ORU vs IUPUI

vcboy2000

the king block that turned into a jarvis lay up, some of those fast breaks....

need to  be highlights on the front page.....

need...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Golden Boy

• Old Titan

the king block that turned into a jarvis lay up, some of those fast breaks....

need to  be highlights on the front page.....

need...

Yeah, I'll try to hook that up. I hope we see more of this...

6ob4oxl.gif

in the future. Nice to broadcast games on our station. Baseball would great on it. Especially away games!!!

Is it just me, or are we using KGEB more often than we have in the past to broadcast games? I am watching the game right now and we actually have commercials (that I assume we got paid for) as well as promotions for various ORU related events, etc (ORU Golden Eagle Club, Diamond Dinner, etc)

I think it is a great tool to promote our teams and school. I am glad we are re-thinking the sale of the TV station. It is a resource that has been tremendously underutilized (mismanaged?). That appears to be changing.

I'm going to count during the replay the number of fouls that got called on us IMMEDIATELY after Hill got his 4th.

The same grey haired ref called several in a row as he was standing next to Ron. 

He intimidated the heck out of them.   That much was obvious

Here's a little info on our officiating crew tonight:

The gray-haired official was Gerry Pollard, from Moscow Hills, MO.  He operates a camp for officiating every year over Fathers' Day weekend in Springfield, Mo, on the campus of MSU.  Last year he won the following:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) has announced that Gerry Pollard, the American Midwest Conference supervisor of men's basketball officials, has been named the recipient of the 2007 Larry Lady Officiating Award . . .

Pollard is an ambassador for the profession and demonstrates a dedication and love for basketball. He promotes the game as coordinator of the Gerry Pollard's Official's Camp and as an instructor at clinics for the Big 12 Conference, Conference USA Sunbelt, Western Athletic Conference and Horizon camps. Pollard travels Missouri, Illinois and Arkansas as supervisor of officials for the AMC and National Junior College Athletic Association. In the last ten years Pollard has been active at the NAIA Division I Men's Basketball National Championship, NIT Tournament and NCAA Tournament advancing to the Sweet 16 in 2005.

pollard_larryladyaward.jpg

Counting tonight, Pollard has officiated 42 D-I games already this season.  On January 9 he officiated a game between Memphis and East Carolina with the notable crew members of Ed Hightower and Steve Welmer.

The official with the crew cut was Kelly Self, from Hugo, OK.  He officiated the TU game last night in addition to tonight's game.  In fact, this season he has officiated thirty eight games.  He's done a video on officiating with another guy named Mark Whitehead called The Nuts and Bolts of College Officiating, that you can view clips of here.

The third ref was listed as Quinn Crozier, from Fresno, CA.  I am certain that he is the same guy that officiated the Mid-Con Tournament Championship game a couple years back, the one we lost to Oakland.  The only thing is, that guy was listed as Anthony Crozier.  Unless their twins, I think it's the same person.  The Summit Media guide only lists Quinn as working for the conference.  If so, he's worked a total of 21 games, about half of which for the Summit League.

The white haired ref was terrible. Just watched the Adam Liberty technical.... I don't get it. Hill is walking away and Liberty is saying something (to no one in particular) while taking his mouthguard out. That ref came in and made the call.

I've decided I'm going to quit ragging on officiating - I know, it's hard to believe :-o - but it is what it is.  It is always frustrating, and it will always be frustrating.  It is infuriatingly subjective, as we saw last night.  The first half of last night's game was officiated perfectly.  I told the buddy I was with that a couple of times during the first half.  But after the phantom fourth foul on George Hill, they were calling fouls on us if we even breathed on an IUPUI player.  At one point I think we had ten fouls called on us in the second half to IUPUI's three.  That is not objective officiating.  It completely altered the flow of the game at that point.

I say all of that to comment on this often heard claim - this particular one comes from a recent discussion of Summit League officiating on the SDSU board:

So your saying we won because of the officiating, in that they affected the outcome of the game. I say that's ridiculous. No official has ever determined the outcome of the game.

I've heard that same idea many times, and it's simply not true.  It's as silly as saying having your top scorer on the bench with the flu won't effect the outcome of a game.  External factors DO affect the outcome, and officiating is an external factor.  I've never really understood the logic behind the above statement - I suppose the idea is that if you play hard, make your baskets, play tough defense, get rebounds, limit turnovers, etc., that you win the game regardless of the officials.  The only problem with that logic is that the other team is trying to do the same thing.  If two teams are very evenly matched, as last night's were, then any external influence is likely to influence the game. 

At the very least, refs can control tempo, game flow, even scoring, and as we saw in the SDSU/Oakland game, a bad call in the final seconds of a game CAN affect the outcome.

I ask for only one thing in officiating, and that's consistency.  Consistency from game to game, consistency against both teams, consistency from one half to the next, consistency within a half. 

Am I expecting too much?

It seems like ever conference game that I go to has consistently inconsistent officiating from the first half to the second.  They always let them play in the first half and then call fouls for breathing on people in the second half.  It drives me crazy and really damages the basketball product for the fans. 

I expect bad officiating, but last night was simply awful.  The gray haired ref seemed to have it out for us in the second half. 

BTW, is a moving pick not a foul anymore?  IUPUI run blocks better than the Sooners football team.

BTW, is a moving pick not a foul anymore?  IUPUI run blocks better than the Sooners football team.

I saw the same thing.  As the guy was coming across to take advantage of the screen, the player setting the screen was moving in the way of the person attempting to switch to take out both defenders (instead of rolling off in the opposite direction that you normally see).  I screamed out more times than I can remember that the ref needed to call the moving screen, but obviously to no avail!!  :x

Here's a little info on our officiating crew tonight:

The gray-haired official was Gerry Pollard, from Moscow Hills, MO.  He operates a camp for officiating every year over Fathers' Day weekend in Springfield, Mo, on the campus of MSU.  Last year he won the following:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) has announced that Gerry Pollard, the American Midwest Conference supervisor of men's basketball officials, has been named the recipient of the 2007 Larry Lady Officiating Award . . .

Pollard is an ambassador for the profession and demonstrates a dedication and love for basketball. He promotes the game as coordinator of the Gerry Pollard's Official's Camp and as an instructor at clinics for the Big 12 Conference, Conference USA Sunbelt, Western Athletic Conference and Horizon camps. Pollard travels Missouri, Illinois and Arkansas as supervisor of officials for the AMC and National Junior College Athletic Association. In the last ten years Pollard has been active at the NAIA Division I Men's Basketball National Championship, NIT Tournament and NCAA Tournament advancing to the Sweet 16 in 2005.

pollard_larryladyaward.jpg

Counting tonight, Pollard has officiated 42 D-I games already this season.  On January 9 he officiated a game between Memphis and East Carolina with the notable crew members of Ed Hightower and Steve Welmer.

The official with the crew cut was Kelly Self, from Hugo, OK.  He officiated the TU game last night in addition to tonight's game.  In fact, this season he has officiated thirty eight games.  He's done a video on officiating with another guy named Mark Whitehead called The Nuts and Bolts of College Officiating, that you can view clips of here.

The third ref was listed as Quinn Crozier, from Fresno, CA.  I am certain that he is the same guy that officiated the Mid-Con Tournament Championship game a couple years back, the one we lost to Oakland.  The only thing is, that guy was listed as Anthony Crozier.  Unless their twins, I think it's the same person.  The Summit Media guide only lists Quinn as working for the conference.  If so, he's worked a total of 21 games, about half of which for the Summit League.

A very typical nice find by you TMH...well done!  Gerry's actually a terrific guy as is Kelly Self.  Whitehead worked the TU/Tulane game on Wednesday night along with Self and a frequent Final Four official, Ted Hillary.  I've heard a lot of whining about the officiating last night from fans, coaches and media types but frankly I felt like that was as good of a crew as we'll see at the Mabee Center for a Summit League game this season.  Bottom line, we had more FT attempts than the visitors (22 to 19) and IUPUI was whistled for more fouls (17 to our 15).  There were no whistles in the final minute of play when there was quite a bit of contact on the floor which worked to our advantage...no ticky tack foul calls, they just let the kids play the game.  We won both times (when I watched it 'live' in person and when I re-watched it on KGEB last night when I got home)...so no complaints from me.

Some highlights from last night...

(1) In honor of the absent "Voice" of the Mabee Center, "VEALY FOR ONE, TWO, THREE!!!"  5-5 FG and several good hustle plays from MV...we do NOT win last night without him.  Second game in a row he's stepped up and hit a HUGE 3pt FG in the second half of a tight game...glad he still has confidence to pull the trigger from behind the arc!  8-)

(2) Jarvis...continues to amaze with his cavalier mindset when the ball's in his hands...excellent offensive production AND a couple of nice rebounds...only constructive thing I can say to RJ is get a haircut!  :mrgreen:

(3) Mike Carter was on Mart Green's right ear tighter than Ogunoye was on Hill last night...look for Mart to be sporting some official ORU basketball gear sometime soon!  :-D

(4) Excellent student attendance...a younger audience always makes for a more lively atmosphere...nice work guys! 

(5) Best crowd of the year...well done Mike Minyard!

I don't care how many Final Four's Pollard has called, attended, or TiVo'd - his technical foul on Adam Liberty was bush-league, and completely changed the complexion of the game.

He totally showed up Self, who was already "on the scene" and handling the situation, if there even was one - replays showed nothing was said between the players.

A better referee would have diffused the situation diplomatically, especially considering how close the game was, and how well-behaved the players had been the whole time.

It was a grandstand play - reminded me of former Missouri Valley and Big Eight referee Ron Spitler, who lived to call T's, and often instigated them by baiting coaches and players.

I thought the first half was officiated very consistently. The second half was very inconsistent, which changed the style of the game completely. Is it just me or does this happen in EVERY Summit game?

I thought the first half was officiated very consistently. The second half was very inconsistent, which changed the style of the game completely. Is it just me or does this happen in EVERY Summit game?

Tough call on Hill puts him on the bench with four fouls less than half-way through the second half.  Tough call with the "back-to-back" calls (personal + the technical/personal foul) on Liberty for his third and fourth fouls when he got tangled up with Hill several minutes later upon Hill's return to the game.  Again, fouls were pretty even for the game (17 on them, only 15 on us) and we shot 22 to their 19 FTs for the game.  Inconsistent? Yes, I'd say consistently so.  :-D

Hill was pushing off and hooking to gain advantage most of the evening because he could not separate himself from Yemi. On the long rebound off Jarvis' missed 3 pointer, he clearly pushed Robert to gain an advantage. No call.  You can't count fouls and tally them up to prove whether a referee has done his job or not. Unfortunately, I think that is what the refs were doing last night and thus the inconsistent calls. Pollard was bush. Maybe he just had a bad night. Or is just overworked.

I hear you, Terry...but on the long rebound there isn't a good official anywhere that's going to make that call because it was a "physical play" both ways (Hill may have been positioning to gain possession of the ball but Jarvis wasn't backing away from the contact either).  Loose ball situations are often left on the court for the players to make plays late in the game which I think is way it should be.  To me "play on" is a much better situation than the alternative, a double foul/jump ball possession arrow situation which was the "most fair" whistle in that situation if one were to be blown.

To your final point, ALL these guys are OVER WORKED AND OVER PAID!!!  No way they can be "fresh" every night when they are traveling and working so many games week after week, especially after conference play begins for everyone in January.

Some highlights from last night...

(3) Mike Carter was on Mart Green's right ear tighter than Ogunoye was on Hill last night...look for Mart to be sporting some official ORU basketball gear sometime soon!    :-D

(

I hope we can find some monogrammed green shirts for him someplace!  Quick!

:-D