george hill 1st round pick

jmg1984

I want to ask ask a question.

Why is George Hill picked in an NBA draft but Caleb Green is not?

I know people will say if you can play in the NBA you will make it.

But, didn't we think Caleb would get picked? (But who cares what WE think?)

I mean, Caleb had more post season experience and was POY three times in the Summit League.  Not too bad!

Plus, who would deny how great he was and became for ORU in the Summit League.

I know there are variables behind the scene we may not see but I can not figure out that one.

Also, Hill opted out of his last year of college basketball.  Did he know something we didn't?  From our perspective it may have been a big chance he took but he, from the Summit League, was a first round pick.

Some of the players from last years draft turned out to be lost causes (as some do).

If we are talking Summit League and the players--why is Hill drafted and Green not?

I'd like to know the answer. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for Hill and the Summit League. 

I guess I wanted to be glad for Caleb, too (I know, I'm an ORU alum so I'm biased).

I know we've talked a little about this topic on the board but it is still confusing to me.

How many back-to-the-basket types did you see drafted last night, especially ones that are 6'8" with marginal leaping ability?

Does Caleb fit the typical GM's mold for an NBA forward?  No.

Do I think his attitude and motor would be an asset for the right team in the league?  Absolutely.

Here's hoping he gets a chance (and a consistent 20' jumper).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• darrenj

I could see Caleb fitting pretty well in Phil Jackson's system.  It sure looks like they need more bangers than dainty guards with funny fair.  Still, he has his work cut out for him.  Would he take a chance on the D league?

Here's hoping he gets a chance (and a consistent 20' jumper).

Shot about 40% from three point range this past year... so he has improved.

I will be SHOCKED if George Hill makes it in the NBA. I just don't see it.

He really struggles against PHYSICAL defenders. It's a quantum leap from being defended by a skinny, 5-10, white guy from Southern Utah and being defended by NBA guards.

Not trying to 'hate' on the guy, but he'll collect his 3 year guaranteed contract and then spend the remiander of his career overseas, IMHO.

I agree with voice....i just don't see George Hill as an NBA player...but then again, maybe that's why i am in the insurance business.... :-D....if Caleb measures out at only 6-7....yeah, he is probably a bit too small to go against the big power forwards in the NBA....still, I think CB will get his chance at some point....seems to have a lot of heart....good luck to George....i hope he does well with the Spurs..... :mrgreen:

I think Hill has a place in the league and he is probably stronger than Nash, Parker and those type. He did bench 185 lbs 10 times at the combine and outplayed most of the 2nd tier pt. guards in workouts.

The Spurs seem very happy to have him and it takes a lot for Pop to say something nice about rookies!

Hope he makes it.

I will be SHOCKED if George Hill makes it in the NBA. I just don't see it.

He really struggles against PHYSICAL defenders. It's a quantum leap from being defended by a skinny, 5-10, white guy from Southern Utah and being defended by NBA guards.

Not trying to 'hate' on the guy, but he'll collect his 3 year guaranteed contract and then spend the remiander of his career overseas, IMHO.

Think what the guy may be able to do with some real coaching.

He may have just scratched the surface of his potential...

Guys, as radical as it may seem, until we get our own NBA players, I am ready to adopt George as our representative from the Summit. I am extremely proud of the fact that he is there and has made a good decision that has paid off for him.

I will cheer for him against evryone but the Raptors. :-D

Guys, as radical as it may seem, until we get our own NBA players, I am ready to adopt George as our representative from the Summit. I am extremely proud of the fact that he is there and has made a good decision that has paid off for him.

I will cheer for him against evryone but the Raptors. :-D

I don't know if I'd use the word "adopt" in relation to Hill, but I liked the way Hill played - not too flashy or dramatic, not dirty; he just went out and played hard.  Although we were yelling something at him during the ORU/IUPUI game at the Summit Championship over something he'd done - I don't remember what it was - he really was a clean player that I could respect (unlike Rawle Marshall, who taunted the crowd after Oakland beat ORU in the final a few years ago). 

I have no problem in wishing the guy well.  Hopefully he'll be just what San Antonio needs, and we'll be hearing his name a lot in the future.  Wouldn't THAT be something . . .

Rawle Marshall of Oakland has played a couple years in the NBA recently.  He's been with the Mavericks, Pacers and Suns.  The Suns waived him last October, and he hasn't been back to the NBA since.

Here are his career numbers: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/rawle_marshall/career_stats.html

Last year he played in Serbia, and put up pretty good numbers.  I'd imagine he will be back in the NBA at some point.    http://www.adriaticbasket.com/player.php?id=943

Rawle Marshall of Oakland has played a couple years in the NBA recently.  He's been with the Mavericks, Pacers and Suns.  The Suns waived him last October, and he hasn't been back to the NBA since.

Here are his career numbers: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/rawle_marshall/career_stats.html

Last year he played in Serbia, and put up pretty good numbers.  I'd imagine he will be back in the NBA at some point.    http://www.adriaticbasket.com/player.php?id=943

Isn't that where they picked up the 7 ft. big man from that they have? Could be a connection as there so often is.

Spurs: So what's an IUPUI, anyway?

Web Posted: 06/27/2008 11:16 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

NBA commissioner David Stern on Thursday: “The San Antonio Spurs select ... George Hill from IUPUI.”

First response from Spurs' fans: “Who?”

Second: “Where?”

It will be up to Hill to make his presence known with the Spurs. As for his alma mater ...

•What does that stand for? IUPUI stands for Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

•What's the deal with that? It is one of two IU-PU shared campuses; the other is IU-PU Fort Wayne. As the Indiana Alumni Magazine put it: “The state established shared campuses to avoid academic duplication and to economize on administration, but to still make it possible for both universities to provide degree programs in large (Indiana) cities.”

•IUPUI also is a palindrome, isn't it? Indeed. And, for what it's worth, it's informally pronounced "ooey-pooey."

•Is it even Division I? Yes. The Jaguars play in the Summit League, where they finished a game behind Oral Roberts.

Rest of the Story: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062808.4D.BKNspurs.iupui.3feb8aa.html

I don't know if I'd use the word "adopt" in relation to Hill, but I liked the way Hill played - not too flashy or dramatic, not dirty; he just went out and played hard.  Although we were yelling something at him during the ORU/IUPUI game at the Summit Championship over something he'd done - I don't remember what it was - he really was a clean player that I could respect (unlike Rawle Marshall, who taunted the crowd after Oakland beat ORU in the final a few years ago). 

I have no problem in wishing the guy well.  Hopefully he'll be just what San Antonio needs, and we'll be hearing his name a lot in the future.  Wouldn't THAT be something . . .

Tim, it was "push off, Push off"  which he does do.  That part of his game fits perfectly with the NBA. 

He'll do fine as a level two utility guard in the League.  They don't look at college stats and how they did in their conference as much as they look at body type, size, wingspan, athleticism, etc.

If Caleb had been two inches taller with a little more Ups he would have been a top 40 pick last year.

[Tim, it was "push off, Push off"  which he does do.  That part of his game fits perfectly with the NBA. 

He'll do fine as a level two utility guard in the League.  They don't look at college stats and how they did in their conference as much as they look at body type, size, wingspan, athleticism, etc.

If Caleb had been two inches taller with a little more Ups he would have been a top 40 pick last year.

I thought you would probably be able to remember it, Eddie.  I just couldn't quite remember . . . :roll:

On TV, it sounded like "Poo Shop."  :wink:

:-D :-D :-D

I laughed so hard at that that I'm sure some of my staff is wondering what's going on in my office!

On TV, it sounded like "Poo Shop."  :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Well, we passed out sheets to fans to make sure they yelled it but that's why we did the forearm extension along with the chant so most could tell what we were yelling. 

Hey we tried.  Who know's if Hill heard us but from the looks we got from Hunter and the other players on the bench, they heard it and lets just say, may not have cared for it much.

Now that's funny right there!  While I'm thinking about it, I posed a question on another thread that didn't get answered - is there a student section at BOTH goals?  Back in the old days, we were just at one end.