ORU-Western Illinois game thread

ron

Where did you find this quote, Eli?  I can't seem to locate it anywhere.  Sounds like a little disrespect for ORU - it's pretty unusual to hear coaches coming out so blatantly dissing another team, particularly one that's beaten them twice!  Maybe he was just blowing off a little steam.

Can you give us a link?

LOL...I think thats a quote from another sport...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ron

• bballmangc

• Mike Minyard

• jmg1984

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL...I think thats a quote from another sport...

Pretty sure it was Dennis Green when he was coaching the Vikings

I'm upset that there weren't more students there, but that's a problem of society in general.  I am very mad that a double booking happened and then it was directly marketed against the game. 

That Sucks royally and as was mentioned earlier, makes those people less like Christ, not more.

:x :x :x

I agree 100%.  Students always complain about nothing to do on campus.  Well every athletic team has at least 10 home events per season that are events ON CAMPUS that we could plug.  It amazes me that the student association makes no attempt to promote athletic events, but apparently fliers can be made to promote something in Christ Chapel.  Evidently someone wanted to promote the event and got the fliers out but apparently that same someone isn't interested in putting fliers out for an ORU basketball game.  The basketball games should be the "thing to do" on campus on Thursday and Saturday nights...in my opinion

There should be some scheduling coordination between events on campus so things don't get double booked on the same night.  Something could have been moved to friday night (tonight) maybe?

The basketball schedule has been out for how long?  It's pretty simple to see what happened last night.  SA or some group on campus decided to schedule against athletics.  A small campus like us must have all organizations working together.  It's just pitiful.  I'm ashamed as an alum that there is NOT more unity on campus.

What if they just did the concert immediately after the basketball game on the Mabee Center floor or still over at Christ Chapel.  That way the two events could have complimented each other.

I can promise you that there are going to be some people that are bitter of what happened last night, and this thing is far from being fixed.  Dr. Rutland is going to have to be the person that sets the rules.

The AC was open last night!  WE were dead, The track team was on the road to AMES.  DO we chastize them for going out?  NO WAY.  The AC is always open, even in snow and ice.  I had to work there, does this make me a lesser fan, no I turned in on 1550 and listened to the game as I did my duties.  So we had a schedualing quirk, The last home game we had good attendance, remember HOF night?  :? I would back off and let this ride and push homecoming. They will come!

Where did you find this quote, Eli?  I can't seem to locate it anywhere.  Sounds like a little disrespect for ORU - it's pretty unusual to hear coaches coming out so blatantly dissing another team, particularly one that's beaten them twice!  Maybe he was just blowing off a little steam.

Can you give us a link?

LOL...it's a take-off on the Dennis Green rant after the lowly Cardinals almost beat the then invincible Bears in an exciting Monday Night game...

The AC was open last night!  WE were dead, The track team was on the road to AMES.  DO we chastize them for going out?  NO WAY.  The AC is always open, even in snow and ice.  I had to work there, does this make me a lesser fan, no I turned in on 1550 and listened to the game as I did my duties.  So we had a schedualing quirk, The last home game we had good attendance, remember HOF night?  :? I would back off and let this ride and push homecoming. They will come!

I'm not a fan of closing down the campus.  People have lives outside of basketball.  However, I'm strongly against scheduling a special event the same time as a basketball game.  Doing so limits the maximum number of people either event can get.

Who is the we in your statement?  Doesn't make much sense.  I think the disappointment is when two MAJOR events are scheduled on the same night thereby taking student attendance from one to the other. 

I'm not a fan of closing down the campus.  People have lives outside of basketball.  However, I'm strongly against scheduling a special event the same time as a basketball game.  Doing so limits the maximum number of people either event can get.

Bump

Posting fliers explicitly asking students not to support their school's athletic program when their team is playing on national TV is pretty weak. It's not that another event was scheduled... it's that the flyer read "DON'T GO TO THE GAME." I really don't know how anybody could justify it. Especially since the fliers didn't seem to have permission to be posted in the first place (no sig).

Anyone have a scan of the flier they could post?

Pretty sure it was Dennis Green when he was coaching the Vikings

Oh, great!  yet another embarrassing situation!  When am I going to learn to just go back to lurking on this board?!?  I'm pretty much a one sport fan (two if you count college baseball, but I pretty much just follow ORU even in that), so you throw football stuff around and I'm lost.

Oh, great!  yet another embarrassing situation!  When am I going to learn to just go back to lurking on this board?!?  I'm pretty much a one sport fan (two if you count college baseball, but I pretty much just follow ORU even in that), so you throw football stuff around and I'm lost.

Okay, thanks to Wikipedia and YouTube I'm about up to speed with the rest of you regarding the quote :oops:8-). . .

even back in my day (early 80's) students complained about our basketball team and how they stunk i couldnt wait to get to a d1 christian univ and maybe missed one home game my whole time there. i wonder if there is so many less guys at oru because they see the school as wimpy because they think the sports arent that great worship and concerts were great at oru but they have got to work the schedules out

I'm just saying that the AC and other places used to be closed during the games.  The track team going to another event is an entirely different animal.  the different sports are always going to conflict.  You can see some class about scheduling when Scott changed the start time of one of our fall games so as not to conflict with a big ORU girls volleyball game.  That's how it is done.  And he had his players at most all of the vball home games that I was at.  It doesn't take rocket science to not schedule events over one another, just effort.

Oh, and "they'll come" is relative.  Are they coming for the game or to see who's crowned? 

I love how so many use the excuse of how busy they are.  You've got to be kidding.  Unless they're a nursing major, pre-med, or getting crushed by a tough science/math class; they haven't the slightest about a busy life. 

Have the stinking concert on Wednesday, or work it into homecoming events, or for that matter have it last Thurs or next Thurs.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE!

+1 for isbig....I don't blame The Lord for leaving at halftime of last night's game... :-D.......and TheEagleman agrees that back in "the good old days"....Oral would never have allowed any important musical event or an important event of any kind to conflict with an ORU Titans game no matter who the opponent was....sure, there were students who had to study or complete projects, but if TheEagleman's failing memory serves me right....The LRC was closed from about 15 minutes before tip off until the game ended....every time.....of course, it was in vogue back then to go to the games and if students did not get to Mabee Center at least 1 hour before tip off, you were lucky to get a seat in the gold student section seats behind the basket.....ORU had a JV team back then and many students showed up for that game as well which was played prior to varsity.....I know it's old stuff for you younger guys but we also averaged over 7500 a game during our Top 20 days in 1972-1975.....ah, now that was some exciting basketball..... :-)

I get the feeling that this situation will change with the new administration. What happened last night was either sloppy oversight or someone is indifferent/hostile towards athletics. I have never understood the mentality of academics versus athletics. I am not asking for them to like or even agree with athletics - but they need to understand that athletics is a part of the college life - as well as part of our 'brand'. The students are hurting themselves by missing out on great experiences - and diminishing their alma mater.

I think that we have to realize that the demographics of our school's student body is very different from the hey-days of athletics.  25% of our students are commuters, plus there is a large segment of international students that may not be into the American culture of athletics/competition.  For all we know, they may just be happy to be in America.