Men's Basketball To Announce "Exciting News" (Tulsa World)

Old Titan

OK fine...I'll fess up. I know the 'news'.....

I am donating $500,000,000, we are expanding the Mabee Center to seat 20,000, and we are joining the Big 12 for men's basketball only!

YES!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• oruvoice

• donkeylarry

• vcboy2000

Top Posters In This Topic

What has it been.... 2 years since my last post????

I hate to say this and do not actually think this is the "exciting news" but is there a slight possibility that ORU is dropping from Division 1? Given the hoopla behind it and Cris Belvin's quote ("It's positive...."), I can't imagine that is going to be the announcement. However... we have heard Dr. Rutland say in the past that this is not out of the realm of possibility if the basketball program is a financial detriment to the University. An announcement like this would obviously be greeted with a lot of negativity so maybe presenting it as a big announcement and putting a very positive spin on it would be an approach to preempt the negativity. Maybe I'm just managing my own expectations and I am sure I am wrong but at least it's something else to talk about for the next 4 hours and 4 minutes.

I thought of that too, Joey, but there'd be nothing exciting about that . . . :(

If that was the case, Rutland would not be attending.

It is basketball related, so it has to do with Scott Sutton (and/or his staff), a donation to the program or some major addition to the program.... not a recruit because we can't talk about them until signing period. Wonder if it has somehting to do with the Fox Sports package?

I've keep hearing from people in different circles who feel strongly it's about Sean Sutton joining the staff.

If that's the case, fine - wonderful story of redemption, albeit a dangerous one in terms of public perception.

But, why all the fanfare? Why would Dr. Rutland be involved?

Having trouble wrapping my brain around that one - if so, VERY curious to see how it's presented at 3:00 p.m.

Could actually be two separate stories: Sean IS in fact joining the staff in some capacity, but today's news is about something totally unrelated.

To dovetail on OT's post, what if the connector between Sean Sutton joining the staff and the big donation is Eddie Sutton? Could Eddie be the contributor of, say, $500K-$1MM to the basketball program? What better time to announce a large donation from a prominent figure than when you announce his son is joining his other son's staff?

To dovetail on OT's post, what if the connector between Sean Sutton joining the staff and the big donation is Eddie Sutton? Could Eddie be the contributor of, say, $500K-$1MM to the basketball program? What better time to announce a large donation from a prominent figure than when you announce his son is joining his other son's staff?

I'm just incredibly impressed that, in this day of message boards, texts, tweets, etc, this thing has been kept under wraps all day.

If they're actually able to pull it off, and it really is BIG news, then it's something no other college, pro team, Fortune 500 company, or the federal government seems capable of doing in The Cyber Age: actually keeping something a secret until you're ready to announce it. :x

I'm just incredibly impressed that, in this day of message boards, texts, tweets, etc, this thing has been kept under wraps all day.

If they're actually able to pull it off, and it really is BIG news, then it's something no other college, pro team, Fortune 500 company, or the federal government seems capable of doing in The Cyber Age: actually keeping something a secret until you're ready to announce it. :x

They didn't tell you, me, or Mike Minyard...thus, the secret is safe.

I hate to say this and do not actually think this is the "exciting news" but is there a slight possibility that ORU is dropping from Division 1? Given the hoopla behind it and Cris Belvin's quote ("It's positive...."), I can't imagine that is going to be the announcement. However... we have heard Dr. Rutland say in the past that this is not out of the realm of possibility if the basketball program is a financial detriment to the University. An announcement like this would obviously be greeted with a lot of negativity so maybe presenting it as a big announcement and putting a very positive spin on it would be an approach to preempt the negativity.

If THIS is even remotely close to the news, I'm not excited at all and will be in a downward spiral for a long long time. You know what will be a financial detriment to the university? Dropping from Division 1 in anything. My head hurts just thinking about it.

Here's hoping we can lock Coach Sutton up, today or in the near future, as long as we are able to. Maybe the big news is that the QuikTrip taquito, hot dog and corndog (or whatever) will be back for halftime racing again? That would be huge.

They didn't tell you, me, or Mike Minyard...thus, the secret is safe.

I see a big conference table, in a dimly lit room, with lots of important people seated around it.

Projected on the wall are mug shots of all of us, while a shadowy figure standing off to one side says, "Gentlemen, our mission is clear: how do we keep this information out of the hands of "The Axis of Premature Announciation"??

Whatever strategery they came up with in that late night session, it's working... :doh:

If the announcement does involve Sean or Eddie, Dr. Rutland would be involved to show the public that the entire University community is supportive of the decision and not just the Athletic Department.

Sean Sutton Getting Back Into Basketball

By Staff Reports

Published: 10/7/2010 2:32 PM

Last Modified: 10/7/2010 2:37 PM

Sean Sutton says he's getting back into basketball and will be working with his brother.

Sutton will be named as an advisor to the Oral Roberts University coaching staff, he said. Sean Sutton's brother, Scott, is the head coach at ORU. Officials at ORU haven't made an announcement, but a press conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. today at the Mabee Center.

"It's a great opportunity for me, and I'm excited about it," Sean Sutton said in a telephone interview this afternoon.

Sean Sutton was head basketball coach at Oklahoma State before resigning under pressure after the 2007-08 season. He was head coach of the Cowboys for two seasons and had a 39-29 record. He served as an OSU assistant under his father, Eddie Sutton.

In August, Sean Sutton pleaded guilty to felony drug charges stemming from an addiction to prescription painkillers and received a three-year deferred sentence. He recently moved from Stillwater to Tulsa.

Sean Sutton Returning To Basketball (Tulsa World)