george hill 1st round pick

jmg1984

Now that's funny right there!  While I'm thinking about it, I posed a question on another thread that didn't get answered - is there a student section at BOTH goals?  Back in the old days, we were just at one end.

I did respond, but you might have missed it in the other stuff I said in that post.  Students currently sit only in the west end seats.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• darrenj

Lo siento, amigo.  Now my question is, would a bunch of Maniacs on BOTH ends of the court be a much more harrassing presence to visiting teams?  (at least the first few rows).  Any talk of that happening?

Moving the Maniacs behind the opposing bench has been discussed, but I think that is where the corporate donors, etc are seated.

I think Maniacs at both baskets would be preferable, because harrassing  opponents during free throws, and plays under the basket, is usually effective.  Fans behind the opponent's bench lends itself too much to name calling, heckling players just sitting on the bench, and interfering with the opponents coaching.

ESPN.com ranked the Top 50 rookies for the 08-09 season ... Hill lands rather high on that list, coming in at #20.

I watched the replay of the ORU-IUPUI Summit League championship game the other night to focus in on Hill; it's easy to see what the Spurs like about him as a back-up to Tony Parker:  he gets to the rim quickly a lot like Parker does, but he's taller.

i had forgotten about the spin move Hill had attempted late in the first half where he plowed right into Marcus Lewis for an offensive foul.  One of the most violent collisions I have ever witnessed on the basketball floor; surprising both guys - especially Hill - were able to stay in the game.  Hill missed a lot of shots he would normally make from that point on - have to wonder if he was hurting a bit.

I was also reminded that Marchello Vealy did not play in that game (in fact, did not play in ANY of the tournament games) due to a serous foot injury, and that Jarvis was hobbled with a high-ankle sprain suffered against Creighton.  The biggest contributors were Ehambe, Sango, Lewis, Jarvis, and Hardy - four of whom are back this year.

Everyone looks like a stud on edit tapes!  I could make voice look like a lottery pick if we had enough video footage. 

On a serious note... Hill is a very good player.  He has good size, and that's what has put him above some of the better Mid-Con players we've seen through the years.  I still think we've seen several players better than him over the last 10 years... they just didn't have the physical tools.

it still gets me everytime how goofy their gym looks compared to the Mabee...

I knew their gym was bad, but I think my high school gym in the 80s was better than that.

I knew their gym was bad, but I think my high school gym in the 80s was better than that.

You should have seen it before the renovations!  :-o

It's amazing how many NCAA Division I programs have similar type facilities though.  ORU is very fortunate to have the Mabee Center.  The average facility at the DI level is probably something similar to Oakland or Western Illinois.  The BCS programs we see on TV give us all a false sense of what actually is NCAA Division I basketball.  The state of Oklahoma for that matter probably has the best facilities in the country when you consider that all four DI schools have great facilities.  People in the state of Oklahoma don't understand the lows of college basketball because we just don't see it.  It's a lot different perspective here than in a state like North Carolina.  The majority do not have a great facilities.

My small high school gym in Indiana was/is bigger than that one.  And I went to a small high school (650 students in the high school 4 grades)

LAS VEGAS -- The plan was for George Hill, the guard from IUPUI the Spurs drafted with the 26th selection of the 2008 draft, to make his Las Vegas Summer League debut against the Memphis Grizzlies’ Mike Conley, one of the top picks in the 2007 draft. 

When the Spurs’ coaches found out Conley wasn’t going to suit up for Memphis, they had a better idea.

"George Hill vs. O.J. Mayo,” assistant coach Mike Budenholzer said before the Spurs defeated the Grizzlies, 78-76, at Thomas and Mack Arena late Monday night.

“It’s definitely a good test for him right out of the gate. I don’t know that much about Mayo, but he was the third pick in the draft and George was the 26th pick. Hopefully, he’s got something he wants to show everybody. It always starts with defense for George.”

Mayo, the explosive guard from Southern California the Grizzlies acquired in a draft night trade involving draft rights to UCLA’s Kevin Love, is the sort of challenge the Spurs believe Hill will readily accept, even as a rookie.

Budenholzer had some advice for Hill before sending him out against Mayo, who had scored 56 points in his first three summer league games.

“This kid is looking to score,” Budenholzer told Hill,  “so make him take tough shots, but don’t foul him.”

It was the same sort of admonition Gregg Popovich gave to Bruce Bowen when he sent him out to defend Kobe Bryant in the Western Conference final.

“That’s one of our big things,” Budenholzer said. “Make him take tough shots, but don’t put him on the free throw line. If we can get out of this game with O.J. Mayo shooting six, seven free throws – sort of like Kobe Bryant – then that’s probably a good sign for George.”

By game’s end, Mayo had scored 18 points, but taken only six free throws. Hill also had succeeded in making him take the sort of tough shots the Spurs are content to yield. Mayo made only five of 17 shots.

It was what Budenholzer and Popovich, watching from a seat eight rows up in the stands in a nearly deserted arena, had hoped to see from Hill at the defensive end.

Hill made two of nine shots and scored 14 points, but his defensive work on Mayo – he took two charges and helped in limiting Mayo to two points in the second and third quarters – was all that mattered in his first game in silver and black.