2011-12 opponents

Hoopsdude18

Hoops it's cause Oakland doesn't play defense like we in mo town face night in and night out :)

And how do u say truck and Kevin jones can't hit 3s

Hoops it's cause Oakland doesn't play defense like we in mo town face night in and night out :)

Maybe so, but it just seemed ridiculous that night!

And how do u say truck and Kevin jones can't hit 3s

Jones shot 30% and Truck shot 32%. Sure they can hit threes, but not what I would call a threat.

Jones took more of an inside roll last year until big Denizmonty found his groove... shot 40% from the 3 the year before as you said Noreen and Deniz inside are big men, and Jones will probably play the 3 this year instead of the 4.... giving him more jump shot chances.... with that being said if ORU comes out strong it could mean trouble on a Friday night before a football game.... quiet crowd, fewer fans, WV football playoffs going on... also you don't mention the recruiting class, Hinds is expected to come in and play a huge roll, he played with Jones his Senior year of high school so they immediately have chemistry...

What's going on with the schedule for the upcoming season?....i would think it's coming out before the end of July?... :ugeek:

Pairings set for NIT Season Tip-Off

NEW YORK (AP) - Syracuse, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech and Stanford will be the hosts for the opening doubleheaders of the 2011 NIT Season Tip-Off.

The pairings for the 27th edition of the tournament were announced Wednesday.

The first two rounds will be Nov. 14-16. The semifinals and finals are at Madison Square Garden Nov. 23 and 25.

Syracuse will host Manhattan with Albany facing Brown in the other game. Monmouth will be at Virginia Tech with George Mason playing Florida International. Oklahoma State will host Arkansas-Pine Bluff with Oral Roberts meeting Texas-San Antonio. Fresno State will be at Stanford with Colorado State taking on SMU in the other game.

The first- and second-round losers will play third- and fourth-round doubleheaders Nov. 21-22 at campus sites.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/wires/07/20/2060.ap.bkc.nit.season.tip.off.0162/index.html#ixzz1SfQM2mFI

brooks thompson vs. the suttons should be interesting. not to mention the return of sean to GIA.

i'm not sure if i'm reading the article right, is ORU guaranteed 4 games or just 2?

Interesting field with lots of potential storylines for each round of play:

Brooks Thompson of UTSA in the opener

Sean Sutton vs. OSU in round two

Possible matchups with Stanford and/or SMU, both with recent history against ORU

Really glad to see us involved in this level of tournament - and to be able to play the initial game(s) close to home. Great opportunity for players and fans alike!

Texas San Antonio Roadrunners are in the Southland Conference and won their conference tournament and are coached by Brooks Thompson - a former OSU basketball player.

Here is a link to the Texas San Antonio 2011-12 basketball prospectus: Link

(excerpt)

2011-12 UTSA Men's Basketball prospectus

Courtesy: UTSA Athletics Communications

Release: 06/30/2011

SAN ANTONIO — Coming off arguably the program’s best season in two decades, excitement surrounding UTSA basketball is at an all-time high. With 12 letterwinners — including four starters — back from a squad that posted the first 20-win campaign in 19 years, won the Southland Conference Tournament Championship and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, head coach Brooks Thompson has plenty of reasons to be excited about the prospects of the 2011-12 season........

For a hot day in July there sure are a lot of people on the message board lately.....

I'm really intrigued by the NIT Consolation Bracket doubleheaders that follow a week later.

If last year's format stays the same, the 12 teams that don't advance to Madison Square Garden are reseeded and sent as 4-team pods to three different campus sites, where they each get an additional two games of bracket play. Missouri State was one of the consolation hosts last year, along with George Washington and Wake Forest.

As much as I would love to see our guys make it to The Big Apple, I wonder if there is any chance we could be hosting two days of doubleheaders with the likes of Fresno State, SMU, Colorado State, and George Mason..

For a hot day in July there sure are a lot of people on the message board lately.....

Too hot to do anything else. Nothing better than spending idle time on the message board while watching the grass die in the front lawn through the living room window. While sitting in air conditioning.

Of course, most of those on the board right now are actually at WORK . . . :ugeek:

I'm really intrigued by the NIT Consolation Bracket doubleheaders that follow a week later.

If last year's format stays the same, the 12 teams that don't advance to Madison Square Garden are reseeded and sent as 4-team pods to three different campus sites, where they each get an additional two games of bracket play. Missouri State was one of the consolation hosts last year, along with George Washington and Wake Forest.

As much as I would love to see our guys make it to The Big Apple, I wonder if there is any chance we could be hosting two days of doubleheaders with the likes of Fresno State, SMU, Colorado State, and George Mason..

I have to say, I can't really think of anything more exciting happening at Mabee Center than playing host to a tournament like that. It would be incredible if such a thing could happen.

ORU-UTSA is a tough matchup in the opener....but at least we play the Roadrunners on a neutral court with hopefully a few hundred ORU faithful in attendence....there is certainly a good chance that we can win and play OSU in the 2nd round....if ORU should actually advance to MSG....you can bet that TheEagleman will be there....it's been over 35 yrs since we've played at the Garden...don't think ORU has been back since the NIT in 1975, right?..... :ugeek:

• 2 weeks later...

A few thoughts on the still-to-be-finalized schedule:

1. No dates yet on "at UALR" and the TU game. Getting pretty close to school starting - the parties involved are going to have to figure this stuff out ASAP, since the dates influence a variety of campus events and activities - and vice versa.

2. The Thursday night Southern Utah home game, originally scheduled the day after hosting the Wednesday night Missouri State contest, has been bumped to Saturday night of that same week. Makes sense...

3. Some interesting seeding information from the NIT Preseason Tip-Off bracket (link):

NORTH BRACKET - Syracuse, NY (winner plays East Bracket winner in NYC)

#1 Syracuse

Manhattan

Albany

Brown

EAST BRACKET - Blacksburg, VA (winner plays North Bracket winner in NYC)

#4 Virginia Tech

Monmouth

#5 George Mason

FIU

WEST BRACKET - Palo Alto, CA (winner plays Midwest Bracket winner in NYC)

#3 Stanford

Fresno State

#7 Colorado State

SMU

MIDWEST BRACKET - Stillwater, OK (winner plays West Bracket winner in NYC)

#2 Oklahoma State

Arkansas - Pine Bluff

#6 Oral Roberts

#8 UTSA

The Midwest Bracket is the only bracket with three seeded teams. Contrast that to the North Bracket: think the powers-that-be are trying to ensure crowd-favorite Syracuse makes it to Madison Square Garden?

Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised ORU is seeded higher than UTSA. ORU's #6 Seed can only help our cause to host 3rd and 4th round games should we be in the Consolation Bracket after the first two games.

In fact, I've been told the ORU season ticket packet will INCLUDE provisional tickets for 3rd and 4th round Consolation Bracket games, just in case ORU does host on Nov. 21st & 22nd.

What a great deal for ORU season ticket holders: FREE TICKETS for back-to-back nights of NIT tournament basketball at the Mabee Center - could be really cool!

Here's the updated schedule:

Friday, Nov. 11..............@ West Virginia

Nov. 14 or 15.................Texas-San Antonio (NIT Preseason Tip-Off, 1st Round - Stillwater, OK)

Nov. 15 or 16.................Oklahoma State or Arkansas-Pine Bluff (NIT Preseason Tip-Off, 2nd Round - Stillwater, OK)

Saturday, Nov. 19..........AUSTIN PEAY

Monday, Nov. 21............NIT Preseason Tip-Off, Consolation 3rd Round (Campus Sites TBD)

Tuesday, Nov. 22............NIT Preseason Tip-Off, Consolation 4th Round (Campus Sites TBD)

Wednesday, Nov. 23.......NIT Preseason Tip-Off, Championship 3rd Round (Madison Square Garden, NYC, NY)

Thursday, Nov. 24...........NIT Preseason Tip-Off, Championship 4th Round (Madison Square Garden, NYC, NY)

Wednesday, Nov. 30.......MISSOURI STATE

Saturday, Dec. 3.............SOUTHERN UTAH

Thursday, Dec. 8............@ Oklahoma

Monday, Dec. 12............@ UALR

Sunday, Dec. 18.............@ Xavier

Thursday, Dec. 22..........TEXAS TECH

Wednesday, Dec. 28......@ UMKC

Friday, Dec. 30...............@ South Dakota

Tuesday, Jan. 3..............@ Oakland

Thursday, Jan. 5.............NORTH DAKOTA STATE

Saturday, Jan. 7..............SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Thursday, Jan. 12............@ Western Illinois

Saturday, Jan 14.............@ IUPUI

Thursday, Jan. 19............IPFW

Saturday, Jan. 21............OAKLAND

Thursday, Jan. 26............SOUTH DAKOTA

Saturday, Jan. 28.............UMKC

Thursday, Feb. 2 .............@ South Dakota State

Saturday, Feb. 4 .............@ North Dakota State

Thursday, Feb. 9..............IUPUI

Saturday, Feb. 11.............WESTERN ILLINOIS

Wednesday, Feb. 15.........@ IPFW

Saturday, Feb. 18.............ESPN BRACKET BUSTER

Saturday, Feb 25..............@ Southern Utah

March 3 - March 6 ............Summit League Tournament in Sioux Falls, SD

Looks like a great schedule for ORU....very challenging but winnable games....no doubt we will win a game or two where we are underdogs....the first 6 weeks are going to be difficult....no Eagleman predictions or in depth comments until I see the finished product..... :ugeek:

another tough schedule for coach sutton. if they can't get TU scheduled, i say schedule an "East Popcorn State" and add another win to the schedule.