Summit League Championship Tickets on sale

89rabbit

Ticket sales have been brisk.  According to Terry Vandrovec (SDSU beat writter at the Sioux Falls Argus Leader newspaper) only about 350 reserved seats are still available.  There are more then that left in GA although he didn't say how many more. 

Go State!  :-D

There'll be plenty left after SDSU's men get knocked out on the first day... if they make it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• 89rabbit

• oruvoice

• ORU_Ed

There'll be plenty left after SDSU's men get knocked out on the first day... if they make it.

Doubtful unless the Women are also knocked out early.  Jackrabbit fans love Women's hoops almost as much as Men's!

Go State!  :-D

How can plenty of tickets be left if they sell a bunch of all-session passes?  Those tickets aren't released just because their team gets beat.  So ticket availability has nothing to do with the advancement of a team.  The only way it impacts ticket availability is on a single session basis, but it sounds like the goal is to sell out reserved all-session passes.

• 1 month later...

How usual is it for a conference to have their championship tournament in a remote a location such as SDSU? I know they are trying to spread it around a bit, and give each school a fair opportunity.

Seems like most conferences have their tournament in a large metro area near a member school, or geographically centered to most schools.  I believe the ACC had their basketball tournament in Charlotte, NC, even though no member schools are located there.  To me Tulsa, Kansas City, Indianapolis makes sense, or even OK City. Making everyone travel up there does not.

I wish we would have it in Indianapolis.  I guess the best venue would be Butler's home court, but they will probably be hosting the Horizon League tournament at some point since the high seeds host each round.

Easy for everyone to get to, great downtown area, great basketball state, etc.  I wouldn't expect IUPUI to draw very many fans, but it could be good to help them take the next step.  Playing the tournament at Conseco Fieldhouse would be a disaster though.

IUPUI is playing two games this year at Conseco for some reason.  I understand if you can get a "home" game against Indiana or another big draw, but they are playing Eastern Illinois and Indiana State.  Maybe their games are part of a two game event, but that just doesn't sound like it would sell many tickets for such a large arena.

How usual is it for a conference to have their championship tournament in a remote a location such as SDSU? I know they are trying to spread it around a bit, and give each school a fair opportunity.

Seems like most conferences have their tournament in a large metro area near a member school, or geographically centered to most schools.  I believe the ACC had their basketball tournament in Charlotte, NC, even though no member schools are located there.  To me Tulsa, Kansas City, Indianapolis makes sense, or even OK City. Making everyone travel up there does not.

Since the Summit League Tournament does not draw very many casual fans (those without a vested rooting interest), and each member school brings only a small number of fans (unless it is in their backyard), putting the tournament in Oklahoma City would be insane.  There might be 1500-2000 fans there if we were really lucky, and most would be those who travelled from Tulsa to root for ORU.

We tried the tournament for 2 years in Kansas City, and maybe there were 2500-3000 fans total for UMKC games and 1000 for non-UMKC games.  (Correct me if I'm wrong).

The same thing would happen in Indianapolis as happened in Kansas City.

Since Oakland seems to have a more engaged fan base, they might draw 3000-3500 on a night that Oakland was playing. 

ORU consistently drew 4000-4500 for ORU tourney games in Tulsa, even in the 4th year.

Since there is so much interest in the Dakotas, they are really the only other logical option that could surpass Tulsa's performance, because they will draw from 2 member schools who each have fairly decent fan bases.

TheEagleman has no problem with playing the tourney in SD....i'll bet it sells out but will be interesting to see what happens if the SDSU and NDSU are eliminated early.....i have a feeling NDSU will be around for at least the semis.... :-P

I have no problem with playing the tourney in SD....i'll bet it sells out but will be interesting to see what happens if the SDSU and NDSU are eliminated early.....i have a feeling NDSU will be around for at least the semis....

Since SDSU will probably not have a very strong team this year, but NDSU is expected to be a conference contender, NDSU has a good chance to make the semis, and maybe even the finals.  I'm not saying that the conference/refs would purposely stack the deck in favor of NDSU, but I remember that both years the tourney was in Kansas City, ORU lost to UMKC in the 1st round each time, and there were several very questionable calls down the stretch of those games.

We were blessed with having the tourney in Tulsa at a time when our men's team was at its' best.  We will still have a good chance to win this year's tourney, but it will be a challenge to say the least.

It's always an advantage playing the tourney in front of the home fans but am i correct in assuming that the tournament is NOT on the home floor of SDSU, right?....do they play all home games this arena or on campus?...i would not be surprised to see the Summit League select Fargo as host in the very near future...as an official myself, i hope that the league does not encourage refs to favor the home town teams....not very sportsmanlike..... do you guys think we got the calls in Tulsa the past few years?.... :-P

It's always an advantage playing the tourney in front of the home fans but am i correct in assuming that the tournament is NOT on the home floor of SDSU, right?....do they play all home games this arena or on campus?...i would not be surprised to see the Summit League select Fargo as host in the very near future...as an official myself, i hope that the league does not encourage refs to favor the home town teams....not very sportsmanlike..... do you guys think we got the calls in Tulsa the past few years?.... :-P

Where do I cast my vote? I'm all for Fargo as host. That would let me get down for a few games for sure!

As for the refs being pro-ORU in their calls the last few years . . . that could never be. It might happen everywhere else in the country, but not in Tulsa . . . or at least not when ORU is involved. :wink:

I think we may have benefited some from officiating, but mostly because we were the best team not the home team.

I must admit, though, that I can't recall any specific play or plays.

I thought our crowd in the 2007 finals took over in the second half.  I think the refs and the Oakland team were rattled.  It was the first time I ever really remember an ORU crowd taking over a game.

I don't think the refs were being "homers", but I do think we were getting just about every 50/50 call.

I thought our crowd in the 2007 finals took over in the second half.  I think the refs and the Oakland team were rattled.  It was the first time I ever really remember an ORU crowd taking over a game.

I don't think the refs were being "homers", but I do think we were getting just about every 50/50 call.

Mike, that was the loudest crowd at any ORU game I'd ever been a part of...The way the guys fought back right after halftime was amazing.  Kangas going Ice cold, steals & break away dunks.  That one by Shawn that I think tied it up or was close to it...I thought the walls were coming down...the student white out, the CC crazies on the other end screamin' our heads off...our pastor making a cross out of the balloons the maniacs gave us, (classic)...

Sorry, memories came flooding in...That was an amazing game.  Thanks MM

Mike, that was the loudest crowd at any ORU game I'd ever been a part of...The way the guys fought back right after halftime was amazing.  Kangas going Ice cold, steals & break away dunks.  That one by Shawn that I think tied it up or was close to it...I thought the walls were coming down...the student white out, the CC crazies on the other end screamin' our heads off...our pastor making a cross out of the balloons the maniacs gave us, (classic)...

Sorry, memories came flooding in...That was an amazing game.  Thanks MM

That's what we need to bring to the Mayor's Cup game to start the season. Does anyone, besides me, think it's possible?

Ron is right....we need to bring that kind of spirit to the ORU-TU game....it should be a full house with lots of Eagle fans on hand!..... :-)