North Carolina Game Thread

ORUTerry

Great teams with superior athletes always seem to get the calls. Overall, I thought ORU did a great job. They had no chance to hang with them for 40 minutes but they played with them in spurts. This is the type of game that can really help later. Hopefully ORU can go on a run, Ford seems to be a nice addition.

ash  =o)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• ron

• ORUalum

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys played hard. 

They're tough and more importantly not afraid of anybody or any team.

This team will win games.  Let's start with the Lobos on Wednesday. 

From the road,

Hax

Great teams with superior athletes always seem to get the calls. Overall, I thought ORU did a great job. They had no chance to hang with them for 40 minutes but they played with them in spurts. This is the type of game that can really help later. Hopefully ORU can go on a run, Ford seems to be a nice addition.

ash  =o)

Yeah thats true. Great teams with Superior athletes, like when Tulsa played OU and Blake Griffin made Jerome Jordan look like Lisa Leslie. That didnt really happen tonight.

623964.jpg

UNC-ORU: Postgame Quotes

ROY WILLIAMS

Opening Statement:

"What it does is it it makes our coaching staff feel very good because we sure as dickens need some practice time. We feel happy about the win and those kind of things but it's probably the least efficient that we've been out there. I think you congratulate Oral Roberts because they kept coming at us. [Robert] Jarvis made a bunch of shots and I think their post players played well and did some things we did not want to do.

"We were not sharp at all. We weren't very good defensively at all. I think it is the first time this year we have been out rebounded. I know it is the first time we've been outrebounded by more than one or two....I guess we should have expected it. The last nine days we've had two practices and taken four hundred exams or whatever it is they've had to take. I wasn't pleased at all with what we did on the backboards. I wasn't pleased with our defense. We were just more gifted, that's the bottom line...and playing at home and we won the game because we should have, won it because of those reasons.

"Again I think you have to congratulate Oral Roberts because we get it to twenty at halftime and they outscore us in the second half. Not good news to me when we give up 50 points in the second half. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we've got to get back and go to work. I've been pleased with what we've done defensively on the floor, but not tonight so we've got to get back to work."

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/821107.html

Oakland fan here.  Good job representing the Summit on national TV last night.  I watched first hand what UNC did to a ranked Michigan State team at Ford Field the week earlier, and that makes ORU's performance last night even more respectable.

I was already impressed with the way Hardy and (the trimmed down) Lewis looked in the UALR game, and now it looks like Ford will indeed be a great addition for you. 

For RPI purposes, let's hope the Summit teams can do well in the remaining non-league games.  Oakland still get the chance to boost its RPI against Michigan and Michigan State (a win over Green Bay would help, too), and wins by ORU over New Mexico, Murray State, South Florida, and/or USC would be nice.  Good luck.

TheEagleman appreciates all the kind words from our Summit foes about the game last night...class act, all of you....and though he is not a Roy Williams fan....TheEagleman tips the cap to Coach for his praise of ORU's effort last night...he is 100% right...most college age kids would be intimidated by that team and atmosphere and falling behind by 20 early....but the Eagles kept battling and made some clutch shots....Jarvis, Stokes, Lewis all showed some major stones....Morrison still young and missing too many open looks....Ford looks very good and he will fair well in our league.....last night was actually a loss that felt like a win....+1 to the Golden Eagles and TheEagleman certainly thinks we have a shot vs. the Lobos on Wednesday....oh yeah, Valpo lost again last night..... :-D

I agree with most of the sentiments posted earlier in this thread. It really did feel like a win tonight. Growing up a UNC fan you always hear of how the refs have a strong bias to your team, but it never looked as bad as it did last night. I'm glad they let them play a little more in the second half. Does anyone know if they got a photo of Ford's two-handed slam on one of the UNC post players in the first half? It should have been an "and 1", but that was when the refs whistles only worked on one side of the court. Can't wait for the next game at the Mabee to see him in action!

Oakland fan here.  Good job representing the Summit on national TV last night.  I watched first hand what UNC did to a ranked Michigan State team at Ford Field the week earlier, and that makes ORU's performance last night even more respectable.

I was already impressed with the way Hardy and (the trimmed down) Lewis looked in the UALR game, and now it looks like Ford will indeed be a great addition for you. 

For RPI purposes, let's hope the Summit teams can do well in the remaining non-league games.  Oakland still get the chance to boost its RPI against Michigan and Michigan State (a win over Green Bay would help, too), and wins by ORU over New Mexico, Murray State, South Florida, and/or USC would be nice.  Good luck.

Great post, Germane, and thanks for the kind words.  Summit teams do indeed need to start knocking off some of our non-con opponents to get RPI up.  Good luck to you guys in some of those big games you mentioned.  Those in-state opponents should be exciting matchups. 

ash  =o)

Thanks, Ash.  I agree, this game should be a REAL confidence booster for our team.  They always seem to come up big in big environments, like UNC and Mizzou.  Question is, can they hang on to that intensity after a six hour bus ride to Shreveport, followed by a game with a crowd of a couple hundred?  It's a lot harder to maintain that level of intensity in those environments.

Hansbrough's awful looking post shot really bothers me, no way he's gonna be able to do that in the NBA...

His shot at times is ugly, but he sure gets he job done.  And he's earned the undying affection of the media (and officials).  Those announcers yesterday couldn't slather enough praise on the guy, while the refs seemed to think he could do no wrong. 

It would be nice to be in that position, all the while receiving hero-worship from everyone you came in contact with, wouldn't it?

Did you guys notice that the announced attendance was 21,269?  That was probably paid seats, but even so, that's pretty incredible. 

In double-checking the numbers, I found that this was the largest attendance for any ORU game ever - but after I checked, I read the press release and saw that this was already referenced by Cris and crew - You have to get up PRETTY EARLY IN THE MORNING to get the jump on those guys!

Anyway, prior to last night, the largest attendance was 19,246, in a game at Arkansas' Bud Walton Arena, November 25, 1997.  Next largest attendance came just last year - 19,010 against Pittsburgh at Denver's Pepsi Center, Mar. 20, 2008, in the 2008 NCAA Tournament.

His shot at times is ugly, but he sure gets he job done.  And he's earned the undying affection of the media (and officials).  Those announcers yesterday couldn't slather enough praise on the guy, while the refs seemed to think he could do no wrong. 

It would be nice to be in that position, all the while receiving hero-worship from everyone you came in contact with, wouldn't it?

Nothing like what you get, tmh, for being the post leader on ORUSports. :wink::-D

Nothing like what you get, tmh, for being the post leader on ORUSports. :wink::-D

Naw - mostly I just get flack, like, "When are you going to get a real job," and stuff like that!  There's a burden to bear when you post too much :wink:!

The dunk was on the 6'10 freshman, Ed Davis #32. Click on the link below to see it as one of the game recap highlights:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283480153

Did you notice on that same page that "ESPN Research" pointed out that "Oral Roberts has lost eight of its last 10 games overall."  While Technically that IS true, they had to go over into last season's loss in the NCAA Tournament to come up with that number, in which case they may as well have thrown in the rest of our 24-9 season which would have made the W-L ratio look a whole lot better.

We may have lost the game, but our players have the hardest heads - Green needed five stitches over his eye after butting heads with Marcus Lewis. 

All Marcus did was blink a couple times and keep playing . . .