• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• darrenj

• Phinstd

A junior college transfer AND from another country.....after all the @#%$@#$& we've taken from you guys about our "foreign" guys....how can you permit this.......OH MY !!!!

Seriously, sounds like a good get.....the only way the Mid-Con continues to get better is for our schools to start getting some of these top rated players.....hope he works out..... 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Through 13 games, Shawn King is averaging 17.0 rebounds per game (2nd in district I) and 23.9 points per game (4th in district I)

We are pretty impressed that he's a top 25 JUCO recruit

And with having signed a top 25 HS player last week and having the #1 Oklahoma HS player the past 2 years, we would be fickle not to be impressed with our coaching staff's recruiting.

Impressive collection of recruits coming in. I surely think your recruiting writer a little carried away with the a top-25 HS recruit level on Hazell, he's certainly talented.

ORU is on the rise it appears.

Are you kidding me? Dude that wasn't our recruiting writer saying all that stuff about Hazel. That was Bob freakin Gibbons. The "all-knowing" recruiting analyst that has been around since before Jordan came out of high school. And Dave Telep of Scouts.com said that Hazel would be a TOP 25 high school player, but he is a post graduate so he doesn't count in the rankings system. Two seperate seperate recruiting analyst and his head coach called him one of the best shooters in the country. That has no ORU spin or Tulsa World spin whatsoever. Make no mistake about it, Hazel is a stud.

It looks like the team will actually be deeper next year and yes the prep school player is going to be a very good player for ORU possibly 4 year starter and will really help in the scoring dept. next year. Should be a much more athletic team next year.

Hard to believe we will be more athletic when we are losing Larry Owens, but it might be true. That said, we need to temper our enthusiasm a bit - none of these guys (except Adam Liberty) has played Division I basketball yet. We shall see.

We will upgrade at every position we are graduating players from:

Adam Liberty- PG for JB

Jeremy Hazel- SG for Larry Owens

Shaun King- C for Big Mick

Foreign JUCO- SG for Chris Riouse

Dominique Gaines- SG for Eric Fowlkes

Not to mention are stud returnees: Caleb, Ken, Marchello, and Yemi.

Add our red shirts: Moses, Darren, and Sylvester.

Oh yeah we will be more athletic and deeper. My favorite part is that we will have our LSG-type staple player to help with ball distribution and defense (Adam Liberty).

Concerns: Shaun King has the most question marks to me. We know we will have shooters next year in Ken, Moses, Hazel, JUCO, and Gaines, but what other inside scoring threat will we have besides Caleb. King's coach described him as a major defensive presence for us. That means that he is not offensively inclined right now. I know that he is putting up nice numbers right now, but how will that translate against D-1 talent?

Are you kidding me? Dude that wasn't our recruiting writer saying all that stuff about Hazel. That was Bob freakin Gibbons. The "all-knowing" recruiting analyst that has been around since before Jordan came out of high school. And Dave Telep of Scouts.com said that Hazel would be a TOP 25 high school player, but he is a post graduate so he doesn't count in the rankings system. Two seperate seperate recruiting analyst and his head coach called him one of the best shooters in the country. That has no ORU spin or Tulsa World spin whatsoever. Make no mistake about it, Hazel is a stud.

Ok, that's great and all, but the very article you reference says six of his teammates are rated in the top-25, but he isn't?

If his teammates can be ranked top-25, I can't see why he wouldn't be able to as well. Tommie Lidell went to SLU this year after attending a post graduate school and was listed in their rankings. He also is ranked two stars by scout, which is nowhere near a top-25 kid.

He has no stars at all from rivals.

I'm not syaing that's an end all, be all, because many kids became great and were ranked very few stars, but the top-25 stuff is kind of a reach from what I've seen from everyone but one writer.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a great get though and one I'd be stoked to have come play for my team. Especially based on the comments of a respected recruiting guru.

I never saw the article by Gibbons but he is a very respected scout of high school talent and yes that prep team is loaded. I think they have a game later in the year on ESPN. Don't know much about Liberty except he is supposed to really be able to defend. Should be a better defensive team with the ability to go around 9 to 10 deep. Have not seen Owens very much but looked pretty darn athletic against Maryland last year. I just think overall a more athletic and talented team for next year. Spicer will be a nice surprise for everyone and should have a couple more shooters to help out Tutt.

Are you still planning on being at the ORU/OU game on Dec. 28, darrenj? I think there are several of us who would love a chance to meet you if you are. You'll get a chance to see Larry as well as the rest of the Golden Eagles if you make it up.

I am definetly trying to make it up there for that one. I know it is going to be a tough game for them but hopefully they can shoot well and stay in it and have a chance at the end. They can't do any worse than my Horns did against Duke last week. That was terrible!!I did see Larry last year at the conf finals last year against Oakland. Still cannot believe that guy hit that shot. Marshall has made into a few games for the Mavs this year and they are really high on him. I thought Luke did a nice job on him in that game. He was a tough matchup for everyone. I hope ORU can get healthy for the conference. How did Missouri St look? That is suppose to be Barry's best team so far. Probably a tourney team along with Utah St and Oklahoma. They should be ready for the conference schedule after those teams!!

MSU looked very good. They are what now - 6-0? That's not a fluke. They've got some good players, who are good at the fundamentals, are good shooters, and have good size inside. I suspect they will continue to win, and will probably get Barry into the NCAA tournament for the first time ever.

It'll be interesting to see if success at MSU this season will bring Barry any offers elsewhere. I doubt that he feels any loyalty to MSU or the Springfield community after the heat he's endured there for seven years. He'll be gone in a flash if something better should come along.

Phinstd, please get a handle on your info before you try to test my east coast prep hoops knowledge.

All of the players on The Paterson School roster are not post graduates. A prep team can and almost always will consist of both high school and post graduate players. That is how Hazel could have top 25 high school players on his team, and not be one of them.

Dave Telep of scouts is the only one of the major recruiting sites that ranks post graduates. Rivals only ranks high schoolers.

As much as I'm excited about the top level recruits we have for next year, can we PLEASE save this discussion for April 2006, and focus on the season at hand! To start to compare this year's team to next year's team while we are at the height of our non-conference season is utterly ridiculous! Besides, we need something to talk about next summer!

The greatest determining factor of next season's success will occur in March of THIS season. If we fail to make the NCAA again this year, Ken and Caleb will both enter their senior year with a huge weight on their shoulders, fearing that they might end their collegiate careers without a trip to the Big Dance. That cloud hanging over their heads would be a significant burden to the success of the team, no matter the amount of "upgraded" talent. Yes, the prospects look as good as anytime in my 30 years as an ORU fan, but for now we absolutely, positively need to focus on the "unfinished business"... and that includes the players, coaches... and the fans.

Yes, the prospects look as good as anytime in my 30 years as an ORU fan, but for now we absolutely, positively need to focus on the "unfinished business"

THIRTY YEARS as an ORU fan!!!! Man, you must be OLD, ORUBlue82!!!

... and that includes the players, coaches... and the fans.

I'm SO unprepared to take on any responsibility . . .

BTW, Blue, I owe you an email, and I'll get to it soon.