Re: Summit League Tournament

Bogus Smith

We should not take Justin Kraft too lightly.  When he pitched against us in April, he was very impressive.  He will be the best pitcher we'll face this weekend.  Neither SUU or SDSU can afford to pitch their #2 pitcher and take the chance of dropping to the loser's bracket; therefore, we won't see another pitcher like Kraft this weekend.

Good pitching strategy info.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Bogus Smith

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

If I'm Justin Kraft, tonights game is a grudge match!  Justin will be bringing his A game. If he can muster this mindset, he'll be tough!

However, we know how he's going to pitch to us and that may work to our advantage.  Sully is also motivated (highly motivated). "If" I played the Pick 3, I think I would play the number 250 tonight. Why?  Well, currently Sully's career win loss total is:  20-5.  Sully currently has 250 career strikeouts.  One more win tonight and Walton has 250 wins!  We are playing at Home!  ADVANTAGE - GOLDEN EAGLES!

By the way guys!  If you haven't guessed it yet (I'm sure many have) Jerry's my son!  I'm proud of him!

Irish333

You should be proud of your son, Irish!....Sully has had a great career at ORU and hopefully tonight he gets his 21st win!....Go Blue!..... :-)

Irish, I figured you were a family member - just didn't know which one.  Jerry is a great kid.  Don't know him well, but the few times that I have had the chance to interact with him, he has been a fine representative of the Sullivan family tree!!  We're truly glad to have him on our side.

Jerry has a tough assignment tonight.  He could pitch lights out - 12 Ks, 2 hits, 1 run - and still lose tonight.  Our bats have to show up and provide at least 3 runs tonight.  CC is going to be wanting a piece of us (as are all of the teams this weekend) and Justin Kraft has the tools to make that happen.  All it is going to take on either side is to leave a hanging curveball up high, have too many walks or an occassional error or two by the fielders to have this game go to one side or the other.

I'm looking forward to watching the challenge tonight.  If all goes to plan, we could be out of the ball park in 2-1/2 hours with a 2-1 win!!  :-D

Don't get in too big of a rush tonight - I'm hoping I can make it over for an inning or two after Broken Arrow graduation.  I figure it will be over around 9-9:30.

Can you slow the game down for me, Sully?

Don't get in too big of a rush tonight - I'm hoping I can make it over for an inning or two after Broken Arrow graduation.  I figure it will be over around 9-9:30.

Can you slow the game down for me, Sully?

Only 1000 graduates - maybe you can leave after the H's are called.  While you're cheering for your son you can cheer for our niece, Natalie Hundley.  I would like to come over and watch a part of it, but it gets SO crowded and you have to get there way early just to get a seat.

I hope that you will be getting score updates on your phone.  Don't let your wife catch you though.  :)

Enjoy for us!

Mr. Smith!

Couldn't agree with you more.  Justin Kraft is the real deal.  Justin Kraft may have a lot of K's this year, but IMHO he is not a true power pitcher.  He wins with sequence and location command.  The way to beat Justin is to work the counts early in the game to increase his pitch count high enough to get him out of the game in the 5th or 6th inning.  Jerry on the other hand is a true power pitcher, based on size, athletic ability and free throwing motion.  In order the beat Jerry, you have to get to him early. He gets stronger as the game progresses. The pitch count is not a factor with this pitching staff.  Rob Walton has masterfully conditioned his staff to pitch deep into the game with high pitch counts.  I had to giggle a bit with the message board chatter about the high pitch counts.  Arm strength is gained by pitching.  Jim Kaat was a big believer in saying, "the more you throw, the stronger you get".  If these guys were in the Major Leagues, they would be just coming out of extended Spring Training arm conditioning. The 100 pitch theory is based upon an 11 pitch count per inning for 9 innings.  Change that to 15 pitches per inning and your at 125 per inning (more indicative of college level play)  Power pitchers will always throw more pitches, WITH more K's.  I can tell you this!  JERRY IS PUMPED!  Go Eagles! You gotta love the Mustashe Madness!

Thanks for the explanation, Irish....still, it seems like after 130+ pitches it would be wise to go with a fresh arm from the pen....but, Coach Walton is the expert here...... :-P

Seriously, this has gotta stop.

I mean, I know you guys mean well - or at least, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt - but, c'mon:  enough already!!

Banner headlines from your hometown newspaper trumpeting your team?

Chamber of Commerce drivel regarding the average annual snowfall?  ("Frankly, travelers, not as much as you might think!")

Ad nauseum listings of all five hundred of your non-Division 1 championships?

Look, it's simple, guys:  if anyone truly "wanted to know more about your team", I think they know by now where to find the Argus Leader website, along with your school's athletic site, the Sioux Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau site, the listing for "South Dakota" on Wikipedia, etc.

Why do you feel so compelled to parade around ORU's front lawn in your high school color blue-and-yellow PJ's??

What if someone from ORU posted Tulsa World articles and 20-year-old past achievements on your message board in the somewhat-suspect interest of "educating" Jackrabbit nation?

Might you consider such, at the least, a little patronizing; and at it's worst, just downright goofy?  :wink:

So you don't want the article of the young SDSU slugger from Canada who turned down many MVC schools for SDSU and has 19 homers on the year?  Let me know if you change your mind, I'll be on the front lawn in my yellow and blue boxers!  :lol:

Jerry has a tough assignment tonight.  He could pitch lights out - 12 Ks, 2 hits, 1 run - and still lose tonight. 

This is about as close of a prediction that I have ever made!!  1 run, 1 hit and 10 Ks in tonight's game.  He was fun to watch.  Fortunately I didn't predict the loss correctly!  :-D 

Just had to give myself a verbal cheer on this since I can't give one to myself!!  :-D