Men's Basketball To Announce "Exciting News" (Tulsa World)

Old Titan

Well, here's something you don't see every day:

ORU To Announce "Exciting News" Thursday

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

Published: 10/6/2010 10:45 PM

Last Modified: 10/6/2010 10:45 PM

The Oral Roberts University athletic program has called a press conference concerning the men's basketball program for 3 p.m. Thursday on the main floor of the Mabee Center.

ORU president Mark Rutland will be on hand, along with athletic director Mike Carter and head basketball coach Scott Sutton. They will discuss “exciting news involving the men's basketball program,” according to a university release.

While school officials remained mum on the topic of the press conference, speculation ran the gamut of possibilities from conference affiliation to a contract extension for Sutton, who will enter his 12th year at the helm.

“It's positive, it's relevant, and people will want to know about it,” said Cris Belvin, ORU director of athletic media relations, late Wednesday night.

ORU To Announce "Exciting News" Thursday (Tulsa World website)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• oruvoice

• donkeylarry

• vcboy2000

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think it has something to do with another Sutton joining our staff?

Or Suttons. That would be awesome!

ORU joins the Big East?..... :P ......hummmm.....inquiring minds want to know......at least TheEagleman is pleased that we will get to watch all the home games on FCS this year....i love it!.... :clap:

Please let it be conference affiliation...

But, the release says men's basketball. If it were conference affiliation, it would have said "athletics".

Very curious. It is hard to believe that Dr. Rutland would be involved with something like a contract extension for Scott. And given Scott's normal reticience to draw attention to himself, that would be a bit out of the norm. If that is what it is, then that is great news because Scott is a perfect fit for ORU and we need to do everything in our power to keep him.

Here are a range of possibilities:

1. Contract extension for Scott and we are naming the court after him.

2. A generous donor has given some serious money to ORU Athletics/Basketball (see above)

3. We are moving to the MVC or Sunbelt conference - in which case we will need #2 above.

4. We are adding a member to our staff - and his last name is Sutton.

5. A player from Arkansas is transferring to ORU.

Very curious. It is hard to believe that Dr. Rutland would be involved with something like a contract extension for Scott. And given Scott's normal reticience to draw attention to himself, that would be a bit out of the norm. If that is what it is, then that is great news because Scott is a perfect fit for ORU and we need to do everything in our power to keep him.

Here are a range of possibilities:

1. Contract extension for Scott and we are naming the court after him.

2. A generous donor has given some serious money to ORU Athletics/Basketball (see above)

3. We are moving to the MVC or Sunbelt conference - in which case we will need #2 above.

4. We are adding a member to our staff - and his last name is Sutton.

5. A player from Arkansas is transferring to ORU.

number one seems the most plausible.

Another possibility:

6. ORU has entered into a $1 million contract with Dippin Dots (the ice cream of the future since 1975)

First off, I would like to thank the Athletic Department for assuring I don't get a darned thing accomplished today before 3:00 p.m. My phone starting ringing at 8:00 a.m. this morning and hasn't stopped since. I'm sure many of you are dealing with the same sort of hub-bub within your own circles.

For the record, I have no idea what is going on, which apparently puts me in pretty good company: there is one tight lid on this story.

Which frankly you would imagine, with Dr. Rutland's involvement in the event.

Would you want to be the Athletic Department insider with loose lips if this news happens to show up on the Tulsa World website at noon?

I envision some terrified staffer hiding in a broom closet after hearing from down the hall, "ALRIGHT - WHO LEAKED IT???"

My humble hunch: if Dr. Rutland is willing to share the podium at a press conference on the Mabee Center floor, it ain't about Sean.

My guess is it involves three things he always seems to bring to the party: 1. Good news 2. Long-range vision 3. And a way to pay for it.

Which leads to me to think it either involves a long-term contract for Scott, or a major financial gift or initiative for the men's basketball program.

Anything else, and he's put his own neck on the line with alumni, donors, the media, etc., for no good reason.

OK fine...I'll fess up. I know the 'news'.....

I am donating $500,000,000, we are expanding the Mabee Center to seat 20,000, and we are joining the Big 12 for men's basketball only!

What has it been.... 2 years since my last post????

I hate to say this and do not actually think this is the "exciting news" but is there a slight possibility that ORU is dropping from Division 1? Given the hoopla behind it and Cris Belvin's quote ("It's positive...."), I can't imagine that is going to be the announcement. However... we have heard Dr. Rutland say in the past that this is not out of the realm of possibility if the basketball program is a financial detriment to the University. An announcement like this would obviously be greeted with a lot of negativity so maybe presenting it as a big announcement and putting a very positive spin on it would be an approach to preempt the negativity. Maybe I'm just managing my own expectations and I am sure I am wrong but at least it's something else to talk about for the next 4 hours and 4 minutes.

I hate to say this and do not actually think this is the "exciting news" but is there a slight possibility that ORU is dropping from Division 1? Given the hoopla behind it and Cris Belvin's quote ("It's positive...."), I can't imagine that is going to be the announcement. However... we have heard Dr. Rutland say in the past that this is not out of the realm of possibility if the basketball program is a financial detriment to the University. An announcement like this would obviously be greeted with a lot of negativity so maybe presenting it as a big announcement and putting a very positive spin on it would be an approach to preempt the negativity. Maybe I'm just managing my own expectations and I am sure I am wrong but at least it's something else to talk about for the next 4 hours and 4 minutes.

You still alive?

...but at least it's something else to talk about for the next 4 hours and 4 minutes.

Oh, let's not... ;)

Things I hope it isn't - not because they wouldn't be cool, but because we might look silly for how we went about announcing it:

1. Scheduling

2. Mabee Center upgrades

3. Ticket plans/prices

4. Sean Sutton

Welcome back, JoeyO! We've missed you!! Please hang around awhile!!