NDSU Promo(s) on Feb. 28

Mike Minyard

A promotion is in the works with a blue theme for the NDSU game on Feb. 28.  It won't involve 5,000 free t-shirts, but we want all the fans to team up by wearing blue.  We'll have to do an all out blitz to get our fans, but I think it will work.  My original idea was to promote as BYOB - Bring Your Own Blue - but I don't know if everyone would be happy to see that promo.  So I have to come up with something else.

Also, there have been discussions about doing a tailgate before the game as well.  I think things went great last year for the tailgate considering the weather.  I was actually very pleased with the participation.

I'm looking at some ideas to take it to the next level.  I've actually started to look at the expense of renting a giant tent to put in the parking lot or even trying to have a "Chili Cookoff" or something along those lines.

It's great that we have a lot of time our side this time around, and we can promote it the right way.

Feel free to throw your ideas on this thread, and we'll see what we can do to make Feb. 28 a day to remember.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• bballmangc

• ORU_Ed

• ORUTerry

A promotion is in the works with a blue theme for the NDSU game on Feb. 28.  It won't involve 5,000 free t-shirts, but we want all the fans to team up by wearing blue.  We'll have to do an all out blitz to get our fans, but I think it will work.  My original idea was to promote as BYOB - Bring Your Own Blue - but I don't know if everyone would be happy to see that promo.  So I have to come up with something else.

Also, there have been discussions about doing a tailgate before the game as well.  I think things went great last year for the tailgate considering the weather.  I was actually very pleased with the participation.

I'm looking at some ideas to take it to the next level.  I've actually started to look at the expense of renting a giant tent to put in the parking lot or even trying to have a "Chili Cookoff" or something along those lines.

It's great that we have a lot of time our side this time around, and we can promote it the right way.

Feel free to throw your ideas on this thread, and we'll see what we can do to make Feb. 28 a day to remember.

Anyway we could buy tickets to a catered tailgate like 5 bucks a person sponsored by Billy Sims BBQ or other catering food vendor.  That was everyone could come have food and tailgate together without worrying about logistics. 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to get four or five places to serve food and have there be a "cover" charge for fans.  We could move the Golden Eagle Club dinner to the tent, and it would probably be considered an upgrade!

Not sure our older club members would want to tail gate in February.... I think it is a great idea, but getting the GEC members to go along might be problematic. I could be wrong.

A lot depends on the weather.....

The key - as you have noted - is to have a pretty comprehensive media blitz encouraging fans to wear "ORU blue".... that means navy blue.

Maybe some enterprising soul could take the risk to sell blue t-shirts on the mezzanine for those fans who forgot....

How about prizes for those who wore blue? You could hand out tickets at the top of the escalators and announce winners during the game or at halftime. Logistically difficult - and maybe impossible - but it is an idea.

Wear Blue to get a ticket for a Robert Jarvis Bobblehead!

I believe that will without a doubt be part of the marketing!

Mike, how honorable and humble of you to ask for advice. I wonder if that is why ORU's Marketing has been the trend setter in the state for some time? Here's my two sense and it's actually quite simple.

Make posters advertising the game with the Wear ORU Blue promo on it. Then distribute those to all the area businesses that support us to put up NEXT WEEK. Also make the poster available for people to pick up and place where they wanted. I know I would take some and put them all over my department! lol

My thoughts are that the more people see, "Wear ORU Blue" the more they will remember.

It would really be effective to have the students buy into this.... to see the student section as a sea of blue.

I believe that will without a doubt be part of the marketing!

You could also have a bunch of $5-$10 shirts on sale for people that forgot/didn't know so they won't feel left out if they want to join in.  (And get a bobblehead)

You could also have a bunch of $5-$10 shirts on sale for people that forgot/didn't know so they won't feel left out if they want to join in.  (And get a bobblehead)

Yeah and I have no doubt that if you made them look like a shirt that everyone wants but no one can buy (because our bookstore is clueless) they'll fly off the shelves.

Yeah and I have no doubt that if you made them look like a shirt that everyone wants but no one can buy (because our bookstore is clueless) they'll fly off the shelves.

Senior we should put your face on it! Everyone would by it!  (Or we could have you design it)

Mike, how honorable and humble of you to ask for advice. I wonder if that is why ORU's Marketing has been the trend setter in the state for some time? Here's my two sense and it's actually quite simple.

Make posters advertising the game with the Wear ORU Blue promo on it. Then distribute those to all the area businesses that support us to put up NEXT WEEK. Also make the poster available for people to pick up and place where they wanted. I know I would take some and put them all over my department! lol

My thoughts are that the more people see, "Wear ORU Blue" the more they will remember.

Great point VC! If there was a .PDF flyer/poster available students, faculty, and fans could all spread the word about Wear Blue.

Jarvis and Lewis bobbleheads would be an awesome idea!  Chili cookoff or catered tent event sounds like fun also.  If we go with the chili idea, make sure we have the ventilation system on high for the game or maybe hand out some Febreze at the door.

I also think recognizing the seniors after the last home game, presenting a jersey or something is always pretty cool.  Maybe hand them the mic and give them a chance to say a few words to the fans...promising a trip to the tournament again!!!!

Wonder if we could get someone to make some of those fake dreadlock wigs with a headband (Jarvis night) to handout at the game to the first 1,000.

Jarvis and Lewis bobbleheads would be an awesome idea!  Chili cookoff or catered tent event sounds like fun also.  If we go with the chili idea, make sure we have the ventilation system on high for the game or maybe hand out some Febreze at the door.

I also think recognizing the seniors after the last home game, presenting a jersey or something is always pretty cool.  Maybe hand them the mic and give them a chance to say a few words to the fans...promising a trip to the tournament again!!!!

Wonder if we could get someone to make some of those fake dreadlock wigs with a headband (Jarvis night) to handout at the game to the first 1,000.

I'm assuming you realize that they honor the seniors in the manor you suggested every year, dl.

I saw some guys with the dread wigs during the Arkansas/Alabama game the other night, and I was thinking that it would be cool to get some of those to honor Robert, also.

If you hade a sponsor, I could offer a Navy Blue t-shirt, with a 1-color white imprint on the front for $2.99 each...

Just sayin'.