Favorite YouTube Videos

tmh8286

VERY interesting video, alum.  I've actually spent quite a bit of time on his web site, watching these little "vignette" videos that he does.  He is amazingly transparent about his thoughts and feelings, and I've thought through all of the facade he's really a seeker.  I think, deep in his heart, he's looking for the one thing that would make God real to him. 

In one of the videos I watched he talked about the fact that his parents were both born-again Christians, and that even though he renounced Christianity in favor of atheism at young age, his parents loved him anyway, unconditionally.  He was saying this in response to a question he had received regarding how he would respond if his own children chose to become believers and embrace Christianity.  He said he would respond in the same way that his parents chose to respond to him - with unconditional love.

Penn Jillett may take his atheism to the grave with him - but I've seen enough in his videos for me to offer up an extra little prayer for him from time to time.  Behind the resolute exterior, I really sense he is a seeker.  The gracious man mentioned in this video may just be part of the work that is chipping away at Penn's granite exterior.

You know, his analogy of what someone would do if a semi was bearing down on another person shows a pretty deep grasp of the gravity involved in the differences between Christianity and atheism. 

Out of curiosity, alum, how did you come across that video?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• ORUalum

• Dr. Cornelius

• ORUTerry

i couldn't let this thread die...

this is absolute genius.  i know everyone has wished they could run on their treadmill outdoors (because running on the ground is so yesterday).  like it says at the end "NOW IS THE TIME TO INVEST".

this one had me laughing out loud after watching it and then reading some of the comments posted on youtube.

They're going to have to gear that sucker down before I give it a try.  Even when he was on the level it looked like he was running uphill.  Give me a nice gentle walking pace and I . . . hey, wait a minute!!!  If you're outside why not just WALK, without the treadmill? 

You know, that idea might just be crazy enough to work . . .

VERY interesting video, alum.  I've actually spent quite a bit of time on his web site, watching these little "vignette" videos that he does.  He is amazingly transparent about his thoughts and feelings, and I've thought through all of the facade he's really a seeker.  I think, deep in his heart, he's looking for the one thing that would make God real to him. 

In one of the videos I watched he talked about the fact that his parents were both born-again Christians, and that even though he renounced Christianity in favor of atheism at young age, his parents loved him anyway, unconditionally.  He was saying this in response to a question he had received regarding how he would respond if his own children chose to become believers and embrace Christianity.  He said he would respond in the same way that his parents chose to respond to him - with unconditional love.

Penn Jillett may take his atheism to the grave with him - but I've seen enough in his videos for me to offer up an extra little prayer for him from time to time.  Behind the resolute exterior, I really sense he is a seeker.  The gracious man mentioned in this video may just be part of the work that is chipping away at Penn's granite exterior.

You know, his analogy of what someone would do if a semi was bearing down on another person shows a pretty deep grasp of the gravity involved in the differences between Christianity and atheism. 

Out of curiosity, alum, how did you come across that video?

thanks for the background on penn.  the video made me think of my grandad who was a gideon.  i remember he always had those little new testaments handy and would give them to people.

i came across the video over at hotair.com

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/12/19/aww-the-official-atheistchristian-reconciliation-post/

Thanks.  I see that HotAir.com got it off of Breitbart, so it's made the rounds of conservative web sites.  I hope that well intentioned but mis-guided Christians don't end up undoing the good done by the sincere Gideon. 

As a editorial comment to the video, AllahPundit said:

"As a believer, I’m impressed with Penn’s message and the acknowledgment of the love behind true evangelization. However, I suspect Penn may regret offering this encouragement before too long."

If he only realized, Penn has been saying stuff similar to this for a long time.

If you check out that "bad vibes"  link on the HotAir.com page you'll find a discussion that illustrates my concern:  Michelle Malkin and Gretchen Carlson discussing the athiest display being stolen at the Illinois capitol.  Their combative posture, while natural, I don't think would convert many atheists.

three things concerning that video tmh

1.  the Speed Board looks a lot like the Treadmobil sans the wheels and hand rails.

2.  i'm no marketing genius, but wouldn't the ad be more effective w/a before and after of the "plus sized model."  wait a month or twenty to release the ad so you can throw in 10 seconds of time elapse video of Bertha shedding the pounds.

3.  i want the image of her running in slow motion and the giggle of her rolls out of my head...thanks "a ton" tmh for sharing that video.

• 1 month later...

Anti-Dentite Propaganda?  i'm not sure, but i want some of what they gave him.

David After Dentist

Here's a follow-up video by Penn Jillett to the one posted previously.  Keep praying for this guy, folks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCYp7ulGtoQ&feature=channel

I find his videos fascinating - I couldn't disagree more with many of his beliefs, yet his independent thinking is SO refreshing from a show-biz type.  He's got a response to the "I Pledge" video I posted earlier in the "If you drink poison . . ." thread, called "Penn Says: Pledging to be a Servant" that states the folly of that whole deal better than I ever could, but he throws a few f-bombs around so I decided not to post it.  But it's worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to this video by the daughter of an old college buddyof mine I just reconnected with through the miracle of Facebook.  I guarantee if you listen to it twice you won't be able to get it out of your head for a week!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This seems to be making the email rounds - I've gotten it from a couple of people lately -

• 3 months later...