Break up the Summit!!!

TrueBlue82

Good article from the Fargo Forum regarding Summit League non-conference scheduling...

Summit League men’s basketball teams start playing each other this week. That may be a good thing considering how tough the nonconference season has been to them so far this season.

While only two teams have winning records, Summit teams continue to struggle – as expected – against high-major competition. They have a 1-16 record against the big boys.

Expect more of the same in years to come.

By 2012, The Summit League will allow schools to schedule only one non-Division I team instead of the current two. Already, a number of Summit teams are beefing up their nonconference schedules – all with the hopes of improving their standing in the RPI rankings.

While not all Summit coaches agree that simply playing ranked teams improves the RPI, they all agree on the ultimate goal:

earning a higher seed for the NCAA tournament and possibly getting a second team into the Big Dance.

“That’s where this conference needs to go … we need to start having success in the NCAA tournament,” said Oral Roberts head coach Scott Sutton. “We need to win a game or two, but that won’t happen if we keep getting the No. 16 seed.”

Sutton is right. Since the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, a 16 seed has never beaten a 1 seed. And rarely has a 15 or 14 seed posted first-round wins...... http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... up/Sports/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• SDSUJacks

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

Great find, FargoBison - it's nice to see a well-written excellent article on the Summit.

I also chuckled when I read Kampe's following quote:

“I’ve been a 16 seed in the tournament and you don’t want that,” said Oakland head coach Greg Kampe, whose 2005 team lost 95-68 to eventual champion North Carolina. “You want a chance to win a game. The only way to do that is to be a 12 or 13 seed.”

Grizz Fans, your Coach has it right - he doesn't count the play-in game as a NCAA win!

Maybe Kampe and Oakland will be a 12 or 13 seed this year.....in the CBI tournament..... :D:P;)

ORU did our job last night....can't say the same tonight for Oakland as they got hammered at #7 Michigan St. by 31.....it was probably not that close after the Spartans led by 20+ at half....IPFW got edged by 1 at Toledo..... |(

Granted, Oakland has played an incredibly tough schedule this year, but is anyone else at least a bit surprised they keep getting boat-raced??

I'm extremely surprised by that. I figured that even if they'd get beat by these teams they're playing that the game would be competitive. I don't want to jump them too bad though as UL next week might be rough.

I just figured that Oakland's style lends itself to some games like this, like how they lost to Centenary last year... and did anyone catch the 'Ville getting torched at home to Charlotte the other night??

My one concern about Oakland is that they have had some slow starting teams in the past that finished very strong - like last season - they lost five of their first eight games, and lost eleven of their first 24, then won nine straight before losing in the Summit League championship.

We could be seeing a team that is just staying true to form . . . :?:

My one concern about Oakland is that they have had some slow starting teams in the past that finished very strong - like last season - they lost five of their first eight games, and lost eleven of their first 24, then won nine straight before losing in the Summit League championship.

We could be seeing a team that is just staying true to form . . . :?:

It's how they are losing that is surprising to me - they're not even competing in these games.

Here are some of Oakland coach Greg Kampe's quotes following last night's loss:

"We're all embarrassed. I feel badly for them because they are embarrassed. Two years ago we came in here and lost by four points and we competed and played. Johnathon Jones is a great basketball player, he really is. You probably wouldn't know that if you walked in and that was the first time you've ever seen those guys play..."

"Coach Izzo said to me after the game, `We haven't shot like that all year.' We had talked about each other's teams before the game and we both had struggled to shoot the ball. He was almost apologetic. I told him, `You know, you probably haven't been open like that all year.' That probably had a lot to do with it. They were really open. I might have been able to make a shot, and I (can't) shoot very well..."

"I think the play that typified the whole game is when we worked real hard on offense and had maybe the fourth possession of the second half when we got Benson the ball and he laid it in and then [Delvon] Roe dunked on the other end in like two seconds. We didn't get back. We didn't compete. How do you lay it in at one end and they dunk it at the other end? I bet if you look at it, it's less than four seconds. So we made some shots in the second half, we still didn't compete. How many open dunks did they get? I wasn't a great player, but I know that if a guy dunked on me 45 times in a row, the next time he went in there he'd probably be picking himself up off the ground, but we were just in awe of what was going on. It's very disappointing from my standpoint..".

"With Kansas at that arena, where they've won 3 million in a row, it was 71-58 or something with five minutes to go in the game and then the floodgates opened up. At Memphis, it was an eight point game with 15 or 16 minutes left to go in the game. When things go wrong for us, we don't handle that very well. That's discouraging from a coach's standpoint. We do not handle teams like this very well. Tonight, it was from the start. We weren't very good and we got what we deserved.."

"With Kansas at that arena, where they've won 3 million in a row, it was 71-58 or something with five minutes to go in the game and then the floodgates opened up. At Memphis, it was an eight point game with 15 or 16 minutes left to go in the game. When things go wrong for us, we don't handle that very well. That's discouraging from a coach's standpoint. We do not handle teams like this very well. Tonight, it was from the start. We weren't very good and we got what we deserved.."

I could have sworn that some mid-major beat Kansas at home recently, but I'm really not sure.

So we made some shots in the second half, we still didn't compete. How many open dunks did they get? I wasn't a great player, but I know that if a guy dunked on me 45 times in a row, the next time he went in there he'd probably be picking himself up off the ground, but we were just in awe of what was going on. It's very disappointing from my standpoint..".

I know Kampe's a great guy, and I know he's very frustrated, but that's dangerously close to telling your players (through the media) that they need to flagrantly foul the next guy that tries to dunk. Dangerous and irresponsible. I hope they get that out of the way before we play them - we can't afford to have Ford taken out and hurt.

I like Coach Kampe, but I bet his sideline antics were something to behold during that game, at least early on.

I know Kampe's a great guy, and I know he's very frustrated, but that's dangerously close to telling your players (through the media) that they need to flagrantly foul the next guy that tries to dunk. Dangerous and irresponsible. I hope they get that out of the way before we play them - we can't afford to have Ford taken out and hurt.

Yeah, wonder how he would react if we submarined Benson after a couple of dunks at the Mabee Center...

He probably did not mean it the way it came out, but that is pretty irresponsible for a head coach to say. Now if anything happens during the season, opponents could point back to this quote.

He probably did not mean it the way it came out, but that is pretty irresponsible for a head coach to say. Now if anything happens during the season, opponents could point back to this quote.

We'll be watching for the first sign of dirty play |(:?::geek::o !!!

Why is it that Kampe always seems to make comments like this after bad losses? After a third 30+ loss, if you're still calling out players publicly for not competing, not being tough and not guarding guys, that's not a great sign. It's not like this is a young team...

I guess maybe that's Kampe's way of getting guy's attention, because they will be ready come conference time, but it couldn't hurt to wear out some guys in practice.

TheEagleman knows that the Grizz are struggling but thinks Oakland has too much talent not to be a major factor once the Summit season gets into full swing...expect them to still be in the top 3.....it won't be easy going up against them especially after playing such a tough non conference schedule...both ORU and Oakland should be battle tested by 12/31..... ;)

Impressive win for Oakland today vs. Wisc-GB....it's about time.... :P