• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• darrenj

In about 30 days, Hill will be a millionaire, playing hoops with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker, and hanging out at parties with the likes of Eva Longoria.

Anybody think he made a bad decision going early now:-o

That's great for George.  Good luck to him!  I thought Indiana had expressed interest in him - I wonder what he thinks - or if he cares - that it was San Antonio that picked him.  Like OT pointed out, he'll be playing with some great teammates.

It proves again that playing in the Summit doesn't prevent you from being noticed by the NBA.  If you can play, they'll find you!

Great news!

It's great to see players like J.R. Giddens go after George Hill. I'm sure all Summit League fans are proud of him!

just saw that about GH and was shocked.  I thought mid-2nd round maybe to the Pacers.  That is great for the Summit.  Oh yes and not to bad for George either.

After the first round, the Summit League and C-USA each have the same number of draft picks as they had NCAA participants this past season:  one.

George definitely made the right decision.  I am shocked that he went in the first round and will have guaranteed money.  I think there were many better players than George Hill that were taken after him.  In addition to Chris-Douglas Roberts and JR Giddens who were already mentioned, Joey Dorsey, Darrell Arthur, Mario Chalmers, Sasha Kaun, Darnell Jackson, etc.  San Antonio must have really seen something in him that they were looking for.

Greg Kampe said, when asked about the benefit to the teams of the Summit League from having George Hill being drafted said that it will help Ron Hunter recruit.  He didn't  see any benefit for recruiting for the other teams in the Summit Leauge.  I guess I can see where he is coming from.

I can't see how there wouldn't be a benefit for other Summit League teams! My goodness, if someone can get into the NBA playing for IUPUI that gets no respect, why couldn't they get into the NBA playing for other coaches in the Summit who can get their teams into post-season play. Again, Ron Hunter is good, but he wasn't good enough to win the Summit tournament with an NBA player in his ranks.

George definitely made the right decision.  I am shocked that he went in the first round and will have guaranteed money.  I think there were many better players than George Hill that were taken after him.  In addition to Chris-Douglas Roberts and JR Giddens who were already mentioned, Joey Dorsey, Darrell Arthur, Mario Chalmers, Sasha Kaun, Darnell Jackson, etc.  San Antonio must have really seen something in him that they were looking for.

Obviously the last part of your statement is true ... the Spurs must see something in Hill they really like.  But I'd argue that you have to look at more than just "names."  Giddens has life issues (which the Spurs won't touch); Dorsey, Arthur, Kaun and Jackson all play different positions than Hill.  I could see the argument for Chalmers and Douglas-Roberts.  But since the brass at San Antonio have been doing this longer (and better) than any of us, there must be something about him that they feel projects better than the other two.  Plus, Chalmers and Douglas-Roberts didn't go til 34 and 40 ... meaning there was something every team that had a previous pick didn't like about those two.  Hill projects well at two positions, something never of those don't.

It's all about a team's needs and who they "fall in love" with.  Larry Brown admitted to doing that with Alexis Ajinca (their pick at #20).  Now is Ajinca the 20th best player in the draft?  Probably not, but the Bobcats didn't think he'd be there when they picked again at #38.  I'd guess the same goes for the Spurs.  They knew Hill wasn't necessarily a first round pick, but they knew someone would take him before they came back round at #45, so the snatched him up.

I'm not saying I would have drafted him there, but there's definitely a lot more that goes into this process than a bunch of guys "names."

I want to ask ask a question.

Why is George Hill picked in an NBA draft but Caleb Green is not?

I know people will say if you can play in the NBA you will make it.

But, didn't we think Caleb would get picked? (But who cares what WE think?)

I mean, Caleb had more post season experience and was POY three times in the Summit League.  Not too bad!

Plus, who would deny how great he was and became for ORU in the Summit League.

I know there are variables behind the scene we may not see but I can not figure out that one.

Also, Hill opted out of his last year of college basketball.  Did he know something we didn't?  From our perspective it may have been a big chance he took but he, from the Summit League, was a first round pick.

Some of the players from last years draft turned out to be lost causes (as some do).

If we are talking Summit League and the players--why is Hill drafted and Green not?

I'd like to know the answer. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for Hill and the Summit League. 

I guess I wanted to be glad for Caleb, too (I know, I'm an ORU alum so I'm biased).

I know we've talked a little about this topic on the board but it is still confusing to me.

Wow...went to bed early last night and just got up to see to see this. As a Spurs fan, I would have never guessed they would choose George Hill. I didn't think they'd pick him in the first round, and I didn't think he'd last until their second round pick but hey if that's the guy they want then I'm happy. We need a legit backup PG so hopefully George can be that...I'd love to end up rooting for him.

All you need to know about George Hill, the player the Spurs drafted in the first round of Thursday's NBA draft, is this: There was a celebration in the Spurs' draft night war room when the Houston Rockets made Frenchman Nicolas Batum the 25th selection of the first round, leaving Hill to the Spurs.

Anyone within a mile or two of the Spurs' practice facility, where the basketball operations staff gathered to make the picks, would have heard the groaning and cursing had the Rockets snatched the guard from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis from the Spurs' draft night grasp.

Hill, you see, is no loaf of bread. The Spurs have a recent history of picking first-rounders they have no intention of signing for a season or two. Popovich likens this to baking these prospects in an oven to make sure they're ready for the NBA.

Hill, who recently turned 22, requires no additional heat. Popovich, a discerning gourmet, believes his newest player is a perfectly risen soufflé.

Unless you are a fan of small college basketball, you probably hadn't heard of Hill when NBA commissioner David Stern announced the Spurs had picked him. But Hill will get a chance to be point guard Tony Parker's backup, and right away.

The term “impact player” is overused each draft season. The Spurs haven't even hinted they had drafted in impact player for the past seven years. The last pick they believed capable of making an immediate difference: Parker, in 2001.

Now, Popovich promises that Hill will make the Spurs better next season.

Sounds like Pop likes him!! Good enough for me!!

Don't feel too bad for Caleb.  He will get his opportunity to play one of these days.  He had a very good year overseas.  Check out his stats: http://statistik.basketball-bundesliga.de/bbl/stats/player/index.php?team=414&pos=&spieler_id=8266&saison=2007

My understanding is that he has already agreed to play on the Lakers summer team.  So we have something to look forward to in a few weeks.  I believe he'll be playing July 11-20. (http://www.nba.com/summerleague2008/)

Also, Larry Owens is suppose to be in Tulsa in a couple weeks.  He has a great situation overseas right now, but I think he may have some workouts with NBA teams this summer.

Check out Larry's stats from last year: http://www.b-all.be/basketball/2007-2008/team/1367/3066.php

Those two guys still have a chance to make it.

Hill, you see, is no loaf of bread. The Spurs have a recent history of picking first-rounders they have no intention of signing for a season or two. Popovich likens this to baking these prospects in an oven to make sure they're ready for the NBA.

Hill, who recently turned 22, requires no additional heat. Popovich, a discerning gourmet, believes his newest player is a perfectly risen soufflé.

Darrenj, were you by any chance hungry when you made this post?

I want to ask ask a question.

Why is George Hill picked in an NBA draft but Caleb Green is not?

I know people will say if you can play in the NBA you will make it.

But, didn't we think Caleb would get picked? (But who cares what WE think?)

I mean, Caleb had more post season experience and was POY three times in the Summit League.  Not too bad!

It's about size in the NBA, Hill with his long wingspan can be a solid point guard.  Caleb listed in at 6' 7" which would be a matchup problem against a lot of the 6'9 or 6'10" guys he would see on defense.  Caleb will still get a shot this summer.

It was pretty obvious last year when Caleb played against the Trailblazers that he will have difficulty rebounding against larger teams.  Caleb could be a good bench player providing energy and offense off the bench.  He just has to find the right situation.  I would think the Lakers would at least offer Caleb a spot on their NBDL team.  The Lakers have been the franchise most interested in Caleb since last year.  Hopefully a spot opens up on their roster so that Caleb can squeeze in for 08-09.

Ha! No this came from the SA paper as far as the quote goes. I'm just the worst on the computer so i just do the old copy and paste!

I am kinda hungry now though and wish i could get a couple of coney islanders!!