ORU Lands Junior College Big Man Shawn King

Guest Blevins

Phinstd, please get a handle on your info before you try to test my east coast prep hoops knowledge.

All of the players on The Paterson School roster are not post graduates. A prep team can and almost always will consist of both high school and post graduate players. That is how Hazel could have top 25 high school players on his team, and not be one of them.

Dave Telep of scouts is the only one of the major recruiting sites that ranks post graduates. Rivals only ranks high schoolers.

OK, cocky boy. I asked how he could not be ranked.

So, I guess I'll just look over the 2004 rankings and see his name there right? Or are you going to say he's improved from his sneior year to the next? Of course, I'd say duh. He's supposed to be a freshman, not playing HS kids.

It's hyperbole. If you'd like to see to see his ranking from scout..here ya go.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2177209

I'm not trying to argue with you here, but he's not a top-25 kid. Sorry.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• darrenj

• Phinstd

These rankings are a bit questionable in my eyes.... how do these guys really know all the players in the US and compare them to each other? A lot of the times its seems to be based on which school is recruiting a kid. Not to say that Hazell is top 25 or even top 100. But then again, Caleb Green was not highly ranked coming out of high school.

These rankings are a bit questionable in my eyes.... how do these guys really know all the players in the US and compare them to each other? A lot of the times its seems to be based on which school is recruiting a kid. Not to say that Hazell is top 25 or even top 100. But then again, Caleb Green was not highly ranked coming out of high school.

That is pretty close to what I'm saying. A fan of another team saying this seems to upset some though.

He seems like a big-time get, so don't take offense. It would just be big-time news if a top-25 kid went to ORU. As it would for most mid-majors.

darrenj! I didn't know you were a Horns fan!?! You've just gone up like 20 points in my book...

In other news...looks like Horns are joining ORU as my teams that I root for who are playing like they were overrated in the preseason. Horns got worked by Tennessee today at HOME...geez....

They are in for a long season if Gibson does not play better. Guards are so important in college. Hopefully ORU can get healthy by the time the conference rolls around. They have a tough stretch coming up.

OK, cocky boy. I asked how he could not be ranked.

So, I guess I'll just look over the 2004 rankings and see his name there right? Or are you going to say he's improved from his sneior year to the next? Of course, I'd say duh. He's supposed to be a freshman, not playing HS kids.

It's hyperbole. If you'd like to see to see his ranking from scout..here ya go.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2177209

I'm not trying to argue with you here, but he's not a top-25 kid. Sorry.

Phinstd, not exactly sure i got your point from your last post. What the he!! does '04 rankings have to do with anything? My point is very clear. Telep and Gibbons say that this year (2005) Hazel is the equivalent of a top 25 high school recruit.

What i think you were trying to say, but should have just come out and said it:

Jeremy Hazel can only be an eqivalent to a top 25 high school player because he is older and more experienced than they are. It's like saying an 8 year old who is still in K-5 because he keeps flunking is going to be at the top of his class talent-wise. You are not getting a legit top 25 high school baller.

If this was your point, here is mine:

So what if he has an extra year on the few high school teams they play. So what if he wasn't ranked while he was considered a high schooler. That doesn't change his ability to ball. Why is it so hard for you to see ORU get a player with reputable accolades? Why are you afraid to give Hazel his props? We're not saying that he is the second coming of MJ. What we are saying is exactly what Scott Sutton said, "Hazel has to be one of the most heralded recruits that we've had at this school".

And thanks for providing the link to Hazel's profile. Not sure what you were trying to prove. All it says is that he is not ranked, which is a mute point because he is a post graduate. Show me another post graduate with a high school ranking in their profile and I will concede this argument. Until then why should i take the word of a defector when an correspondent of the site you post (Dave Telep) says different.

Phinstd, not exactly sure i got your point from your last post. What the he!! does '04 rankings have to do with anything? My point is very clear. Telep and Gibbons say that this year (2005) Hazel is the equivalent of a top 25 high school recruit.

What i think you were trying to say, but should have just come out and said it:

Jeremy Hazel can only be an eqivalent to a top 25 high school player because he is older and more experienced than they are. It's like saying an 8 year old who is still in K-5 because he keeps flunking is going to be at the top of his class talent-wise. You are not getting a legit top 25 high school baller.

If this was your point, here is mine:

So what if he has an extra year on the few high school teams they play. So what if he wasn't ranked while he was considered a high schooler. That doesn't change his ability to ball. Why is it so hard for you to see ORU get a player with reputable accolades? Why are you afraid to give Hazel his props? We're not saying that he is the second coming of MJ. What we are saying is exactly what Scott Sutton said, "Hazel has to be one of the most heralded recruits that we've had at this school".

And thanks for providing the link to Hazel's profile. Not sure what you were trying to prove. All it says is that he is not ranked, which is a mute point because he is a post graduate. Show me another post graduate with a high school ranking in their profile and I will concede this argument. Until then why should i take the word of a defector when an correspondent of the site you post (Dave Telep) says different.

Just a few things and I'll be done with this.

He should be ranked very high on the 2004 lists because that is when he graduated from HS. If they didn't rank him post-grad, they would have listed him the year before. As my previous example, Tommie Lidell would show.

The link to his profile show him as a two star recruit. Their stars are based on where they rank them. Five stars is a top-25 recruit. Four stars a top-200 kid. Three stars a top-500 kid etc. He was ranked two stars, a LONG way from a top-25 guy.

My final point is, a player who is 19 should excel with another year against HS players. He should be playing as a freshman in college. If he DIDN'T dominate, I'd have to question his ability as a D-I player.

He seems like a big get, that one recruiting expert obviously really liked. Let's not get carried away and make it seem as though everyone agrees though. Because I found many more sources that liked him pretty well, but not quite as anywhere near even a top-100 guy.

• 3 weeks later...