ORU vs IUPUI

vcboy2000

This game is HUGE!!!!! I don't think we can say that enough. Thursday's atmosphere at the Mabee will be "play-off like" in nature. The fans will be pumped. You know the players will be excited. We should really get to see a great game. Winning against Oakland really helps this weeks game keep the luster of the #1 vs #2 matchup that the game was built up on. Really push that email that we all got from Mike. The fact that both teams are still undefeated, and have electric players like Jarvis and Hill will make this a fun game to see even for the casual observer. I was happy to know that one of the guys I sent the email to purchased tickets for his whole family. They're relatively new to the area, and have never been to an ORU game. He said his son in particular is really excited. Now, on to business.

My keys to the game:

1. Scott's formula for winning games this year will be no different on Thursday. Our guys have got to take pride in stopping whoever IUPUI puts out on the floor. Let's go YEMI!!!!!!!

2. Shoot like we're at home. We always seem to shoot better on Mabee Center rims. If Jarvis and Moses can hit their open looks, I think Lewis and King can get loose and who knows what could happen. We could see a lead open up like we saw against TU this year.

3. Take advantage of our home cooking by hitting our free-throws. I've heard Scott say that the road to the Championship begins with protecting your home court. A blow-out would be great, but I'm not expecting it. We've got to hit our freethrows, especially down the stretch.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Golden Boy

• Old Titan

3. Take advantage of our home cooking by hitting our free-throws. I've heard Scott say that the road to the Championship begins with protecting your home court. A blow-out would be great, but I'm not expecting it. We've got to hit our freethrows, especially down the stretch.

Great post, VCB,  but I'm not holding my breath on that home cooking deal :roll: . . .

I watched a few IUPUI games today (bored and my NFL team is out of the playoffs) and these Jags are one of the best free throw shootings teams I have ever seen, both at getting fouled and hitting the FT's.  Our inside boys are going to have to be smart and conscious about when they foul and who they foul.  All of them can shoot, but others are the noticeably elite.  I think our inside game-outside punch with our defensive efforts can put this game away, but if these guys start getting alot of calls,  watch out.

From the Argus Leader, after IUPUi's win last week over SDSU:

"It's been like that all year," Hunter said. "We get everybody's best shot early, because we're the preseason favorite and we're playing well right now. We have eight guys in our program that are 22 or older, so they've been through the wars."

Hmmmm . . .

My thoughts on the game tonight are on the front page (ORUSports.com).... for what it is worth.

Here's another Hunterism that is ripe with meaning (from ESPN) - regarding George Hill:

"He definitely makes me a better coach," said Hunter. "All those plays I'm running now are the same I ran last year. They didn't work as good then."

The dilemma of every coach.  When the ball goes in the hoop, you're a good coach.  When it doesn't, your a bad coach.  Last night Ben Uzoh had an off night, therefore Doug Wojcik is a bad coach.  Had Uzoh had a stellar night, Wojcik would have been a good coach, and today, instead of calling for his head, they'd be singing his praises.  Such is the life of a head coach.

Good players make good coaches.....

Anyone notice that Texas Tech beat Texas A&M last night in Lubbock? I watched part of the game and I think the announcers said that the Aggies had only played one other game away from College Station this whole year. wonder if that was such a smart move by Coach Turgeon? Looks like his team had trouble adjusting to the road.

Some of the things to watch for tonight:

How do we guard George Hill? Does Yemi stay on him all night or do we switch to a zone at times to prevent dribble penetration? This team is very balanced and talented. We can't just focus on Hill because the other guys can score too. (Hill leads the team in scoring and assists - and also rebounding.)

How do we adjust to their 'match-up' zone defense? It is not a passive zone - they guard the perimeter and trap out of it too.

Do we play 'small' or stay with our big guys (King and Lewis)?

From looking at IUPUI's schedule, I just don't think they've seen too many frontcourts that can score like King, Lewis and Vealy.

If we can get the ball inside and convert, either in the paint or from the line, I like our chances.

Officiating is going to be a huge factor tonight, since this should be a low-scoring, physical game.  Curious to see how they call it - my guess is they will be typically whistle-happy, and our depth could prove to be the winning edge.

You beat me to it OT.  They've no idea how to defend our bigs.

If they DO double team, we've got to make the open threes like against NDSU & SDSU.

Hill has to Yemitized.

Our other defenders HAVE to stay on their guys b/c Hill can dish, but he is the key.

Terry, no way we play much zone.  Did you forget who our coach is?

We have to go big and make them adjust to us, not the other way around.

Huge game boys & girls.  Scream your lungs out.  OH, and remember to consistently remind Ron Hunter to stay off the court.

Interesting quote by Ron Hunter at the end of the TW story today: "We haven't really played many close games". That has has a lot to do with a pretty easy schedule: three non-DI's, two first-year DI's and a bunch of home games. ORU, on the other hand, has excelled of late in close games.

Their schedule has been pretty week. I'd like to think we're a good bit tougher and more prepared for them than they will be for us.

I agree with your assessment about how the game is called tonight. Our overall depth could come into play if it is called tightly. Just hope we make our free throws.

Officiating is going to be a huge factor tonight, since this should be a low-scoring, physical game.  Curious to see how they call it - my guess is they will be typically whistle-happy, and our depth could prove to be the winning edge.

I believe why we're ahead of IUPUI in RPI but they're ahead of us in most other rating systems is that IUPUI has been very successful in running up the score in games that they've won, and keeping games close that they've lost.  Most of the rating systems other than RPI have some sort of point differential element to them.  With so many blowout games (six, according to statsheet.com) it gives them the edge.  It kind of goes back to voice's concern about killer instinct - I think IUPUI's got it.  Because the way we run our offense doesn't lend itself as well to blowouts, as well as the fact that I don't think Scott Sutton places much value in them, it holds us back in the ratings.  

I think it will be interesting to see how IUPUI responds to a low scoring, tough defense game.

Tidbits:

Jarvis is shooting an astounding 59.1% from the 3-point line in conference play. Patterson is shooting 46.2% and Montgomery is at 45.8%. Can't leave them open.

The Jags have three players shooting over 50% in field goal percentage:

Pettiford:  61.8%

Avery:  60.0%

Hill:  56.3%

Shawn King is shooting 59.6%.

Here is the projected lineup for IUPUI:

Conner:  6'5"

Pettiford:  6'7"

Montgomery:  6'5"

Hill:  6'2"

Patterson:  5'10"