• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• Mike Minyard

• Golden Boy

• tmh8286

The ones found on the board are provided by the board software.  These others are copy-and-paste from other sources. 

I am trying the bring the topic back from where we left itbefore the little digital creeps started climbing all over it. :-D

I like the "Sweat Gold" campaign because it says to the student athlete that is committed to the program and is willing to do everything to excel:" Look! If you put in that kind of effort and excel for the good of the team, we will put your name and face out there and make it recognizable."

I think it's saying: "We think, based on your performance and commitment, that your name will be a household name in this town." Jarvis has every reason to keep working hard, hard, hard. Sutton and ORU stand behind him. NBA? You hold the keys Robert. We for our part are behind you.

Other athletes that are up and coming behind him see the commitment that is being made and realize that we will stand behind them (push them ahead of us) in a similar fashion when they give us reason to.

For the above mentioned reasons, I think the campaign is ingenius. As for gold sweat generally, I think it still stinks and would not want to get under those pits. :-D

On the other hand, I would love to be able to embrace Jarvis if and when we win something big. He will bust out in a big way this year. If he ramps things up yet from last year, his shooting (and his "sweat gold" mug) could be the focus of national attention as pundits lay out the impact of the line being moved back this year. I, for one, am hoping and thinking that it will be (and I'm thinking that it might be one of the reasons behind the campaign).

. . . his "sweat gold" mug . . .

Now THERE'S something I'd love to be sipping my coffee from!  Mom - if you can get me "Sweat Gold" mugs, I'll pre-order TWO!

Now THERE'S something I'd love to be sipping my coffee from!  Mom - if you can get me "Sweat Gold" mugs, I'll pre-order TWO!

LOL :-D

I'm excited about the possibiliy!  Nice job, Ron, even though it wasn't what you were meaning!

A nice "cheer" for you!

TheEagleman would love 2 Sweat Gold mugs and a Lindsay Roberts bobblehead..... :-D

I'm excited about the possibiliy!  Nice job, Ron, even though it wasn't what you were meaning!

A nice "cheer" for you!

Thanks, tmh! Every once in a while, it's nice to fall into something good. I have to admit, those mugs would look good. Thanks for being so astute and recognizing it . . . and I will absolutely take all the cheers I can get, regardless how accidentally I come by them. :-D

Here is the artwork...

Nice design...look forward to seeing it from the road sometime although I'm not sure how often I'll ever be that far north on highway 169.  If the "FOR TICKETS:  918.495.6000" font is BIG & BOLD enough it might actually stimulate a few phone call for tickets.  Otherwise, I'd print off a bazillion of them in business card size with "GOOD FOR ONE $3 ADMISSION" on the back and pass them out all over the greater Tulsa metro area.

Otherwise it's a nice feel good piece for the program and those who follow it close enough to know who Robert Jarvis is and enjoy seeing a billboard or two around town for promoting the ORU brand.

As for the television commercial, well I hope we don't run it very often if ever because it unfortunately won't sell tickets which is what our advertising effort should be primarily concerned with, along with defining our brand.  Unfortunately the TV commercial while it could be called "cute," doesn't really accomplish either of the before mentioned.

Sorry folks but I just want to see more actual butts in seats at the Mabee Center.  With the current economic concern among the general population, people will be looking for a fun AND more importantly AFFORDABLE night out for their family of four.  We have 5,500 blue balcony seats that will be consistently vacant and available for our eleven home games this season.

"FOUR TIX for $10" would be my slogan and I'd promote the heck out of it on radio, television, print ads and arguably the most effective "word of mouth"...define ORU basketball as THE AFFORDABLE and FUN family night out and fill seats with folks who can't afford the movies or TU/66ers games.  My goal would be to sell 1,000+ of these "$10 family four paks" for EVERY game; doing this would stimulate revenue at the concession stands, souvenir stand, and ultimately deliver another $150K+ in ticket sales revenue by the end of the season.  Once folks come and acquire a taste for it, they may actually like it and tell their friends to come along too.

Imagine the buzz an extra and legit 4,000 fans would bring to the Mabee Center on a consistent basis.  Here's an idea, let's actually average a real 7,000 fans per game this season and not just report that we do.  An empty seats costs us how much per game and how much is it worth to have a warm body paying $2.50/ticket to actually use the seat at each game?  People are looking for something affordable and fun to do...put the package together that delivers what they want and then go tell them where to find it.  8-)

Did I say yet that I don't like the commercials much? I suppose that I don't really have to write everything that I think, but I have a bit of time . . . . I don't use the word "silly" in my vocabulary much, but it does come to mind in this connection. Perhaps it's a generational thing? Does it appeal more to the younger generation? If so, it would, of course, be a great campaign. The younger crowd are ones that we are trying to reach, although the boomers may still the ones with the most disposable income (or was that only prior to the crash) to buy tickets.

"FOUR TIX for $10" would be my slogan and I'd promote the heck out of it on radio, television, print ads and arguably the most effective "word of mouth"...define ORU basketball as THE AFFORDABLE and FUN family night out and fill seats with folks who can't afford the movies or TU/66ers games.  My goal would be to sell 1,000+ of these "$10 family four paks" for EVERY game; doing this would stimulate revenue at the concession stands, souvenir stand, and ultimately deliver another $150K+ in ticket sales revenue by the end of the season.  Once folks come and acquire a taste for it, they may actually like it and tell their friends to come along too.

Imagine the buzz an extra and legit 4,000 fans would bring to the Mabee Center on a consistent basis.  Here's an idea, let's actually average a real 7,000 fans per game this season and not just report that we do.  An empty seats costs us how much per game and how much is it worth to have a warm body paying $2.50/ticket to actually use the seat at each game?  People are looking for something affordable and fun to do...put the package together that delivers what they want and then go tell them where to find it.  8-)

Hear, hear!!

Now that's one of the best posts I've read on this board in a LONG time!  I couldn't agree more ... right out of Chapter 26 in the textbook on fixed and variable costs!  I LIKE IT!!  Let's get some folks in those empty seats!!!

Nice design...look forward to seeing it from the road sometime although I'm not sure how often I'll ever be that far north on highway 169.  If the "FOR TICKETS:  918.495.6000" font is BIG & BOLD enough it might actually stimulate a few phone call for tickets.  Otherwise, I'd print off a bazillion of them in business card size with "GOOD FOR ONE $3 ADMISSION" on the back and pass them out all over the greater Tulsa metro area.

Otherwise it's a nice feel good piece for the program and those who follow it close enough to know who Robert Jarvis is and enjoy seeing a billboard or two around town for promoting the ORU brand.

How many of us have ever called a phone number on a billboard immediately after seeing it?  I've never bought something because of a billboard.  Now it might lead me to investigate something, but nobody has ever made money off of me directly because of a billboard.

I hired our very own orusenior to do the artwork.  He did a very good job for us, and I'll hire him again.

The billboard artwork is one of the few things I get to do as far as ticket sales advertising.

We actually have 10 billboards each month, and they move to a different location every month.

As for the television commercial, well I hope we don't run it very often if ever because it unfortunately won't sell tickets which is what our advertising effort should be primarily concerned with, along with defining our brand.  Unfortunately the TV commercial while it could be called "cute," doesn't really accomplish either of the before mentioned.

I can't speak for the commercial since I didn't handle it.  Others in the department directed and produced it.  However, I don't think anyone would be talking about the commercial if it were just a commercial with some slam dunks highlighting our accomplishments.  I don't know if TV spots sell season tickets.  I could see them making people aware of upcoming games.  I think the point of a season ticket spot just lets people know that basketball is here.

I just wanted to make sure that our ticket number and website address was visible throughout the entire commercial.  Too many people have DVR now and fast forward through commercials.  So at least you can see something that might grab your attention while skipping commercials.  The main point of the commercial was to make sure people were aware of our number and website.

Sorry folks but I just want to see more actual butts in seats at the Mabee Center.  With the current economic concern among the general population, people will be looking for a fun AND more importantly AFFORDABLE night out for their family of four.  We have 5,500 blue balcony seats that will be consistently vacant and available for our eleven home games this season.

I agree that we all want to see MANY more people at ORU basketball games.  Let's be honest with ourselves though.  How many people care about ORU basketball?  We have a low percentage of alumni that even purchase season tickets.  Probably 75% of our booster club membership is made up of non-ORU graduates.  We have over 5,000 households in the Tulsa area that have an ORU graduate.  That alone should fill the lower level each night.

So we basically have to throw out the majority of ORU alumni since they don't support their own school for the most part.

So let's look at the Oilers game last night.  How many of those people attending just went to the game to see the arena or to drink beer at a sporting event?  How many of those people actually went to watch Oilers hockey?

Another thing to consider in the sports business is how often does anyone actually purchase a ticket?  I put ORU in a category closer to the Drillers, Oilers, Talons, etc. instead of comparing us to TU.  People often get tickets through their employer or a connection of a friend.  The key, in my opinion, is for ORU to sell many more tickets to local employers. 

I just don't think people buy tickets very often unless they have an emotional tie to the team.

We could give away 5,000 tickets away each night and maybe half would use them.  That is much better than empty seats.  It also will make money for concessions and the gift store.

I know the needed cure for our attendance and ticket revenue issues runs much deeper, and the remedy needs to be much stronger than the suggested promotion.  I'll leave it at that...

Rob, this is exactly what we talked about at breakfast on Thursday.  What were you trying to accomplish by putting this on the board?  Are you just wanting everyone else to know your stance as well?

I want to promote the hell out of ORU basketball, and I want to advertise like crazy.  However, my budget is terrible.  I believe that any business should use a % of gross profit for the advertising budget, but that is not how things operate here or most institutions.  The advertising budget at ORU has been pretty small.  We depend on trade deals way too much.  You get what you pay for in this world.

I believe we have a great product with terrible packaging.

If there was someone that had half a brain at Sodexho (aka Saga for those back in the day), I would give the athletic office $1.00 (or maybe more) in food and catering credit for each give-away ticket that came through the door each game from a game sponsor (ala Wal-Mart, QuikTrip, etc.).  The more people that come into the game with a free ticket, the more disposable income that spectator thinks that he has for refreshments.  If the concession stand can't make $4.00 off a family of four on any given night, then there is something wrong with the ultra-salty popcorn, flat soft-drink or stale peanuts.  A half-empty Mabee Center does not make the concession stands any money - especially those living off of the GEC membership benefits - but a full MC creates long lines and a perception of demand at the sales counter.