• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• OKC Eagle

• ORU_Ed

• jazzo711

I have attended all but 2 of the ORU/TU games since 1974?s dramatic first game.  The first years were dramatic and memorable ? and fans on both sides lived every shot and the exciting conclusions.  During the Jim King era at TU, it lost some of its sizzle because TU was grossly overmatched by ORU.  In the Nolan Richardson era that reversed itself.  In the early years of Nolan?s teams the games were dramatic and exciting, and the TU fans were ready for a chance to beat-up on ORU after several years of being beaten so badly.  The fan behavior was not becoming of Tulsa University.

During the Nolan years, the TU crowds/fans got particularly brutal, and ?sportsmanship? was not a part of their demeanor.  ORU fans stopped going to the Convention Center to watch, because the atmosphere was so negative, abusive and cruel.  It was their time to ?get back? and show everyone who the best team in town was. 

Over the last decade, with Self, Hinson and Sutton, the games have gotten more competitive, and although everyone says it is better now that in the 80?s ? my personal experience is that no matter what people say, TU fans don?t want to lose this game ? period!    There will be some ?classless behavior? tonight.  Hopefully a solid game by ORU will keep the TU fans in their seats most of the game.

It?s interesting to me that on the day that the TU athletic department is petitioning their conference for punishment of Rice University for their classless halftime performance last Saturday, we will likely see some evidence of that ourselves ? albeit not anything like it would be if the game were held at the Reynolds Center.  Now that would be ugly!  For a school like TU, with its prestige and scholarly traditions ? you would think that there would not be as much of the juvenile, unsportsmen-like behavior that I have seen so often over the last 30 years in this rivalry game.

My prediction ? Competitive in the first half with ORU up by 4 at halftime.  Game ends with ORU up by 9, and it?s not suspenseful during the last minute!

Very good post.

Let's hope that tonight, in light of what's going on off the court with ORU, we can all put our best face forward and show the entire city that ORU is doing just FINE, thank you very much...  8-)

I'll second that.

-After watching the Lamar game on Sat., I'm convinced M-Dot will impose his will down low.

-A&M, A&M-CC, ULL, and Lamar were games that each taught our team something about discipline, apathy and finding a way to win. Especially the Lamar game. It's easy to find the adrenaline to play in games like KU. Not so easy in a game like the one in Beaumont, that place was basically a morgue except when the home team made a run. Finding a way to win on the road when they have you down (twice), no matter who the opponent, builds a lot of confidence.

-First 'road' game for TU this season, and without a starting PG.

ORU 71, TU 62

I got an Eli decal for my face - does that count?

You bet mom.  Anything to get "superfandom" going at the Mabee Center is a plus. 

By the way,

Maniacs should do a pre-game face painting for kids and adults alike before bigger games (i.e. Oakland, NDSU, IUPUI, Bracket Buster, TU, & others).    Mike M.  do you think that could be something that would be allowed?  You know there would be people who would do it, especially if it didn't cost or cost very little to have done. 

This is a game we should definitely win at home.  I just hope we don't overlook TU - always a danger when you have a weaker team sandwiched between nationally televised ESPN games against A&M and OSU, with another big game at top-10 Texas coming up also.  Add the grinding pace that Wojcik likes to play and we may have trouble staying awake.

Okay, so the Eagles will probably maintain their focus.  I'll say ORU 64, TU 58.

Oh, and be sure not to say anything mean about TU or their coach, or they'll report you to the NCAA - just ask Rice.

Oh, and be sure not to say anything mean about TU or their coach, or they'll report you to the NCAA - just ask Rice.

I heard the audio.  It WAS pretty tasteless.

Kind of reminds me of some things I've heard when this game has been at 11th and Harvard. 

The Maniacs should encourage youngsters to become 'mini-Maniacs'

Either that or "Mani Miniacs" ... oh yeah, and ORU by 14 is my prediction. :-D

Not all of them, but yes some will be classless in their chants and rants.

Too bad this prediction came to fruition.  I thought I was listening to a group of Jr. High kids during the game.  This was nothing different from what Rice did to TU on Saturday (except that the TU administration didn't "authorize" the chant like Rice's did).  Creativity is fine, but some non-sports related chant at a sporting venue is pretty classless.

I had the 14 point spread right, but was 7 points too low.

I heard the TU students chanting something that I was sure was not bball related  :roll: but could not understand it.

The TU folks sitting behind me were very annoying when TU was ahead early.  For some reason, I did not hear much from them the rest of the game. :?

I had the 14 point spread right, but was 7 points too low.

I heard the TU students chanting something that I was sure was not bball related  :roll: but could not understand it.

The TU folks sitting behind me were very annoying when TU was ahead early.  For some reason, I did not hear much from them the rest of the game. :?

The two TU fans sitting next to me, after hooping it up pretty good in the first half, didn't make a peep in the second half until they mumbled  "excuse me" on their way out of our row with 3:00 or so to go...  8-)