RPI Discussion

ORUTerry

I can't believe this!  I just checked Ken Pomeroy's site, looking over the RPI landscape, and do you know who's at #73?

Stephen F. Austin!

That is my most despised team in D-I!  How did they end up ahead of us???  Coach Sutton, respectfully, we've got to DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• ORU_Ed

• Old Titan

TMH, they are 12-1 with the only loss @ Texas Tech. They beat OU in Norman.

ash  =o)

I guess they deserve it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it :-P!

realtimerpi up to 65.  i would guess this may be as high as we get w/conference season fully upon us (IPFW - #271 up next).  none the less, it's quite impressive.  goes to show the importance of a tough non-conference schedule.

61   VA Commonwealth

62   Wright St.

63   CSU Northridge

64   Virginia

65   Oral Roberts

66   Texas Tech

67   South Florida

68   Southern Ill.

69   California

70   Stephen F. Austin

summit league:

65   Oral Roberts

108 IUPUI

164 Oakland

171 North Dakota St

193 Centenary

251 Southern Utah

271 IPFW

288 Western Ill.

295 South Dakota St

317 Mizzou KC

link:

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Sweet!  Earlier in the day we were at 71 on both Pomeroy and realtimeRPI.com.  Apparently realtimeRPI.com updates the night of the games rather than waiting till the next morning, like Pomeroy.  Good to know, if you're wanting to know where we stand ASAP.

goes to show the importance of a tough non-conference schedule.

And the importance of winning the games.  I think we would be in the top 40 if we didn't lose to TAMU-CC... maybe even the top 30.  RPI is more about not having bad losses than beating good teams.

And the importance of winning the games.  I think we would be in the top 40 if we didn't lose to TAMU-CC... maybe even the top 30.  RPI is more about not having bad losses than beating good teams.

great point Mike it seems there is a loss every year that is an rpi drag that you can look back and say what if.  the team was still finding it's identity and were w/out vealy. 

great credit go to coach sutton and mike carter for the schedule.  of course the team has to perform well, but it seems they have figured out how to schedule to get ORU ready for conference play and with a respectable rpi if they play well.  add to that a nationally and a regionally televised game which is great for recruiting.  i still think this team is way ahead of schedule.  look out if curtis allen can emerge as a game in and game out threat off the bench.  it would give sutton yet another option.

It wold be nice to see Curtis Allen come off the bench and provide some quality minutes. I am still waiting for Marchello to ignite.... watch out if he does.

Sure hope we have a strategy concerning the two youngsters on the bench who are not getting playing time. Would hate to lose this year of eligibility. I know they are learning a lot in practice, but it would be nice to have them on the squad four years from now with the added maturity. Nice to have the depth though. You never know what will happen.

It's amazing to me how victories by teams we have beaten boost our RPI so dramatically.

TU and Lamar both won last night, and our RPI improves several points without us having to lace the shoes up at all.

Would be nice for TU and OSU to go on some serious winning streaks, and knock off a heavyweight or two in their respective leagues... :-D

Would be nice for TU and OSU to go on some serious winning streaks, and knock off a heavyweight or two in their respective leagues... :-D

Should we interpret the  :-D as a "yeah, right"?

Should we interpret the  :-D as a "yeah, right"?

Oh, no, no, no - totally sincere.

It means, "Wouldn't that be sweet?"

We not only want the teams we've played to now do well but their opponents as well.  We'll get a boost after we beat Oakland on the road and Oregon keeps winning.  Also, Texas even playing Michigan State, Kansas, A&M, etc.  helps us as well as TU against Memphis.  See the generalized formula for RPI.

The basic RPI formula is 1/4*(Winning Percentage) + 1/2*(Opponents' Average Winning Percentage) + 1/4*(Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage)

That's why playing Big12 and SEC teams pays off even more once conference season starts

The basic RPI formula is 1/4*(Winning Percentage) + 1/2*(Opponents' Average Winning Percentage) + 1/4*(Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage)

That's why playing Big12 and SEC teams pays off even more once conference season starts

That's also why it takes a stinking computer to come up with those silly numbers :-o!

future opponents' current RPI & others that have helped

A&M - 175,65,81,59,134,10,36,142,113,134,10,125,65,36,59,11  (already played 16, 13)

Texas - 113,175,134,65,22,59,36,142,11,59,22,36,81,65,125,134 (already played 4, 3, 14, 5, 19)

OSU -  65,59,142,10,22,36,65,175,81,59,22,11,113,125,36,10 (already played 9, 26)

Ark -  173,85,149,185,177,127,95,20,4,127,177,212,85,6,20,173 (already played 33, 36, 61)

I figure that anything under 100 is more of a help than a hindrance.

Our opponents' have a 90-67 record so far.  Not counting SWOSU since they're not ranked. 

We need the 4 above to have very good records as the season progresses.

Sorry, I'm getting stat happy since there haven't been any games.

Look how Scott and Mike Carter have not only improved the team in terms of wins & losses but look at how the schedule strength increases have helped our RPI and then in turn our national image as a program.

Year      Record      RPI

2000      12-17      258

2001        7-19        258

2002      17-13      166

2003      17-10      170

2004      15-11      157

2005        24-7        92

2006      20-11      130

2007      22-10      87

2008        7-5          64 

Only games that counted in the RPI formula are listed.  Actual records for each season may differ slightly.

Sorry, I'm getting stat happy since there haven't been any games.

Look how Scott and Mike Carter have not only improved the team in terms of wins & losses but look at how the schedule strength increases have helped our RPI and then in turn our national image as a program.

Year       Record      RPI

2000       12-17       258

2001        7-19        258

2002       17-13       166

2003       17-10       170

2004       15-11       157

2005        24-7        92

2006       20-11       130

2007       22-10       87

2008        7-5          64 

Only games that counted in the RPI formula are listed.  Actual records for each season may differ slightly.

Ed gets the award for stat of the day, made my day to look at this.... and this year was scheduled greatly and i think that Texas will win the Big 12 and OSU will fall off.... as for Arkansas it seems that anything can happen in the SEC just ask Bama what happened last night....

Ed gets the award for stat of the day, made my day to look at this.... and this year was scheduled greatly and i think that Texas will win the Big 12 and OSU will fall off.... as for Arkansas it seems that anything can happen in the SEC just ask Bama what happened last night....

I'm starting to think everybody is right about the Cowboys. I hope not. We need them to start winning some games.

And speaking of the RPI here is an interview with MVC commissioner Doug Elgin. The man who has taken figured out how to beat the RPI via the agreement to upgrade schedules. I found this quote to particularly interesting...

But what we've proven as a league in the last few years is that your conference RPI is heavily dependent on the strength of the bottom half of your conference. If you look at the last there years in particular, we had extremely strong teams at the bottom.

Read the rest.