoma State: the travel costs would be minimal and the story line of Sean Sutton returning to GIA is too much to pass up. It would assure a large crowd. I am also sure that Travis Ford would not like to face ORU or the comparison to the Suttons. It did not turn out well for the last Cowboy coach when ORU ran them out of the gym.

Has there been an official announcement that ORU is in the pre-season NIT?....playing at OSU would be quite an interesting matchup..... :ugeek:

I think the article in the Tulsa World was pretty official. I found an interesting blog where someone is piecing together all of the participants in the many tournaments that occur during the NCAA basketball season. According to him, in addition to OSU, Virginia Tech, Stanford and Syracuse; George Mason and Texas San-Antonio will also be playing in the Preseason NIT.

Also, the semifinals and finals of the Preseason NIT will be played in NYC on Nov. 23rd and 25th, which is the Wednesday right before and Friday right after Thanksgiving Day.

Tulsa will be playing in the Charleston Classic Nov. 17-20th and other notable teams in that field include LSU and Georgia Tech.

NDSU will be playing in the Montana 4-team tournament that ORU played in something like 10 years ago. I think it was when Al Jerkens was our radio play-by-play announcer and I think he told a story about being nervous about the weather conditions the team's plane took off in after that tournament and the travel woes it took to get back to Tulsa.

Also, I recognize several of these tournaments that we have played in in the past such as:

Puerto Rico Tip-Off

Cancun Challenge

All-College Tournament

Montana Tournament

Preseason NIT Tip-Off

Great Alaska Shootout

Blogging The Bracket

Looks like the ORU 2011-12 schedule will be very challenging....we have a team that certainly be competitive and actually win some of these marquee games....not sure TheEagleman can wait another four months for some roundball.... :ugeek:

TheEagleman hadn't seen the July 2 Tulsa World article about the ORU schedule until this morning....good stuff....let's hope we can iron out the date for the TU game and the full schedule can be announced within the next few weeks...frankly, if I were TU....I wouldn't want to play us at Mabee this year either..... :razz:

if UTSA and brooks thompson also go to stillwater for the pre-season NIT the local fish wraps will have plenty to write about.

Friday, Nov. 11.............@ West Virginia

Nov. 14 - 16..................NIT Season Tip-Off/Game #1

Nov. 14 - 16..................NIT Season Tip-Off/Game #2

Saturday, Nov. 19..........AUSTIN PEAY

To Be Determined..........@ UALR

Wednesday, Nov. 30......MISSOURI STATE

Thursday, Dec. 1...........SOUTHERN UTAH

Thursday, Dec. 8............@ Oklahoma

Monday, Dec. 12............@ Xavier

Thursday, Dec. 22..........TEXAS TECH

Wednesday, Dec. 28.......@ UMKC

Friday, Dec. 30...............@ South Dakota

Tuesday, Jan. 3..............@ Oakland

Thursday, Jan. 5.............NORTH DAKOTA STATE

Saturday, Jan. 7..............SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Thursday, Jan. 12............@ Western Illinois

Saturday, Jan 14.............@ IUPUI

Thursday, Jan. 19............IPFW

Saturday, Jan. 21............OAKLAND

Thursday, Jan. 26............SOUTH DAKOTA

Saturday, Jan. 28.............UMKC

Thursday, Feb. 2 .............@ SDSU

Saturday, Feb. 4 ..............@ NDSU

Thursday, Feb. 9..............IUPUI

Saturday, Feb. 11.............WESTERN ILLINOIS

Wednesday, Feb. 15.........@ IPFW

Saturday, Feb. 18.............ESPN BRACKET BUSTER

To Be Determined.............TULSA

Saturday, Feb 25..............@ Southern Utah

March 3 - March 6 ...........Summit League Tournament in Sioux Falls, SD

ORU playing back to back nights at Mabee Center vs. Missouri State and So. Utah???....that can't be right...???...TheEagleman would expect at least one day's rest before an important Summit League opener... :eek: