• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• ORU_Ed

• Old Titan

Wow!  That's a nice jump considering we were idle.  After Friday's games we hadn't changed, so we went from 97 to 72 base on the wins of our opponents yesterday.  That's great!

I don't remember us having this high of an RPI this late in the season in recent years - and I don't remember the Mid-Con/Summit EVER being 15 this late.  That's a good job on the part of all the Summit League teams.  Maybe Tom Douple's efforts to improve the image and status of the league are working.

Wow!  That's a nice jump considering we were idle.  After Friday's games we hadn't changed, so we went from 97 to 72 base on the wins of our opponents yesterday.  That's great!

The Pomeroy and RPI rating systems are different.  The RPI rating system has us at 86, which is a nice improvement from #97 for not playing any games, but is not as elevated as Pomeroy's rating.  The RPI also still has the League at #18, with ORU the only sub-100 team on the list.  The win by OU over UO only brought their RPI rating to 194 (while Oregon dropped to #69).  The loss to SUU (#295) certainly hasn't helped Oakland's standing in the RPI.

I guess the good news is that we don't have any Summit League teams higher than #300 in the RPI rankings (is that good news?).

The Pomeroy and RPI rating systems are different.  The RPI rating system has us at 86, which is a nice improvement from #97 for not playing any games, but is not as elevated as Pomeroy's rating.  The RPI also still has the League at #18, with ORU the only sub-100 team on the list.  The win by OU over UO only brought their RPI rating to 194 (while Oregon dropped to #69).  The loss to SUU (#295) certainly hasn't helped Oakland's standing in the RPI.

I guess the good news is that we don't have any Summit League teams higher than #300 in the RPI rankings (is that good news?).

I regonize the difference; however, I didn't have time to check the numbers personally, and was going by the fact that the title of Terry's post said "RPI".   Either way, at this point we're actually ahead of where we ended last season, and, considering that this is the first year in the post- Tutt/Green era that's a good thing :-)!

Either way, at this point we're actually ahead of where we ended last season, and, considering that this is the first year in the post-Tutt/Green era that's a good thing :-)!

Totally agree, TMH!!  If someone had told me at the beginning of the season that we would be at a sub-100 ranking (RPI, Pomeroy, or otherwise) at Christmas, I would have laughed (among other things)!  Very nice job that the players and coaches have done up to this point.  I hope that the Christmas holidays do not change their focus.

The jump from 97 to 86 is great.  That's what happens when you play very high RPI teams (Texas, A&M) and also go beat good teams that in turn win (Tulsa, OSU).

We of course want the teams we've played already to keep winning.  If we had won against A&M CC we'd be in the 70's.  Road wins count a lot in this RPI stuff so a win at USU would be huge.  That is a tall task however. 

All of these numbers can get confusing.

Here it is in English:

ORU:  better than expected (beat Tulsa, OSU; played Texas & Arkansas tough)

IUPUI:  as good as expected (beat UMass, played Marquette tough)

Oakland:  as good as expected (beat #21 Oregon, played Michigan State tough)

North Dakota State:  as good as expected (beat Colorado State, played Florida tough)

South Dakota State:  better than expected (beat Northern Iowa, played Minnesota tough)

Centenary:  better than expected (beat Texas Tech)

UMKC:  better than expected (beat Wichita State with new player that became eligible at semester)

Western Illinois, Southern Utah, IPFW:  about what we thought they were, but no worse.

Result:  Summit League much better than expected.  :-D

Wait just one sec

All of these numbers can get confusing.

Here it is in English:

ORU:  better than expected (beat Tulsa, OSU; played Texas & Arkansas tough)

IUPUI:  as good as expected (beat UMass, played Marquette tough)

Oakland:  as good as expected (beat #21 Oregon, played Michigan State tough)

North Dakota State:  as good as expected (beat Colorado State, played Florida tough)

South Dakota State:  better than expected (beat Northern Iowa, played Minnesota tough)

Centenary:  better than expected (beat Texas Tech)

UMKC:  better than expected (beat Wichita State with new player that became eligible at semester)

Western Illinois, Southern Utah, IPFW:  about what we thought they were, but no worse.

Result:  Summit League much better than expected.   :-D

Wait a second! This couldn't be the beginning of the Summit Plan coming to fruition could it?

Yeah, that's a great site.  It would be good to print that screen today and see where we are at near the end of the season - test how good his statistical model works.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the non-conference schedule is pretty much over for most Summit League teams (except for bracket buster), here is an RPI update for all Summit teams.  Also, according to this site, the Summit League is currently ranked 23rd out of 32, but it doesn't look like there is much difference in rating points from the 15th rated conference to the 23rd rated conference.  There could definitely be some upward movement for the Summit League if the right non-conference foes keep winning.

Interestingly, the Horizon league is ranked 9th out of 32 conferences and Valpo has an RPI of 36, with a D-1 record of 9-4.  Did they get a whole new team???  They were decent last year, but I didn't expect them to be doing this well coming into a new conference.  I guess Homer is working some miracles of his own....  I agree that the Mid-Con is probably a 3-horse race, and Centenary would be a 4th dark-horse...

RPI Rk  Summit  Conf  All  RPI  SOS Rk  SOS 

74  Oral Roberts 3-0   7-5  0.5653 75  0.5384

107  IUPUI 3-0   8-3  0.5381 273  0.4590

159  Oakland 3-1   6-7  0.5052 144  0.5098

177  North Dakota St 2-2   6-7  0.4970 202  0.4865

196  Centenary 1-2   6-8  0.4794 213  0.4836

250  Southern Utah 2-2   4-10  0.4438 212  0.4837

271  IPFW 2-2   3-10  0.4333 150  0.5080

287  Western Ill. 1-2   4-8  0.4194 312  0.4311

297  South Dakota St 1-3   5-9  0.4116 296  0.4396

317  Mizzou KC 0-4   3-11  0.3936 238  0.4730

Last time I checked (which was only a few days ago) we were at 97. I'm surprised at our 23 spot jump.  A loss at Centenary would have been bad at several levels, but it wasn't a good enough win to give us that sort of a jump.  It's got to be coming from our OOC schedule. 

Whatever the reason, I love seeing our number that high (or is it low - I always forget).