• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• ORUalum

• Dr. Cornelius

• ORUTerry

Now THAT'S cool! I need one of those - it would be my only hope of ever winning at pool. The other guy can't use it, though . . .

. . . And that kid's DESTINED to be a hockey fan :!: !!

I've said it before - but I'll say it again (especially since things are so slow otherwise) - the win by the US hockey team over the Soviets in 1980 was probably the most memorable sports moment in my life.

You won't get an argument from TheEagleman on that one, TMH....the USA Hockey win in 1980 over the evil empire /USSR certainly has to be the biggest sports upset of all time when you consider the world spotlight on the event....and the fact the the Soviets had embarrassed the Americans at Madison Sq. Garden only 10 days before (10-2).....no one gave the USA a chance except maybe Coach Herb Brooks....rest his soul.... :clap:

By the way, TMH...loved the Penn Jillett video....he's a facinating dude....and I agree that deep down he is seeking something in his life...especially if his parents were born again....somehow, he knows what the truth is....TheEagleman prays the the blinders are removed from his eyes some day soon.... ;)

You won't get an argument from TheEagleman on that one, TMH....the USA Hockey win in 1980 over the evil empire /USSR certainly has to be the biggest sports upset of all time when you consider the world spotlight on the event....and the fact the the Soviets had embarrassed the Americans at Madison Sq. Garden only 10 days before (10-2).....no one gave the USA a chance except maybe Coach Herb Brooks....rest his soul.... :clap:

Eagleman, I don't think you were on the board when that movie came out and we discussed it on here a bit. While it was a good movie, I contended at the time that it didn't really portray the good vs. evil that we all felt with that game. In the movie it was treated more like a classic rivalry - like the Eagles vs. the Giants or something.

Back in the day, when we all sat down in front of the TV to watch the game via tape delay, it truly was good vs. evil, light vs. darkness, Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader, Wyatt Earp vs. the Cowboys, democracy vs communism, freedom vs. the Iron Curtain. I didn't think the movie really developed that very well.

What did you think of the movie?

Well,TheEagleman enjoyed Miracle on Ice and especially the portrayal of Herb Brooks by Kurt Russell.....But, yeah....I think you are right on about how much we hated the Russians in those cold war days that got Ronald Reagan elected that same year....the Soviets were the enemy pure and simple and the domination by their hockey team just made it all the more easy to hate them....plus, it made up a little for how the USA got hosed in that 1972 Gold medal basketball game in Munich....actually, it made up a lot....that 1980 game was pure heaven....what most people forget though was that it was NOT the Gold medal game but only a semi final game and the USA actually did not win the gold until we beat Finland two days later...also, the game was shown on tape delay at 8pm on ABC on a friday night...the game was played at 5pm because the Soviets refused to agree to a change in the face off time to accomodate American television...well, screw them!... :rock: ...and guess what, TheEagleman still doesn't care much for the Ruskies....(just a joke, OT).... :lol:

Regarding the gold medal round, a while back I was watching Jeopardy when someone drew the "answer", The team that the USA hockey team beat to win the 1980 gold medal. I was CERTAIN that it was the Soviet Union. I was SHOCKED, to the point of looking it up on Wikipedia to double-check, when the "question" was, Who was Finland?!?!

Yep...it was a 4-2 win over the Fins in a game that had an 11am face off...TheEagleman recalls missing the first two periods until I got home from church and being shocked the the USA trailed 2-1 to Finland heading to the 3rd period...had we lost that game, the Russians would have still won the Gold Medal despite to horrible loss to the USA because you carried the points from the first round gained against Medal round opponents into the Medal Round ....we only had 1 pt...a first game tie vs. Sweden....the USA HAD to beat Finland or they would only have gotten a bronze.....not sure if they had the scene in the movie but USA Captain, Mike Eruzione tells the true story that the team sat quietly in the locker room trailing 2-1 between the 2nd and 3rd periods waiting for Coach Brooks to come in with some words of wisdom.....Herb walked into the room and all he said was..."if you lose this game, you'll take it to your F*%#-ing grave!!!"....then he walked out the door and stuck his head back in and yelled..."YOUR F&%#-ING GRAVE!!!!"......gotta love that.....the USA squad went out and blitzed the Fins for 3 quick goals and dominated the 3rd period to win the Gold....i guess Herb Brooks knew how to motivate, huh?..... ;)

...TheEagleman was reading viewing some earlier posts on this thread and he has been to the Palestra many times to watch college basketball over the past 40+ yrs.....it's definitely one of the great places to play and for spectators because you are right on the action and not a bad seat in the house....it's on the Penn campus but other Philly teams also play games there for various reasons....I have some great memories there including sitting on the front row next to the Seminoles bench and with EaglemanJR for a game about 20 yrs ago between LaSalle and Florida State featuring All Americans Lionel Simmons/LaSalle and George McCloud/FSU....both players scored 40+ and LaSalle won by 101-100 in OT...and no, ORU has NEVER played here in Philly at the Palestra or any of the basketball venues....we did play up at Villanova while Bill Self was the coach but Nova is about 10 miles outside the city limits.... :!:

Don't want to change the subject, and this is not an actual video... but just wondering if anybody caught a replay of this radio clip from the Mariners/Blue Jays game on 9/29...

Mariners' color man and former major leaguer Mike Blowers predicted in the pre-game show that rookie Matt Tuiasosopo would hit his first major league HR, and jokingly added the home run would come in Tuiasosopo's second at bat on a 3-1 count fastball, and the ball would land in the second deck in left center field.

Here's the full call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFxfEjx3zo

That's incredible, Maniac....i must say that TheEagleman is very impressed with that prediction....now, can this guy give me the trifecta in the 5th race at Philadelphia Park on Monday?..... ;)