• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Bogus Smith

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

Proof that miracles still happen!  :wink:  SDSU wins three of four from Southern Utah and CC splits with Oakland, allowing the Jackrabbits to jump over Centenary to claim the third seed.  So, it will be ORU against the Gents in the first round.  SDSU has been rock-solid as of late, so it may be best to avoid them in the first round, but Centenary has some front-line pitching that has faced some stiff competition this season.  Ironic that SUU earned the second seed primarily because their series with ORU was washed out by rain....

Yes, miracles still do happen (in my humble opinion).

Trivia question of the night:  Who is the only team to beat ORU in a Mid-Con/Summit League baseball Tournament game?  What game in the Tournament was it (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th)?  What member city was the Tournament held in that year?  (hint:  the team is in this year's Tournament).

Just a guess but TheEagleman thinks it was SUU and about 10 years ago right at JLJ.....but ORU came back and won from the losers bracket.... :?

Just a guess but TheEagleman thinks it was SUU and about 10 years ago right at JLJ.....but ORU came back and won from the losers bracket.... :?

I thought you were right on everything but the year, Eagleman - I didn't think it had been that far back - so I broke out a media guide and found you were right, it was in 2000, almost ten years ago.

My, how time flies :| . . . 

I knew it was a while back and happened in Tulsa...also seem to recall that the loss must have woke ORU up because they won the rest of their games without much of a tussle....if i recall correctly, SUU didn't even make it to the final right?...didn't we beat somebody else twice on the final day?.... :|

I'm really hoping that my Jackrabbits get to play your team twice in this tournament.  We came into this league knowing that we have to play the best in order to make progress toward becoming the best.  I hope that is what we get to do.

Good luck in the tournament.  I wish I could be there.

I'm really hoping that my Jackrabbits get to play your team twice in this tournament.  We came into this league knowing that we have to play the best in order to make progress toward becoming the best.  I hope that is what we get to do.

Good luck in the tournament.  I wish I could be there.

I'm sure that SUU is not very happy that they have to play you in the first game Thursday.  They came into your series last weekend with the hopes of possibly winning the League (with a little help from WIU) and they leave Brookings dropping three and providing a huge boost in confidence to their next opponent (SDSU as the #3 seed).

It's very possible that SDSU will be our second and last round opponents this coming weekend.  You had us down in a couple of the games when you were in Tulsa last month and we were fortunate to come back....sometimes that kind of luck runs out - even on a good day.  :|

I knew it was a while back and happened in Tulsa...also seem to recall that the loss must have woke ORU up because they won the rest of their games without much of a tussle....if i recall correctly, SUU didn't even make it to the final right?...didn't we beat somebody else twice on the final day?.... :|

Not quite right on that, eagleman, but it was an interesting rest-of-the-tournament nonetheless.  After beating Valpo(!!) in the first round, then losing their second round game 1-6 to SUU, the following day the Eagles beat Youngstown state 26-2 and Oakland 20-1.  I think the Thunderbirds awoke the sleeping giant! 

In the Championship game the Eagles beat Southern Utah 8-4, and played in the regional in Norman.

Tonight's trivia question leading up to the Summit League Post-Season Tournament....

The Golden Eagles have been in a conference for a total of nineteen (19) seasons between the Midwestern Cities Conference, Mid-Continent Conference and Summit League.  How many times in those 19 seasons did the Golden Eagles NOT win their Conference Championship??

TheEagleman will guess........5..... :?

This thread has gone on too long unanswered... but I believe the correct answer is ONCE! :-o  If I'm not mistaken, 25 years ago in 1984 was the last time ORU lost a conference championship.  In that year, we advanced to the championship by defeating Oklahoma City (OCU) in the semis, but the Chiefs (now Stars) came back to beat the Titans (now Eagles) twice in a row to claim the championship.  A pretty amazing accomplishment for a very dominant program.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Bogus.  I had forgotten that the Midwestern City Conference included Notre Dame as an affiliate member for baseball.  Yes, ORU was in the same conference as the Irish - and usually beat them soundly!

Now, we just need to take care of business this weekend and make the streak 15 straight (3 MCC, 12 Mid-Con/Summit) conference titles.

The answer is never!!  We have never lost a regular season championiship in baseball in the history of the school.  There's probably a record there somewhere....  :-D

The answer is never!!  We have never lost a regular season championiship in baseball in the history of the school.  There's probably a record there somewhere....  :-D

So what you are saying is that you are due!  :wink:  :lol:

Just kidding Eagles, don't get your undies in a knot.  Best of luck you certainly have history on your side. 

You're right, Bogus - 19 for 19 in regular season conference titles, and 17 for 18 in conference tournaments, with one more this weekend.

Very impressive!

You're right, Bogus - 19 for 19 in regular season conference titles, and 17 for 18 in conference tournaments, with one more this weekend.

Very impressive!

You may remember this JB...the only time that ORU has not won a conference post-season tournament happened 25 years to the day.  May 20, 1984, ORU had to lose twice to Oklahoma City University in the MCC Conference double elimination tournament to keep from advancing to the NCAA Tournament.  The first game was pretty bad, with ORU losing 9-6, but the second game was a barn burner and eventually the Chiefs (as they were known in the day) sqeaked out a 10-9 victory over the Titans to tag us with our one and only baseball conference post-season championship loss - EVER.  It was a sad day indeed for those of us who were used to watching college baseball into June.  :cry:

...and now you know.....the rest of the story!!

TheEagleman would be very surprised if ORU loses in round 1 tomorrow night vs. Centenary....I know they have a good #1 starter and expect a good contest...but we should outlast them....in Game 1, I expect a surprise with SDSU topping SUU....this will set up ORU and SDSU on Friday and we'll beat them, too.....Centenary should eliminate SUU in the nightcap setting up an elimination game Friday night between the Gents and Jacks....for the right to get eliminated by the good guys on Saturday..... :-D

We should not take Justin Kraft too lightly.  When he pitched against us in April, he was very impressive.  He will be the best pitcher we'll face this weekend.  Neither SUU or SDSU can afford to pitch their #2 pitcher and take the chance of dropping to the loser's bracket; therefore, we won't see another pitcher like Kraft this weekend.

Yes, Kraft is a very good pitcher for Centenary...gave us a real tussle the last time we faced him....TheEagleman agrees that ORU has to bring our A game against him in Game 1.... :-P