ORU vs IUPUI

vcboy2000

This may be the first season in my memory that we have the athletes it takes to be able to extend our perimeter defense out to handle those guys.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Golden Boy

• Old Titan

I watched George Hill play against Yemi 2 years ago at IUPUI. There was no stopping Hill. We must have a answer for Hill if there is one. He is an exceptional player.

Maybe you don't (can't?) stop Hill, but don't allow the other players to beat you.... it will be interesting to see what happens.

I watched George Hill play against Yemi 2 years ago at IUPUI. There was no stopping Hill. We must have a answer for Hill if there is one. He is an exceptional player.

I'd say, Doc, that Yemi is a better defender than he was two years ago.  Of course, Hill hasn't been sitting still since then either :roll: . . .

I say let him have his 25 if that's what he earns, and stop the other four on the floor.

We can't afford to get "paralysis by analysis" trying to stop just one guy, like we did with Jaycee Carroll on the perimeter at Utah State, while the bigs went crazy in the lane.

Are there any phrases anyone would like to see up on our new whiteboard (courtesy of mr. Minyard) during the game?

I already know "Get off the court Ron!" will be requested.

Bow to the KING!  (of course after shawn swats one away)

Prepare to be YEMI-tized!

Robert Jarvis -  "Locked" and Loaded

Sweet land of LIBERTY!

of course get some things for our own crowd to Really get into the game. 

there's a couple of ideas

IUPUI's 12-3 record is deceptive because they have played a very weak schedule.  The only type of player that Yemi has a little difficulty guarding is a very quick shorter player who can blow by him (like some of the Chicago State guards from a couple years ago).  I can't remember if George Hill has that type of speed, since it has been a couple years since we have seen him here at ORU, but that could be a concern if Yemi is guarding him.  Certainly we would have a significant height advantage in that matchup.

If the refs call it close, I think that will definitely work against us due to our lower FT shooting % and our lack of low-post defensive depth behind Marcus, Shawn, and Yemi.

This is a perfect game for Marchello to shine.  He made some strong contributions in the Oakland game, and his height and athleticism would be perfect for guarding the 6'5" to 6'7" forwards that IUPUI brings in to town.  Against their lineup, Marchello could help with rebounding as well, and will probably be needed to spell our big guys.  I hope Marchello brings it tonight!!

Because of their ability to shoot the 3, we will have to guard all the way out to the perimeter, so we will need sound defense all the way around to prevent easy drives and back door cuts to the basket.  I think we will be up to the challenge.  Shawn and Marcus could put up a lot of points tonight...

Here is the projected lineup for IUPUI:

Conner:   6'5"

Pettiford:  6'7"

Montgomery:  6'5"

Hill:   6'2"

Patterson:  5'10"

Wow. The tallest guy in the starting five is 6'7"! Looks like we really need to just pound it down low to King and Lewis and let them take care of it.

Are there any phrases anyone would like to see up on our new whiteboard (courtesy of mr. Minyard) during the game?

I already know "Get off the court Ron!" will be requested.

When Yemi shuts someone down, post:  "The Yemi-nator!!"

I'm going to count during the replay the number of fouls that got called on us IMMEDIATELY after Hill got his 4th.

The same grey haired ref called several in a row as he was standing next to Ron. 

He intimidated the heck out of them.  That much was obvious

meatloaf just saw himself on it when king blocked that shot at the end of the half... and got happy :-)