ORU-Western Illinois game thread

ron

Sorry i couldn't be there tonight MM. I let you down.  Got home too late from work (that and was busy making people mad in other posts  :wink:). 

Hey, it's cool man.  You know I have nothing buy love for ya.  We're both in this battle together.  It's been good debate in that other thread.  I've enjoyed it.

I also understand life gets hectic sometimes.  I'll see you on Saturday???

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ron

• bballmangc

• Mike Minyard

• jmg1984

Top Posters In This Topic

Its homecoming, Its IUPUI,  We have a national home winning streak on the the line, and i have 2 tickets that could have gone to others who really wanted them.  Me, the mrs and the little boy will absolutly be there.  May even bring my megaphones.

The students I talk to on campus seem to have a pretty good appreciation of the athletic program all across the board. I get the feeling students shrugged this game off because it was understood it would be a given w for the golden eagles. I wouldn't discount the passion of the students though. There are just too many students I talk to who know and follow the program closely. Yet, It goes both ways.

I hope Coach Sutton uses this game as a wake up call for what can happen at home to a sub-a-dub-dub par team. We weren't even playing 50% of our potential tonight. So frustrating. I can guarantee if we play like that against IUPUI, there will be a different outcome. It was probably best the students didn't see this tonight, because that game does not represent our program.

I'm sure it is true. Currently one of the biggest draws to potential students at ORU is worship ministries. They've really stepped up their game and have placed strong leaders in the right places.

I'm not sure what kind of concert was going on tonight but it's safe to say that the bulk of ORU students are much more interested in "artsy and creative" things than college basketball.

While I can't speak to the tactics used to promote the other event (didn't see a flyer), are we really sickened over students choosing a worship event over a basketball game?  I mean, I understand being a fan; as most on here are.  But scheduling conflicts have always been an issue.  Even though it's been awhile, I can remember the competition for student's time during the college years.  That was 15 years ago...it has to be worse now.

If we are ashamed that ORU students would choose this event over the game, well, I think the "sad commentary" is misplaced.

By the way, I was at tonight's game (my third and most likely last (opportunity) of the year), but after watching us score less than 1 point per minute in the first half, maybe I should have gone to the other thing!  :wink:

Posting fliers explicitly asking students not to support their school's athletic program when their team is playing on national TV is pretty weak. It's not that another event was scheduled... it's that the flyer read "DON'T GO TO THE GAME." I really don't know how anybody could justify it. Especially since the fliers didn't seem to have permission to be posted in the first place (no sig).

Pulling crap like that is why people hate ORU people. I remember students always liked using OR's phrase- "Go into every man's world..." but a lot of ORU students are so out of touch with the real world it's embarrassing.

Didn't Oral Roberts himself make the statement that "every man doesn't read the Bible, but every man reads the sports page"? And that was before ORU ever played an athletic event on television.

Now we are blessed to have just about every home basketball game on national tv, along with other high profile games.

A basketball game is the only way many people will ever see something about ORU. They may tune out sermons and concerts, but they can respect great athletes and a big, loud student section enjoying their college experience.

I know that I would not have come to ORU if we didn't compete in Division 1 athletics, that was a huge factor for me. That and coming for college weekend, before that I kind of thought the place was going to be something like a glorified convent.

A christian concert is great, but to undercut athletics like that just sounds like someone was trying to take care of their own agenda, which is pretty un-Christlike, if you ask me.

I would like for ORU to be seen less like a bible camp for young adults and more like a college.

Also, strictly from a fan standpoint, what is our overall home record the last 4 years? It has to be something ridiculous and all the ones we lost were to pretty good teams, if I'm not mistaken. Western Illinois may not be exciting, but getting your friends together, yelling and making life miserable for them while your team WINS sounds like a good time.

+1 for you, Maniac....Oral would not have been pleased about what happened tonight....like you said, we have to go into the world of the non-believer and I had 50 mostly unsaved guys in a bar tonight asking me about ORU and one of the bartenders asked me why I went there and I got a chance to witness to him tonight about who Oral Roberts is and what the University did for me and what Christ has done in my life.....that's what it's all about and I know that Oral would have smiled at that....I don't blame students who preferred Christian music over a basketball game last night at all....but it's just sad to see so many empty seats for an old ORU war horse like me....enough said by theeagleman.... :-)

While I can't speak to the tactics used to promote the other event (didn't see a flyer), are we really sickened over students choosing a worship event over a basketball game?  I mean, I understand being a fan; as most on here are.  But scheduling conflicts have always been an issue.  Even though it's been awhile, I can remember the competition for student's time during the college years.  That was 15 years ago...it has to be worse now.

If we are ashamed that ORU students would choose this event over the game, well, I think the "sad commentary" is misplaced.

By the way, I was at tonight's game (my third and most likely last (opportunity) of the year), but after watching us score less than 1 point per minute in the first half, maybe I should have gone to the other thing!  :wink:

The problem is that the worship event seems to have been scheduled in DIRECT competition with the game, and then advertised in such a way that STUDENTS SHOULD MISS THE GAME in favor of the event scheduled is that way.  Frankly, I don't think when Oral was in charge the concert would have ever been scheduled for last night.  And I'm surprised at your position on it, Texasgrip, even though I know you're involved with a worship band. 

BOTH can co-exist on a Christian campus without being in competition with each other.  I would hope that my kid would participate in both realms of the college experience.  Why place them in competition?

I feel bad for the students that came out to support the team. I wish I could personally thank them for the support. We do have a good number of students that are fans.

I just don't want us to dwell on the negatives too much.

Following ORU's narrow win over the Leathernecks, Western Illinois head coach Jim Molinari had this to say...

"The Eagles are what we thought they were; they're what we thought they were. We played them once already this season — who the h*** takes the 7th game of the conference season like it's b*******, b*******!? We played them in the seventh game — everybody played three quarters of a game — the Eagles are who we thought they were! And that's the way we took the d*** court. Now if you wanna crown them, then crown their a**! But they are who we thought they were, and we let 'em off the hook!

1. Do we actually know this was a "worship" event? I didn't mean to sound like I knew it was.

2. Echoing what I think most people are saying here, I'd like to say this -

There is an obvious disconnect between the athletic department and the academic/student development departments. From the sounds of things, this lack of synergy did not exist when Oral was president.

It doesn't matter to me why the disconnect happened but I'd like to know what the fans can do to help bridge this gap again.

When you go to a College Weekend experience at a university like Texas A&M they revolve everything around athletics. Granted - I know I'm choosing the university that was rated with the 2nd highest level of tradition in the country.

We should change the way we market the university. I'm not saying that athletics are more important than anything else on campus but instead I'm suggesting that we've been trying to pull students through the streams of other avenues and athletics could be the ocean we need to pull a greater number of them in. (I know I'm preaching to the choir but I guess this is what I would say to anyone who cared in administration.)

Athletics being successful = more success for EVERYTHING related to the university - period.

I feel bad for the students that came out to support the team. I wish I could personally thank them for the support. We do have a good number of students that are fans.

I just don't want us to dwell on the negatives too much.

There should be some scheduling coordination between events on campus so things don't get double booked on the same night.  Something could have been moved to friday night (tonight) maybe?

Jesus was at the game. He left at half time though.

Any time there's a home basketball game, the rest of the campus should be shut down.  The GC, Christ Chapel, Timko, and anything else. 

Now you're talking.  And shut off power in the dorms!

Any time there's a home basketball game, the rest of the campus should be shut down.  The GC, Christ Chapel, Timko, and anything else. 

I know that the AC and the Eagle's Nest (or whatever it's called now) were shut down during Bball games...AND we were freakin' NAIA.

I am incredibly ticked at the scheduled event the night of a game.  You've got to be kidding me.  Tex it has nothing to do with sports over God.  It has to do with most of the students on campus being totally disconnected with anything related to ORU athletics.  It may be a generational thing.  Just like the article in the student paper with the three guys that went to the inauguration (no problem) and their glorification of BO as the superhero/savior of our country.  There is no connection to truth...too much of what is believed is whatever "media" tells them.  I have no idea how to get their heads out of the clouds (or somewhere else) and wake them up to the big bad world out there that is going to eat their lunch when they leave school.  Their bubble is about to explode in their face.

Yes, I know that is a generalization but last night's screwing of the athletic department for a look at me I can sing, on campus event is a poor reflection on not only the idiots that planned it but on those that are so apathetic that they wouldn't have went to ANYTHING if they hadn't had a paper in their face all day or one shoved in their hands at some point. 

I'm upset that there weren't more students there, but that's a problem of society in general.  I am very mad that a double booking happened and then it was directly marketed against the game. 

That Sucks royally and as was mentioned earlier, makes those people less like Christ, not more.

:x :x :x

Following ORU's narrow win over the Leathernecks, Western Illinois head coach Jim Molinari had this to say...

"The Eagles are what we thought they were; they're what we thought they were. We played them once already this season — who the h*** takes the 7th game of the conference season like it's b*******, b*******!? We played them in the seventh game — everybody played three quarters of a game — the Eagles are who we thought they were! And that's the way we took the d*** court. Now if you wanna crown them, then crown their a**! But they are who we thought they were, and we let 'em off the hook!

Where did you find this quote, Eli?  I can't seem to locate it anywhere.  Sounds like a little disrespect for ORU - it's pretty unusual to hear coaches coming out so blatantly dissing another team, particularly one that's beaten them twice!  Maybe he was just blowing off a little steam.

Can you give us a link?