University of South Dakota to Join the Summit League in 2011

89rabbit

According to the Sun Belt web site, the league has 13 basketball schools in two divisions. Denver is in the West Division (7 teams) that include:

University of LA-Monroe

University of LA-Lafayette

New Orleans

North Texas

UALR

Arkansas State

Denver is off the beaten path .... ala Southern Utah. I can see why the league is working to get rid of them. Even if they had the requisite sports. They just don't fit that league.

FYI:  Florida International (East Division) named Isaiah Thomas as their coach this week.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FargoBison

• Old Titan

• s2c

• Hammersmith

Ultimately, this will make the Summit stronger.  I wonder if we'll find the Coyotes on our schedules anytime sooner than 2011-12 in a non-conference matchup.

NDSU, SDSU, and WIU play football in the MVC, which is one of the top conferences in the FCS/ I-AA. If the Summit asked these schools to leave the MVC it would get ugly, and I doubt Douple wants anything to do with that mess. NDSU is probably the only school that has an interest in FBS/I-A football.

I think you are right about what is really driving this and that is schools with poor travel and no home. It also seems pretty clear the Summit wants to move to a 12 team league with two divisions. I guess now the question remains is what school gets to be #12.

At the risk of getting dinged for talking about Dakota things, SDSU also has some long range interest in FBS.

Have you guys taken a look at Tyrus McGee at all?  He's a little guard out Stringtown, sounds kind of like Dante Swanson.  It was between TU and Mo State, but it looks like TU backed off.  I think it's a shame and hope we pull someone else good in; McGee is interesting and I'd hate for any good OK players to head to Springfield.

seen mcgee play a few times, I like his game...will be interested to see where he signs

Great, we now get to travel to the Great White North, Land of the Red River that floods, and baseball games that are snowed out, twice a year instead of once.  The idea of UND coming into the league is ok, only in the sense that I LOVEtheir mascot.  The Fighting Sioux is cool.  Now they are going to change that.  UGH!  Do I dare start the MVC discussion again.  Don't do it.

Great, we now get to travel to the Great White North, Land of the Red River that floods, and baseball games that are snowed out, twice a year instead of once.  The idea of UND coming into the league is ok, only in the sense that I LOVEtheir mascot.  The Fighting Sioux is cool.  Now they are going to change that.  UGH!  Do I dare start the MVC discussion again.  Don't do it.

:-D :-D :-D

The Univ of Denver would be an obvious choice for me as it would give me a chance to regularly see ORU play in Denver.  Denver's Athletic program consists of a unique blend of sports...see breakdown below.  From a facilities standpoint, I'd be willing to bet that they would have the best in the Summit.  The school has a ton of money coming from the Cable industry and all of their facilities are relatively new or in the process of getting a facelift.  Logistically, DU would be easy to get to and cheap for all schools in the Summit...and for any college athlete, the altitude is a total non-factor...

Men's Sports (only 5 are offered in the Summit)

1.) Basketball - average team that struggles big time with attendance - would probably compete well in the Summit

2.) Golf

3.) Soccer - very strong program

4.) Tennis - good program

5.) Swimming & Diving

6.) Hockey - national powerhouse that is their money sport

7.) Lacrosse - always ranked in the Top 20 and building an impressive reputation against the traditional east-coast powerhouses

8.) Skiing

Women's Sports

1.) Basketball

2.) Golf

3.) Gymnastics

4.) Soccer

5.) Lacrosse

6.) Skiing

7.) Swimming & Diving

8.) Tennis

9.) Volleyball

The Univ of Denver would be an obvious choice for me as it would give me a chance to regularly see ORU play in Denver.  Denver's Athletic program consists of a unique blend of sports...see breakdown below.  From a facilities standpoint, I'd be willing to bet that they would have the best in the Summit.  The school has a ton of money coming from the Cable industry and all of their facilities are relatively new or in the process of getting a facelift.  Logistically, DU would be easy to get to and cheap for all schools in the Summit...and for any college athlete, the altitude is a total non-factor...

Women's Sports

1.) Basketball

2.) Golf

3.) Gymnastics

4.) Soccer

5.) Lacrosse

6.) Skiing

7.) Swimming & Diving

8.) Tennis

9.) Volleyball

Denver also has women's soccer, they were an NCAA qualifer

Denver also has women's soccer, they were an NCAA qualifer

Not to be confused with #4 on the list above, I suppose?  :-P

P.S.  Better come up with a new footnote for your posts there, BHM - the clock is ticking...

USD is great as a new member only because it signals that perhaps UND will be the next team in. I am speaking so purely selfishly here that I am just about ashamed of myself. If UND joins, I am only 1 and a half to 2 hours away from an authentic ORU basketball game! I am tickled pink! Bring on the snow, floods and what-not. We can deal with it. But by all means, give me an ORU basketball game! Woo-hoo! (How many chickens are in those eggs?)

P.S.  Better come up with a new footnote for your posts there, BHM - the clock is ticking...

I still got four years to claim it :-P At least until they fully certify that school south of here is Division I compliant:-D

don't forget about Oklahoma City University. aren't they still moving back up?

They announced their intentions to do so a couple of years ago, but around that same time the NCAA instituted a moratorium on D-1 expansion for teams that weren't already somewhat further along in the process (such as USD and UND). 

It could be several years - if at all - that OKC reaches the point where they are eligible for a D-1 conference such as the Summit League.

But what an addition that would be for ORU - a natural rival, easy travel for fans, a great city for the conference to host tournaments, etc.  Wouldn't be good for our recruiting in that area, though...

They announced their intentions to do so a couple of years ago, but around that same time the NCAA instituted a moratorium on D-1 expansion for teams that weren't already somewhat further along in the process (such as USD and UND). 

It could be several years - if at all - that OKC reaches the point where they are eligible for a D-1 conference such as the Summit League.

But what an addition that would be for ORU - a natural rival, easy travel for fans, a great city for the conference to host tournaments, etc.  Wouldn't be good for our recruiting in that area, though...

When did OCU become the "Stars"?  Weren't they originally some Native American nickname?

• 4 weeks later...

UND dropped their nickname today, seems like the driving force was the Summit....

Grant Shaft, a board member who heads a fact-finding committee on the issue, recommended Aug. 1. He said the earlier the university to applies to enter the Summit League athletic conference the better because the league has one more slot open and is looking at six other universities.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/240560/

UND dropped their nickname today, seems like the driving force was the Summit....

I think USD getting accepted so quick was a huge wakeup.  Not to mention the fact that the Summit said there were 5 other teams who applied.  Anyone have a guess who those were?  Chi-State?  Utah Valley St?  UT-Pan Am?  Houston Baptist? 

The (likely) addition of UND would put the Summit at 12.  I think splitting the teams up 6 and 6 (East and West or North and South) would be a great idea, for most schools.

West:

SDSU

NDSU

USD

UND

SUU

UMKC

East:

ORU

Cent

WIU

Oak

IUPUI

IPFW

All of the West opponents, save for SUU, would be bus trips for the Dakota schools.  And the "heartland" schools (WIU, Oak, IUPUI, IPFW) would also beneit geographically speaking.  This however would be a disadvantage for ORU and Cent, who would have the longest trips of all teams.  It would also mean the Dakota schools only have to do the ORU-Cent trip every other year.  Maybe swap UMKC and Cent to even out travel a bit?