Re: Summit League Tournament

Bogus Smith

The Summit League Tournament is starting to shape up now and looks to be:

#1 - Oral Roberts

#2 - Southern Utah

#3 - Centenary

#4 - South Dakota State

NDSU is three games out in the loss column from making it from fifth to fourth seed, so it will be miraculous if this seeding changes before May 21.  It would be a major upset if we don't win the Summit League Tournament, but I really think that there is going to be some good baseball played during the Tournament that will be worthy of watching.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Bogus Smith

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

Big weekend coming up for the Jackrabbits.  With a magic number of 1 for the Summit League Tournament, we have SUU at home for 4 games.  We have been red hot in the Summit, winning 11 of 12.  Our young team is coming together at the right time.

We still have hopes of a #3 seed as we are tied with Centenary in the wins colum and have one more in the loss colum.  Either way I think our team is fired up about coming down to Tulsa for the Tournament.

Looking forward to to the Jackrabbits being in town, 89rabbit.  Are you coming down for the tournament?

TheEagleman agrees that this years tournament could be the most competive in several years....TheEagleman seems to recall that ORU lost a first round game a few years back and had to win from the losers bracket....perhaps a repeat this year?...hope not but Centenary and SUU are capable of pulling upsets and as 89rabbit pointed out, SDSU is very hot....it will be interesting to see what happens this week between the Jacks and SUU.....looks like ORU will need to just get a split this weekend to clinch the #1 seed but frankly, anything less than 3 of 4 will be disappointing up at WIU......we still have Arkansas and Dallas Baptist as tune ups before the Summit also....should be an exciting 2 weeks!....Go Blue!.... :-)

TheEagleman agrees that this years tournament could be the most competive in several years....TheEagleman seems to recall that ORU lost a first round game a few years back and had to win from the losers bracket....perhaps a repeat this year?...hope not but Centenary and SUU are capable of pulling upsets and as 89rabbit pointed out, SDSU is very hot....it will be interesting to see what happens this week between the Jacks and SUU.....looks like ORU will need to just get a split this weekend to clinch the #1 seed but frankly, anything less than 3 of 4 will be disappointing up at WIU......we still have Arkansas and Dallas Baptist as tune ups before the Summit also....should be an exciting 2 weeks!....Go Blue!.... :-)

There has only been one time (and one loss) that ORU has ever had to endure and come from behind in the Mid-Con/Summit League Tournaments.  In that particular year, it made the Tournament interesting and required a second game on Saturday for the only time this decade.

Although this year's Tournament should be more competitive, after the first game, it should be downhill from there for the good guys.  The #4 seed (SDSU?) will throw their stud against Sully and it will be a single-digit game.  After that, the depth of the pitching staffs amongst SL teams seem to dwindle and ORU should prevail.  I still think it will be three-and-in for the good guys.

Yeah, that first game should be the key...and ORU just shouldn't lose to SDSU on the home turf.....3 and out would be just fine and then on to the dance.... 8-)

ORU's conference tournament record is one of the most mind-boggling marks in the history of sport. We shouldn't be 36-1. We shouldn't have 27 consecutive conference tournament victories.

It is truly amazing!

Looking forward to to the Jackrabbits being in town, 89rabbit.  Are you coming down for the tournament?

Can't I will be out of town at meetings.

ORU's success in baseball is remarkable given all of the things that can (and usually do) go wrong. As other have stated, all kinds of issues (injuries, etc) can come up that would cause a team to lose a game here or there - even when they outmatch their opponents. It is a testament to our coaches and players to maintain discipline and focus on the goal of winning the conference championship and tournament.

Your record is impressive and is a testament to the outstanding nature of your program.  This is the first year in the last 5 or 6 that I didn't get a chance to see the Eagles play in person (I have seen you play Wichita State a number of times).  Once again you will be the overwhelming favorite and I agree that your depth is one of the big reasons why.

With all that said, I of course will be pulling for my Rabbits, but will still wish you the best of luck. 

Your record is impressive and is a testament to the outstanding nature of your program.  This is the first year in the last 5 or 6 that I didn't get a chance to see the Eagles play in person (I have seen you play Wichita State a number of times).  Once again you will be the overwhelming favorite and I agree that your depth is one of the big reasons why.

With all that said, I of course will be pulling for my Rabbits, but will still wish you the best of luck. 

Do you live in Wichita, 89rabbit?

Do you live in Wichita, 89rabbit?

I spent 16 years in the Kansas City Metro and did a lot of business in Wichta (I was there about 4 days a month).  I have also been to Tulsa on business a time or two.  I moved back home to Brookings, SD in the fall of 2007.

For those who want to know more about our team, here is a story from Today's Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090514/SPORTS0202/905140333/1002/sports

Amid challenges, SDSU baseball coach Price finds calling

terry vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • May 14, 2009

Ritchie Price is just 24 years old. But he'll be hard pressed to have a more unique season for the rest of his career.

For starters, he is merely the interim baseball coach at South Dakota State, a temporary title that can undermine authority in the eyes of current players and potential recruits.

What's more, the team lost one of its top starting pitchers (Jared Koch) and its closer (Kirby Morsching) because of injury. Half of the regular position players had no NCAA Division I experience prior to this spring. The Jackrabbits also played all of their first 27 games on the road and mostly against quality programs, winning just five.

Yet, they are 16-5 since and 14-9 in Summit League play. They need just one win in a four game home series against Southern Utah (25-19, 14-4) this week to clinch a spot in the four-team conference tournament in their first year of eligibility.  .  .  .  (read more)

Seriously, this has gotta stop.

I mean, I know you guys mean well - or at least, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt - but, c'mon:  enough already!!

Banner headlines from your hometown newspaper trumpeting your team?

Chamber of Commerce drivel regarding the average annual snowfall?  ("Frankly, travelers, not as much as you might think!")

Ad nauseum listings of all five hundred of your non-Division 1 championships?

Look, it's simple, guys:  if anyone truly "wanted to know more about your team", I think they know by now where to find the Argus Leader website, along with your school's athletic site, the Sioux Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau site, the listing for "South Dakota" on Wikipedia, etc.

Why do you feel so compelled to parade around ORU's front lawn in your high school color blue-and-yellow PJ's??

What if someone from ORU posted Tulsa World articles and 20-year-old past achievements on your message board in the somewhat-suspect interest of "educating" Jackrabbit nation?

Might you consider such, at the least, a little patronizing; and at it's worst, just downright goofy?  :wink:

Seriously, this has gotta stop.

I mean, I know you guys mean well - or at least, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt - but, c'mon:  enough already!!

Banner headlines from your hometown newspaper trumpeting your team?

Chamber of Commerce drivel regarding the average annual snowfall?  ("Frankly, travelers, not as much as you might think!")

Ad nauseum listings of all five hundred of your non-Division 1 championships?

Look, it's simple, guys:  if anyone truly "wanted to know more about your team", I think they know by now where to find the Argus Leader website, along with your school's athletic site, the Sioux Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau site, the listing for "South Dakota" on Wikipedia, etc.

Why do you feel so compelled to parade around ORU's front lawn in your high school color blue-and-yellow PJ's??

What if someone from ORU posted Tulsa World articles and 20-year-old past achievements on your message board in the somewhat-suspect interest of "educating" Jackrabbit nation?

Might you consider such, at the least, a little patronizing; and at it's worst, just downright goofy?  :wink:

So much for southern hospitality.  :roll:

Congratulations on your promotion to Administrator/owner of this board.  What happened to ORUTerry?  :wink:

So much for southern hospitality.  :roll:

Congratulations on your promotion to Administrator/owner of this board.  What happened to ORUTerry?  :wink:

Go back and read my post - show me one spot where I say I'm speaking for ANYONE other than me.

Just my opinion; take it or leave it.

Most ORU posters are really nice people.

I'm not one of them.

Which is why I will never replace ORUTerry or tmh8286 as an administrator on this board!  :lol:

I love it so.............This is so pathetic that TheEagleman almost feels compelled to stand up for this guy.....naaaaaaah...... :-D

The Summit League Tournament is starting to shape up now and looks to be:

#1 - Oral Roberts

#2 - Southern Utah

#3 - Centenary

#4 - South Dakota State

NDSU is three games out in the loss column from making it from fifth to fourth seed, so it will be miraculous if this seeding changes before May 21.  It would be a major upset if we don't win the Summit League Tournament, but I really think that there is going to be some good baseball played during the Tournament that will be worthy of watching.

Proof that miracles still happen!  :wink:  SDSU wins three of four from Southern Utah and CC splits with Oakland, allowing the Jackrabbits to jump over Centenary to claim the third seed.  So, it will be ORU against the Gents in the first round.  SDSU has been rock-solid as of late, so it may be best to avoid them in the first round, but Centenary has some front-line pitching that has faced some stiff competition this season.  Ironic that SUU earned the second seed primarily because their series with ORU was washed out by rain....