ORU-Western Illinois game thread

ron

i think once it goes under 5 seconds you should foul.  i hate not fouling in those situations.  the losing team only needs to make a single shot to tie the game.  whereas multiple things have to happen right for the losing team if you foul -- make the first free throw, miss the second and get rebound, and then score to tie. 

i suspect coach does not have confidence that the team will foul at the right time.  he probably does not trust them to make free throw late if they foul too early.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ron

• bballmangc

• Mike Minyard

• jmg1984

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the strategy in fouling, but believe me there was no reason to foul Western Illinois. They did not have anything even close to a prayer. Good defense worked well here. Now if we were playing Oakland i think it would be a whole different sittuation. I think we need to try harder to get the ball down to Lewis and Ford. Lewis is essentially unstoppable down.

Some random observations not directly game-related:

1)  Scott was in a gray suit - not his blue.  It nearly cost us the game 8-)!

2)  The once-sizable Mabee Maniac group is down to only one row along the rail - eight or nine people?  That's a shame.

3)  Reggie Guyton was spotted in the stands in street clothes.  What gives?

4)  This entire season the pre-game prayer and national anthem have been done BEFORE the players take the court.  Seems premature, and non-inclusive of those that are the reason the rest of us are there.  What's up with that?

5)  Stat fact given in GEC dinner:  until tonight, ORU was 0-10 on the season when down at halftime.

All TheEagleman can say is....what a pathetic exhibition of basketball tonight....listen, I love ORU and will defend it to the death but we just stunk out the place tonight....14 baskets at home on 44 shots...geez....Ford was horrific inside tonight...late in the game he gets the ball inside and i just want him to go up and slam it home and he chips it up at the basket and misses badly....now you have to understand that TheEagleman is at a NE Philly bar watching the game with about 50 people and my work pals and Ford just tosses up that horrible shot....I have to admit that i called him a name that would get me suspended if i were a student...TheEagleman just thought that we looked awful tonight and again got ZERO help from horrendous officiating in the 2nd half....those Summit refs are pure YMCA leaguers....I hope we show up on Saturday night or IUPUI is gonna kick our A$$.....I am not going to sleep well tonight, my friends....we are playing poorly at the wrong time....Jarvis 4-14.....Lewis was OK but again nearly killed us at the line....Morrison is invisible....Ford is in some kind of funk....TheEagleman is NOT HAPPY!!!.... :|

I see the strategy in fouling, but believe me there was no reason to foul Western Illinois. They did not have anything even close to a prayer. Good defense worked well here. Now if we were playing Oakland i think it would be a whole different sittuation. I think we need to try harder to get the ball down to Lewis and Ford. Lewis is essentially unstoppable down.

especially when he doesn't travel :-D

2)  The once-sizable Mabee Maniac group is down to only one row along the rail - eight or nine people?  That's a shame.

It wasn't just the Maniacs.  It was the fact that a student lead concert was taking place over at Christ Chapel at 7 tonight!  There were fliers on campus that stated, "Do not go to the basketball game".  Over half the Maniacs didn't go to the basketball game tonight.

It's a sad statement sent by the student body tonight.

Some random observations not directly game-related:

1)  Scott was in a gray suit - not his blue.  It nearly cost us the game 8-)!

3)  Reggie Guyton was spotted in the stands in street clothes. What gives?

4)  This entire season the pre-game prayer and national anthem have been done BEFORE the players take the court.  Seems premature, and non-inclusive of those that are the reason the rest of us are there.  What's up with that?

5)  Stat fact given in GEC dinner:  until tonight, ORU was 0-10 on the season when down at halftime.

i guess that explains why he did not play tonight

We do the prayer and anthem after the teams leave the floor at the 10 minute mark so we can guarantee we are ready to go for television.  It's a common practice across the country.

especially when he doesn't travel :-D

But Lewis, and others were called for some travels tonight that were complete phantoms.  On the last one on Lewis they replayed it in slo-mo, and there was absolutely no travel - he caught the ball, took one step and went up.  Those refs, the gray-haired one in particular, were travel-happy tonight.  Scott was really upset about it late in the game.

MM...if what you say is true and TheEagleman believes you, well.....this is a sad commentary on ORU students.....TheEagleman is officially ashamed.... :-P

It wasn't just the Maniacs.  It was the fact that a student lead concert was taking place over at Christ Chapel at 7 tonight!  There were fliers on campus that stated, "Do not go to the basketball game".  Over half the Maniacs didn't go to the basketball game tonight.

that's really unfortunate that occurred. maybe the only thing you had to give RR credit for was that he was all about getting students to attend basketball games.  one would hope that in the future, events could be better coordinated so that students did not have to make a choice between the two.

I heard rumors about that during the game, and I couldn't believe it!  I really don't understand.  What was the motivation for doing this?  Was it purposely to spite the team or the athletic department or something?

MM...if what you say is true and TheEagleman believes you, well.....this is a sad commentary on ORU students.....TheEagleman is officially ashamed.... :-P

I'm sure it is true. Currently one of the biggest draws to potential students at ORU is worship ministries. They've really stepped up their game and have placed strong leaders in the right places.

I'm not sure what kind of concert was going on tonight but it's safe to say that the bulk of ORU students are much more interested in "artsy and creative" things than college basketball.

We do the prayer and anthem after the teams leave the floor at the 10 minute mark so we can guarantee we are ready to go for television.  It's a common practice across the country.

That makes sense.  We've talked about it at games, and I figured there was an explanation, but I kept forgetting to ask the question on the board, where I knew I'd get an answer.

It's frustrating guys.  It's disappointing.  It seriously makes me wonder why God called me to attend ORU.  I don't understand why I'm passionate about Oral Roberts University and the athletic department.  I just am.  That simple.  It's heartbreaking seeing what happened tonight on campus.

I love the vision and mission of ORU.  I love that the school is competitive at the NCAA Division 1 level.  How lucky are we to have it all?

I'm just extremely frustrated tonight.

The last possession of the Leathernecks was REALLY ugly, and I think you're right - very little chance of the last shot going it.  But what if someone had been able to get free and they had made a three?  Then we end up in OT and anything can happen.  I'm inclined to say, get the clock down under six seconds and foul.  I think the chances of that resulting in three points is smaller than a team shooting a trey.

watching the replay, its amazing how hard Ford works in the paint.  I haven't really noticed. He is always working for position. Too bad he doesn't get more ppg.

It does seem odd to have a student event on an athletic event night. When is one republic concert? it wasn't that was it?

Sorry i couldn't be there tonight MM. I let you down.  Got home too late from work (that and was busy making people mad in other posts  :wink:).