ORU Signs BTW guard Korey Billbury

ORUHomer

I don't know if they can comment on walk-ons until they actually enroll in school.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dchief42

• Old Titan

• bballmangc

• SOLO_Gold

Could also be that ORU has not received all of the paperwork yet and therefore cannot discuss the twins.

We may not know the final disposition of the roster until school starts in August.

I don't know if they can comment on walk-ons until they actually enroll in school.

yea thats what I was thinking as well, I heard they are coming this summer..enrolling for summer classes

Is there not a beat reporter who can call or text Sutton and be like, "Coach, you have 16 players projected for next season, can you give us an update as to how the roster situation is shaping up at this point?" At worst, he says he's not ready to talk about it at this point. At best, he clears up a few things.

I feel like there is some unspoken agreement that beat guys can't ask coaches questions or write articles on their teams in the off-season, otherwise there wouldn't be so much darn speculation all the time (not unique to ORU by any means). Any one else notice this?

If recruits haven't finished their paperwork (signed the LOI but did not submit other items), then the coaches cannot say anything about them.

Our coaches have a long history of keeping things close to the vest. I also think that Coach Sutton is probably busy trying to decide who to hire for the open assistant position.

Again, it might be August until we know definitively what our roster looks like. But that is true every year it seems.

TheEagleman would love to see Coach Sutton bring Bob Knight in as an asst.....can you imagine all the chairs being hurled around Mabee Center after Coach Knight gets a taste of Summit League officiating?.... :razz::-P:razz:

Just reading the bio on Billbury.....This kid from BTW sounds like a real winner....guess it didn't hurt that his coach is an ORU guy.... :clap:

Actually his coach is a TU guy.... Shea Seals. Great shooter for the Golden Hurricane.

The former BTW coach, Nate Harris was an ORU alum - and evidently did not have fond memories of his day at 81st and Lewis. We never got one player from Booker T. Washington during all of the years of his coaching career.

always learn something new on this board. i always wondered why ORU never had any players from a basketball factory like BTW. i guess it's a good thing nate harris retired.

i still say the best HS team i ever saw was that BTW team w/eton thomas, ryan humphrey, bj tiger and marcus hill.

Ironic that we get our first BTW recruit (not counting Nate Harris) when their coach is a TU graduate.

I played against William and Waymon Tisdale when they were at Booker T, and they were awesome, but the best high school player I EVER saw anywhere in person was former Hornet Richard Dumas, who went on to play college ball at OSU.

Dumas should have been a perennial NBA All-Star - such a waste...

OT posting up Waymon Tisdale?....now that's a matchup that TheEagleman would love to have some film of.... :shock::grin::razz:

always learn something new on this board. i always wondered why ORU never had any players from a basketball factory like BTW. i guess it's a good thing nate harris retired.

i still say the best HS team i ever saw was that BTW team w/eton thomas, ryan humphrey, bj tiger and marcus hill.

Also on this bball team was R.W McQuarters CB who played for OSU and in the pros.

Also on this bball team was R.W McQuarters CB who played for OSU and in the pros.

don't know how i forgot about RW. two future NBA players and a NFL guy.

an agent could make a good living just hanging around BTW w/all the NBA and NFL talent they produce.

Anyone remember Marquay Ball? He was a 6'6 wing from BTW that was pretty set on coming to ORU. His parents were pastors in the community. Not sure all of the details, but the word was that a hole in his heart was discovered during a routine physical and the physician told him to call it quits on playing organized hoops. I believe he graduated BTW in 2000. Maybe some of the posters around then could shed more light on the situation.

OT posting up Waymon Tisdale?....now that's a matchup that TheEagleman would love to have some film of.... :shock::grin::razz:

As a junior on the Memorial High School JV team, I had the distinct misery of having Waymon - as a freshman - go for about 25 or 30 while me and a couple of other Chargers fouled out hacking him in the post.

Those JV games were played at 4:30 in the afternoon. Afterward, Waymon would kick back in the stands with his uniform still on, eating fast food and watching the girls' game that followed at 6:00 pm, then would do his business AGAIN in the BTW varsity game at 7:30 pm, where guys 3-to-5 years older couldn't stop him either.

Smiling the entire time - the guy was one of a kind.

God Bless Waymon Tisdale....TheEagleman heard he was a really nice guy.....gonna miss him!... :'(

• 2 weeks later...