ORU Lands Junior College Big Man Shawn King

Guest Blevins

Guest Blevins

ORU Lands Junior College Big Man Shawn King

For Immediate Release: November 14, 2005

TULSA?Shawn King, a 6-10, 220-pound center from Carl Albert State College, has signed a National Letter of Intent to play basketball at Oral Roberts University, beginning with the 2006-07 season, ORU head coach Scott Sutton announced today.

King, a native of Bequia, St. Vincent, is ranked among the nation?s Top 25 junior college players according to several recruiting websites. Rivals.com?s Juco Junction lists King as the number 25 junior college players and number six center in the nation. Hoopmasters.com ranks King number 19 among all junior college players.

?It was important for us to sign some size in this recruiting class,? said Sutton. ?We feel like we got one of the best junior college centers ? if not the best ? in the country. He?s similar to (former Golden Eagle and all-time blocked shot leader) Kendrick Moore in that he can really impact the game with shot-blocking ability. And he?s continuing to get better on the offensive end.

?In my 11 years here (including four as an assistant), we haven?t had someone with Shawn?s combination of size, athleticism and overall ability. He?s a great addition.?

King earned first-team Region II honors last season by averaging 11.5 points, 9.6 rebounds and 5.4 blocks per game as CASC reached the regional semifinals. Through four games this season, King is averaging 25.5 points, 12.0 rebounds and 6.2 blocks while shooting 66.7 percent from the field.

?His defensive presence is significant,? said Carl Albert head coach Mike St. John. ?He has the ability to change the game on the defensive end, and his offensive game continues to develop and evolve. He didn?t start playing until he was 17, but his progress has been amazing to watch.?

King chose ORU over Nevada, UTEP, Utah State and Stephen F. Austin.

--ORU?

Oral Roberts 2006-07 Basketball Signees

Dominique Gaines, G, 6-2, 175, Muskogee, Okla. (Muskogee HS)

Jeremy Hazell, G, 6-4, 185, Bronx, N.Y. (The Patterson School)

Shawn King, C, 6-10, 220, Bequia, St. Vincent (Carl Albert State College)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• darrenj

• Phinstd

Guest EagleBackr

The Internet (in general) and message boards (in particular) have sure made recruiting fun. Can you believe us all getting geeked about signees in November that won't even play until next fall? WE HAVEN"T EVEN STARTED THIS SEASON AND I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!! It's good to be a Golden Eagle right now, isn't it? GAME ON!!!!!

Can you believe that we were all GEEKED about this recruit the WEEK before it was even announced by the University??? You're right, message boards are making this process really fun!

As fans we're loving it, but I'm sure Blevins is getting heartburn over these leaks.

Ok, Who is the JUCO guard that is a lock or already has signed ? That should make it interesting on this board. What is your take? :roll:

The Internet (in general) and message boards (in particular) have sure made recruiting fun. Can you believe us all getting geeked about signees in November that won't even play until next fall? WE HAVEN"T EVEN STARTED THIS SEASON AND I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!! It's good to be a Golden Eagle right now, isn't it? GAME ON!!!!!

No caveats about King not averaging 50 points or 30 rebounds per game against the Oompa Loompas found in the Juco ranks?

No caveats, Valpower. We are not making him out to be our "savior" of the season, but think he will definitely contribute immediately with his size.

We are not making him out to be our "savior" of the season, but think he will definitely contribute immediately with his size.

I agree, but perhaps only because he is not playing this year and you are not following one of the most dismal seasons in recent memory. If Kone, filling a critical offensive void in the post, returns us to a Mid-Con championship and a trip to the NCAA Tourney, I'll feel comfortable with the "savior" label.

Dude if he played this year, King would be the hottest thing since sliced bread!!!!! Hahaha. Naw. J/K.

The main difference, Valpower is that King by no means has dominated the Juco ranks offensively. You guys were tripping off the fact that Kone was a NBA prospect (which is fanastic).

The article in the World said King has only played basketball for 7 years, and that his coach said he would be a strong defensive presence. We are so excited because we needed a BIG man and we got one! I don't think it's far fetched to think that he will get better this year also. And then we'll have him for two years!

We are pretty impressed that he's a top 25 JUCO recruit

And with having signed a top 25 HS player last week and having the #1 Oklahoma HS player the past 2 years, we would be fickle not to be impressed with our coaching staff's recruiting.

Guest EagleBackr
No caveats about King not averaging 50 points or 30 rebounds per game against the Oompa Loompas found in the Juco ranks?

Nope, no raving about him being an NBA lottery pick, either. And as far as I know, he hasn't stated that he intends to "pretty much dominate" the Mid-Con, either!

Nope, no raving about him being an NBA lottery pick, either. And as far as I know, he hasn't stated that he intends to "pretty much dominate" the Mid-Con, either!

I'm with ORUMom. It's hard NOT to get excited about the raves of the recruiting analysts. It has not been typical for Mid-Con teams to get recruits that get the kind of attention that King, Kone, and Mahorn get. Enjoy it for all of the Mid-Con and hope that it raises its level of non-conference performance and nets us our first two-bid season in the post-exodus era.

Eaglebackr, stop pretending to be more level-headed by tempering your enthusiasm for your own team's recruits (and not very well, I'll add), while assuring the opponent that their enthusiasm is excessive.

I am always a bit leary about a kid's reputation - whether in high school or junior college. Never sure about the competition they have played against, etc. Who knows how good this kid will be? The answer is that we won't until he plays some games next year against D-1 competition. The thing I am happy about is that we will have a big body to replace Mickey.......

Just Remember that Owens was a Juco and most including myself thought he would be the difference maker. However, Green and Tutt took care of that honor and although Owens is a great addition to our starters, he still has not shown the scoring threat that he was in JC. You tell me if I'm wrong! Yet I am a Larry Owens fan and would like to see him have a breat out year but what I've seen so far says this is not happening. I believe Shawn King can be a big addition to our team and make us better without having to carry our team. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

According to the NJCAA web site, Shawn King is ranked 3rd in scoring in Region 1 at 24.3 points per game through 6 games. He is ranked 6th in rebounding with 12.7 rebounds per game.

I guess I was wrong. It is just possible that King can carry the team! Man, could we use him now! :lol:

It appears that a large number of ranked teams pull in Jucos to fill in gaps on a consistent basis. I would think that landing a top 25 recruit to the Mid-Con is really exciting. What am I missing?

Updated stats through 11 games:

Shawn King is averaging 24.6 points per game (ranked 3rd in juco District I). He is averaging 13.2 rebounds per game (ranked 2nd in juco District I)

NJCAA Link:

http://www.njcaa.org/sports.cfm?menu=3&sid=4&stat_type=i&gender=m&divid=1&slid=2&seasonselect=316&report_id=818&requesttimeout=500