Re: Rotnei Clarke

dchief42

If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?

• Kansas
    • Oklahoma
    • Oklahoma State
    • Oral Roberts
    • Tulsa
    • Kentucky
    • Arizona State
    • Other

Thanks for sharing, Terry.  Not all of us would have been able to read the text of that link. 

It is always good to be named in the same breath as Arkansas, Oklahoma, Memphis, Kentucky and Arizona State when a recruit is being discussed, regardless of the outcome.  Although I'm not sure how to take "an option", as long as it's the option he takes, I don't really care how he wants to characterize it!  :-D

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

However the excitement is simply not there when talking about ORU. He never mentions them as part of any list he gives me, he always talks about winning "national championships" and his criteria for what he is looking for in a school contains none of the trademarks of an Oral Roberts type program.

...and, the scale tips once again!

And just when I thought we might actually be leading in the game!  :|

Seriously, that is is a very well-written and balanced article.

But I must say, in all the many articles and interviews I have seen/heard involving Rotnei and Conley Clarke these past few months, I have never once heard either of them mention "national championships" as a criteria in Rotnei's choice.

Rotnei did mention that playing near his family is important last week on "You Make the Call".

This process is pretty interesting.... wonder if Rotnei knows where he is going yet - or will he make up his mind in November?

All I know is that every time I see a new post on this thread my heart skips a beat.  You know, it's an interesting situation having Conley Clarke floating around the athletic department, doing whatever he does, attending practices and the like, all the while knowing that the other ORU coaches are in a do-or-die battle with other programs that he's helping to schedule Rotneis visits with.  It's got to put him in an unenviable position.

Unless . . .

Another possibility is that Rotnei is feeling some family pressure to go to ORU but really does not want to and so he keeps ORU's name out there to keep the family happy.  I hope that is not the case.

My dad was (and still is) a professor at ORU when I started college.  Because I felt like ORU was my only option, I did not want to go there.  Once I got there, and still to this day, I was very glad I went to ORU, largely because of the Christian atmospere--not just the faculty but also the students.  Sure there were some bad eggs in the mix, but the majority of the peer pressure was positive.  The wisdom of going to ORU was all confirmed when I went to OU law school.  What an eye opener to hear professors swear in class and don't even get me started about differences in school newspapers.

I just hope that Rotnei is not feeling pressure to go to ORU that will end up keep him away.  I did not have the means to go anywhere else.  Clearly, he does.

When Rotnei is being interviewed in Kentucky, he probably mentions that playing for a national championship is important to him, because that's what UK fans want to hear.

When he is in Tulsa, he talks about staying close to home/family, and the importance of his beliefs, because that is what the ORU fan base  wants to hear.

Think about any big decision you have made in your life.  When you have several good options, you pray, you look at it from many angles, and until you make your final decision, you cover all your bases to keep your options open.

I don't think Rotnei has made up his mind yet, and he would regret it if he did not go on these visits so he can really see the big picture on all his options.  By taking advantage of the recruiting process, he can be at peace that when he makes his final decision, he had all the information that he needed, and therefore he made the best choice for him.

When he is in Kentucky, he may choose not to mention ORU in his list, because if he does, then the next follow-up question will be probing the situation with his father being employed at ORU, and he is probably sick of talking about it.

If he does end up committing to ORU, the fact that he checked out all his other options will only strengthen his confidence in his commitment.

I do wonder why he isn't taking a visit to OU though, since we have heard that OU is high on his list.

Yeah, I get dizzy just reading about it all!  I can't help but believe that the Clarkes have narrowed down Rotnei's choices at least somewhat.  It's kind of like applying to schools - you may apply to several - let's say 5 or 6, but there's really one or two you're hoping to get in to.  That doesn't mean you tell the others they're second on your list - you still go interview and put your best foot forward, but in your mind you are hoping that the right one accepts you.

That's not a perfect analogy, because Rotnei will be doing the selecting, but it kind of gets my point across.  I would think that he has it narrowed down to maybe a couple or three at this point.

FYI, someone is posting as Conley Clarke on the Tulsa board. My guess is that it is some random friend/relative posing. It is hard to imagine a D1 coach being so reckless.

ash  =o)

FYI, someone is posting as Conley Clarke on the Tulsa board. My guess is that it is some random friend/relative posing. It is hard to imagine a D1 coach being so reckless.

ash   =o)

Yeah, I saw this on your board, Ash, and don't know quite what to make of it.  My first inclination is to take it at face value.  As everyone knows, though, anyone can say anything on a message board, and there's really no way to validate it.

Well, the IP is logged so it can be traced to a computer. That post does not seem as legit as the ones on the Gonzaga board. If they are legit, I think it is really poor judgment for an ORU coach to be posting about an ORU recruit on public message boards, especially in defensive or pandering ways. It should not matter that it is his son. I would argue that coach or not, a parent should be posting openly as the parent, especially during recruiting. The intent could be fine but it can do nothing but cause problems.

The Tulsa thread got pretty nasty (not in a smash ORU way) and it was deleted, probably best for all parties. Someone needs to tell coach to zip it up and privately enjoy the ride.

ash  =o)

There is absolutely no way to determine if that quote (since removed) is from Conley Clarke or not, IP addresses be damned.

I find it interesting that a TU fan finds it necessary to post on the ORU message board a potentially incendiary quote of questionable origin and intent, a post deemed so controversial on the TU message board that it was eventually eliminated by their message board administrator.

In light of the dubious nature of the Conley Clarke post, and the rather obvious intent of the TU fan to embarrass all involved with ORU by posting it here, I think Doc or Terry should immediately remove it. (already done).

Wow, Ash!   :-o

Someone needs to tell coach to zip it up and privately enjoy the ride.

ash  =o)

WTH !?!?!  :?

One other thing. I dont think this has anything to do with NCAA violations or some crud like that. If you saw the TU thread you would have seen my prayerful and heartfelt reply about the situation. I have met Rotnei and he is a terrific kid. I hope he comes to TU but if he doesnt, I hope he goes to ORU where I will watch him play any time there is not a conflict with TU. Why post this? Because whoever is doing this, and it looks like Conley may have said some things, is damaging Rotnei IMHO.

Clearly, it is someone in the know and someone posting as an ORU Coach about an ORU recruit on an open message board is inviting problems. "I think my son will fit in good there..." etc. just doesnt feel right to me...

ash  =o)

"I think my son will fit in good there..." etc. just doesnt feel right to me...

ash   =o)

Which is exactly why it shouldn't be re-posted over here, Ash. It's trash.

And having a TU fan with an obvious agenda posting all this garbage on our message board just "doesn't feel right to me".

Thanks for you "concern", but frankly no one associated with ORU athletics needs - or wants - your help.

But, by all means, please feel free to continue your "prayerful and heartfelt" vigal for our coaching staff and recruiting efforts - just do it over on the TU message board.