• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• OKC Eagle

• ORU_Ed

• jazzo711

The students NEED to attend this game.  It will get a lot of media attention and ORU could use some good pub right now.  It would be a great show of support to the Tulsa community by the students for ORU.  Spread the word at hall meeting tonight and get everybody down there!

Thanksgiving was early.  I bet finals are 2 weeks away.

This has got to be the deadest this board has been one day before TU.  Gold isn't even here talking smack.  Maybe we are all just too weary from recent events.  I could use a dead week myself.

Too full of food from the weekend Eagle.  Or too busy having a blast dealing with ins. co. after being hit on our trip last week.  YUK!

I'm wanting to get dressed up and rowdy for this game but of course I'll look like I should be 20yrs old and in the maniac section instead of 36 and in Mid section N.

I sure wish the maniac spirit at the games would spread to other "older" fans like those on the board.  I'm still the only one of my friends that are willing to paint my face (that's at you ORU_Isbig, TMH, Terry, EagleFanatic, & Others).  Come on guys.  join me looking like a freak.

This game is important for several reason:

1. City bragging rights for the year.

2. OOC home game against an opponent in a stronger conference.

3. Area recruiting.

4. It's TU! They're like that older brother you want to beat in any sport any chance you get. It's kind of like "sticking it to the man".

Yet I have to admit that the game just has not gotten me excited this year like it usually does. How are they the underdog? We don't have Caleb Green and Ken Tutt anymore. Aren't we supposed to barely be able to compete in D-1?!?!?!  :roll:

Yet I have to admit that the game just has not gotten me excited this year like it usually does. How are they the underdog? We don't have Caleb Green and Ken Tutt anymore. Aren't we supposed to barely be able to compete in D-1?!?!?!  :roll:

I think it's just too early.  I used to love this game being played at the end of the year, because there was so much comparison along the way, but conference affilaitions and tournaments have made that impractical.  I wish they would play it now right before or right after the first of the year, before beginning conference play. 

Ideally, if the game has to be played this early, I think the game would get exponential attention as part of a 4-team, 2-night preview, with ORU and TU as hosts at the BOK Center.  You would alternate between OU, OSU, and Arkansas (one every three years), plus a fourth "mystery" non-BCS type school from anywhere (like a Wichita State, a Gonzaga, or a Marquette).  The first night would be ORU or TU against the mystery team in the prelim, with the other local team playing OU/OSU/Arkansas in the nightcap.  The OU/OSU/Arkansas team would play the mystery team in the second night prelim, while ORU and TU would always play each other as the second night main event.  How cool would THAT be?  8-)

Thanksgiving was early.  I bet finals are 2 weeks away.

Yeah we have two weeks til finals, so hopefully we can get a good turnout from students, i know im telling all the people i see.

Ideally, if the game has to be played this early, I think the game would get exponential attention as part of a 4-team, 2-night preview, with ORU and TU as hosts at the BOK Center.  You would alternate between OU, OSU, and Arkansas (one every three years), plus a fourth "mystery" non-BCS type school from anywhere (like a Wichita State, a Gonzaga, or a Marquette).  The first night would be ORU or TU against the mystery team in the prelim, with the other local team playing OU/OSU/Arkansas in the nightcap.  The OU/OSU/Arkansas team would play the mystery team in the second night prelim, while ORU and TU would always play each other as the second night main event.  How cool would THAT be?  8-)

I don't think this would ever happen, as the ORU-TU game will (or at least, historically has) bring a large gate to the hosting school, which would then need to be shared among the other Big Five school and the mystery guest.  It would also force ORU and TU to play their rivalry game on the night after a game, when they would normally not be very sharp.  Why waste the TU/ORU rivalry game for this purpose?  However, I do like the idea (and always have) of a four team classic like you describe, except that ORU and TU would each play both the other Big Five school and the mystery guest in doubleheaders on consecutive nights.  And, THEN, one or two weeks later, play the rivalry game.

OT

I want to buy my tickets to your tourney right now!   I guess they would have to work out some sort of revenue sharing arrangement but surely if the attendance is as low as predicted, that could be done.   If a tourney could double attendance, seems that would be a great thing for all involved.  

Will you be handling tickets to this event?   Will a seat license be involved?  

Sign me up baby.

Ideally, if the game has to be played this early, I think the game would get exponential attention as part of a 4-team, 2-night preview, with ORU and TU as hosts at the BOK Center.  You would alternate between OU, OSU, and Arkansas (one every three years), plus a fourth "mystery" non-BCS type school from anywhere (like a Wichita State, a Gonzaga, or a Marquette).  The first night would be ORU or TU against the mystery team in the prelim, with the other local team playing OU/OSU/Arkansas in the nightcap.  The OU/OSU/Arkansas team would play the mystery team in the second night prelim, while ORU and TU would always play each other as the second night main event.  How cool would THAT be?   8-)

If you do this like ORUBlue82 suggests, they call an event like this the All-College Tournament in Oklahoma City.  Can the state support two tournaments like this?  Would Tulsa be willing to support their local teams like OKC supports OU and OSU?

I think this would be an awesome event, I would definitely attend. But I also don't know if Tulsa would support its teams like OKC supports OU and OSU. Also, would the 2 state schools commit to playing in a 2nd event with the All-College in OKC? And, would this marquee event mean TU would have to formally recognize us as some sort of rival? Surely, they would never stoop to that level  :lol: I think they would rather discuss their mythical running rivalry with OSU. Just kidding, but at least The Mayor's Cup has a Wikipedia page lol:

Mayor's Cup

(By the way, I have less knowledge about computers than anyone on earth, so that link came out weird)

Moving on- I can't remember back to when the BOK Center idea was forged, but were there also plans to create entertainment, restaurants, etc. around that area of downtown? I'm assuming there were...When the Big 12 held their basketball and baseball tournaments here last year, fans from each school set up their own little areas to tailgate, a few streets were blocked off with little pre-game events and activities for the kids. Then after their respective games, fans walked to Bricktown to eat, walk the canal and hang out. It was a great atmosphere for college basketball. And it was fun to see families, alumni, and fans of each school intermingle. Same with the All-College, but the time of year and the fact that its played on a Tuesday doesnt help- I've never understood that.

Anyway, it made me envious that the Mid-Con/Summit League or ORU wasn't involved in an event like that. Now, I know that it would never be on that scale, but it could have its own feel and identity- a la the MVC tourney in St. Louis. It also helps when the conference's schools aren't 1,000s of miles apart and all of the teams have fan support.

So, short answer, I think it would be a great idea. Tulsa has a lot of great spots in town, they just aren't in the same area. I look forward to the new arena and subsequent downtown revival solve that problem and Tulsa can start hosting those types of events.

I'll cheat on my prediction - and use the Sagarin rating, which calls for a 7 point ORU victory (79-72).  While the 7 point spread seems about right, I think 71-64 is more in tune with the trials of early-season offensive play.  While I believe either team could win, it will likely be the team with the fewer turnovers that emerges victorious.

TU was in better position going into this year than ORU but... we have 2 starters now gone for good and our predicted 6th man out with an injury. TU is pretty lost right now and it will take a stellar effort to challenge ORU.

ORU - 71

TU - 57

As for ORU's other non-sports related issues, look for that to get much better in the next couple days, good news coming.

ash  =o)

I'm wanting to get dressed up and rowdy for this game but of course I'll look like I should be 20yrs old and in the maniac section instead of 36 and in Mid section N.

I sure wish the maniac spirit at the games would spread to other "older" fans like those on the board.  I'm still the only one of my friends that are willing to paint my face (that's at you ORU_Isbig, TMH, Terry, EagleFanatic, & Others).  Come on guys.  join me looking like a freak.

I got an Eli decal for my face - does that count?

I predict classless actions by TU fans...

Not all of them, but yes some will be classless in their chants and rants.