TU Predictions

Old Titan

Anticipating one of the smaller crowds in ORU-TU history Tuesday night, but hope I'm wrong.

Let's face it:  this series has lost some of it's luster.  Can't put my finger on why, but can only attribute it to TU's mediocrity the past few years affecting how many of their people come to the games at the Mabee Center, and the significance of the game from ORU's standpoint plummeting after having joined a conference.  ORU simply doesn't need the win (or even the game) the way they used to when they were an independent.

All that said, a month ago I thought TU would win this game.  That's because I thought they would be better than they were last year, and that ORU would still be searching for it's identity at this time, especially in the frontline.  Surprisingly, neither is the case:  TU was blown out on a neutral floor by a Hampton team that has since lost 3 straight, and has looked sluggish while winning their last two outings at home against 300+ RPI Arkansas State and NAIA exhibition foe Northwest Oklahoma.  ORU, on the other hand, has seen Marcus Lewis emerge as a force underneath, and with the return of Marchello Vealy, actually has TU outmanned in the blocks.  ORU also has a decided advantage off the bench, while TU has lost budding standout Bishop Wheatley to injury, plus former starting point guard Mark Hill quit the team a week or so ago (second significant player defection since the end of last season).

If ORU's stable of guards, whose play so far has been streaky both home and away, can take care of the ball and hit a reasonable percentage from the perimeter, I think ORU could win this one handily, perhaps by double digits.

Prediction:  a typical ORU-TU affair, lots of intense defense making the offenses look bad.  Overzealous referees put both teams in foul trouble.  A similar pattern to ORU's last two victories over Louisiana-Lafayette and Lamar:  close game till the last 5-10 minutes of the game, when ORU's size and depth begins to take its toll.  Free throw shooting seals the deal down the stretch - ORU 70, TU 62

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• OKC Eagle

• ORU_Ed

• jazzo711

If Earls can get hot I don't know - he's seriously a good to great shooter. If Yemi can stay on him I like our chances. I like our frontline match-ups vs. TU Lewis/Vealy/King/& maybe even Yemi - Walls is good inside presence but they don't seem to play him in tandem with Jordan which would free him up for more dunks and blocks (maybe due to a short bench).

If we come out taking a lot of outside shots we'll lose. If we come out and throw it inside it gives us a better chance.

ORU 72, Tulsa 70 -

Both teams have decent talent, but also have some questions, and each are trying to find themselves.

ORU is riding a little momentum after the road win at Lamar, and the home court advantage gives the Eagles the edge they need.

I look forward to this game each year, and it means a lot to both fan bases, because we are cross-town rivals.  I suspect there will be great intensity this year, just as there always is in the past.  A difference may be that neither team is very confident going into this game, because they are still each finding themselves.

In the past, this game was played around December 10th or so.  I'm not sure why they are playing in late November this time around.  I always like to have a couple more games under our belt before we face Tulsa, because this game means so much to each team and fan base, so you want some more experience so you can be sure to put your best foot forward.

Fortunately, since ORU has started playing solid defense, I don't see a possibility for a blowout loss happening Tuesday night.  I think it will be close all the way, and I expect a strong double-digit performance (points scored) from Marcus Lewis, Marchello Vealy, and Shawn King.

I predict an ugly, half-court game, that said I'm very much looking forward to watching this match-up.  The team with better offensive efficiency (i.e., fewer turnovers and better shot selection) will win the game.  The two key stats will be TURNOVERS (team who commits the fewest) and LAYUPS (team that gets the most) will win. 

Like OT, I don't expect a very good crowd (actual attendance of less than 5,000) which is disappointing but indicative of the interest levels in the two programs right now throughout the city.  Advantage HOME team, 61-57.

Hopefully the crowd will be better than you think.  This is one weekday game I will drive up for. 

I know nothing about TU (accept that I hate them--j/k, that's from an old Bloom County comic), so I can't make much of a reasoned prediction.  I am just looking forward to seeing a live game again.

I will guess from the heart ORU 77, TU 63.

I think our post players present some real match-up problems for TU. We should be able to find scoring down low and if we are hitting shots from the perimeter it could be a long night for the Hurricane.

Tulsa has not displayed the same defensive intensity they showed last year, but I expect it to be back on Tuesday. Uzoh, Earls  and Andrews are talented and can shoot the ball. Let's hope that TU continues to turn the ball over at a 20.7 per game clip. Of course, we are not much better.

My prediction:  ORU wins, 72 to 62

I'm predicting 6,000 total attendance- ORU will have its typical 3,000 die hards and 500 casual fans that come out for special games. TU will have 2,000. There will be 500 neutral observors. Be ready for the "pile on" from a few classless TU fans about the lawsuit. 

Be ready for the "pile on" from a few classless TU fans about the lawsuit. 

Oh yes VC.  Considering they rushed the court after beating us last year, you know they'll be in rare form this year with some actual "new material".  They finally won't be drawing on quotes from 1987.  I expect some nice creativity from a few of them. 

AND of course with two teams that are still finding who they will be this year, I like ORU 63-55

since my prognostication skills stink and my predictions are always wrong....i pick TU over ORU :-D

What is student turnout going to be like?

It's a Tuesday night during "dead week", student turnout should be really good. I said "should", not "will". Who knows.

Oh yeah, ORU 63 TU 51.