• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• oruvoice

Yes. ORU won something like 88-81, in an exciting game, in front of a packed house.

They NAIA days were lots of fun. Roadies to Drury, Ft. Hays St., Tarleton St., Phillips (in Enid), SWOSU, etc.!

Who broadcast the games back then?

Do we archive any of the old radio shows? I assume the radio station(s) did not.

Actually, it was a weird deal. We travelled 2 radio crews that year. KXOJ and a seperate AM signal. Long story. But, having 2 radio teams, while competing in the NAIA was goofy.

Going into high school like facilities and requesting 2 radio lines made for some fun experiences!

For what it's worth, I posted my thoughts on the ORU schedule on my blog. In sum, basically says that the schedule this year is very well-balanced, with ample opportunity for some noteworthy upsets and the non-con is a great test for Summit play. Expecting big things from ORU this year, and as an Oakland fan, that's a little frightening.

http://grizzliesgameplan.blogspot.com/2 ... on_07.html

For what it's worth, I posted my thoughts on the ORU schedule on my blog.

Well, I'll tell you "what it's worth": plenty.

Very well-done piece - engaging style, great depth, salient details. Better than many (most? all?) ORU preseason previews I've read this year on the national level.

And, extra credit for the "Taking Bob" gloss - never heard that one before, and I thought I had heard them all, ad nauseam.

Looking forward to reading the synopses of the other league schools - but as far as the insight on ORU is concerned, I say kudos... :clap:

Well done, hoopsdude....TheEagleman thinks you were more than fair....a very positive piece about Oral Roberts U. basketball for the upcoming season.....but shouldn't it be plural....Talking Bobs?.... :P

oh by the way, Hoopsdude....you are sure right about UALR...they have beaten us the past two years yet TheEagleman will be damned if you can tell me how?.....those are two games ORU has to win....if we can't beat those guys, we're in big trouble prior to 1/1/11..... :geek:

What I like about this schedule is that it seems competitive, but not daunting. Over the past three seasons, we played a very solid schedule, but always had a "kicker" game or two on the road that we knew we had little chance of winning. They were guarantee games that brought us guaranteed income and a guaranteed loss (of course, we also thought that about Kansas in 06-07!). In 07-08, we faced Arkansas, Texas, and A+M; 08-09 included Missouri and North Carolina; and last season's schedule featured Wake Forest, Virginia and Louisville.

The only game that I see that reaches even close to that level in 10-11 is Missouri, but it's hard to say that the Tigers are unbeatable after our success last season in Tulsa. I'm certainly not saying that we're going to win every game - but unlike recent years, I don't see a game on the schedule that I think we can't possibly win. Even with the schedule, we may not have a better record than last year (since we were able to pull some significant upsets in 09-10), but I think we'll be have a chance to be competitive in every game.

Nicely put, TrueBlue. I think you've hit the nail on the head. I feel like we can truly be in every game we play. We may end up losing or winning a lot of close ones.

I still would have liked to see us play a "breather" game at home against a non-D1 opponent in either November or December.

I think the psychological boost of a blowout win at home would be a welcome tonic for players and fans alike, amidst all those daunting road games.

I still would have liked to see us play a "breather" game at home against a non-D1 opponent in either November or December.

I think the psychological boost of a blowout win at home would be a welcome tonic for players and fans alike, amidst all those daunting road games.

Can't disagree with you there, OT. My point was emphasizing the relative "weight" of those teams on the "high" end of the scale, but your point on the quantity of games at the "lower" end of the spectrum is just as valid. An additional home game in November/December would have also helped the community and student body to get "attached" to this team early in the season, whereas now it won't likely occur until the conference schedule after the Holidays.

TheEagleman agrees...it's a bonehead move not having a home game from 11/24 to 12/28....we should have snuck one or two patsies in there....where's St. Gregory's or Okla. Baptist when you really need them?.... :P

I would rather see ORU play an extra game on the road in a home and home series that matters (like an Indiana State) that will give us a decent D-1 opponent for the following year at the Mabee Center, than to play a home game against a non D-1 opponent that doesn't count or really matter (unless we lose).

It is important for the team to not be on the road for the entire month of December, but I know that scheduling is a huge challenge. We have to take some of these games whenever we can fit them in. It is important though that the team gets some time at home to practice even if they aren't playing an actual home game rather than truly being stuck away from home for a month.

The only benefit of a non D-1 opponent that I see is to get some of the backup players some quality minutes of real game time. There is very little extra revenue generated for the athletic department when we play a non-D-1 opponent at home vs. the $ benefit of another road guarantee game or a decent home and home series.

TheEagleman understands both sides of the argument....but still, it's not very wise to have 0 home games for 5 weeks from Thanksgiving until after Christmas....the kids are going to be tired plus you have exam week in there....it's just not condusive to winning basketball even if you are Duke or Georgetown.....there has to be a couple of Mabee Center games in there somewhere....December could be a long cold month.... :sweat:

I would rather see ORU play an extra game on the road in a home and home series that matters (like an Indiana State) that will give us a decent D-1 opponent for the following year at the Mabee Center, than to play a home game against a non D-1 opponent that doesn't count or really matter (unless we lose).

It is important for the team to not be on the road for the entire month of December, but I know that scheduling is a huge challenge. We have to take some of these games whenever we can fit them in. It is important though that the team gets some time at home to practice even if they aren't playing an actual home game rather than truly being stuck away from home for a month.

The only benefit of a non D-1 opponent that I see is to get some of the backup players some quality minutes of real game time. There is very little extra revenue generated for the athletic department when we play a non-D-1 opponent at home vs. the $ benefit of another road guarantee game or a decent home and home series.

I think that scheduling solely based on revenue is short-sighted and does not take into account why we are playing basketball in the first place.

It can't be "all about the fans" all the time, but it shouldn't be "all about money", either.

Otherwise, let's just go on the road all preseason every year, ala Chicago State or Savannah State, and just start every January with a 2-10 record.

EVERYONE in the equation would benefit from at least one home game a month, and that includes one in December.

I think that scheduling solely based on revenue is short-sighted and does not take into account why we are playing basketball in the first place.

It can't be "all about the fans" all the time, but it shouldn't be "all about money", either.

Otherwise, let's just go on the road all preseason every year, ala Chicago State or Savannah State, and just start every January with a 2-10 record.

EVERYONE in the equation would benefit from at least one home game a month, and that includes one in December.

Sometimes you make so much sense, OT . . . :geek:

Yep.....OT sounding like a genius today....TheEagleman agrees 100%....can't play 0 home games for 5 weeks.....it's idiocy.... ;)